Top Shelf Aquatics

On 8/16/2018 at 1:37 PM, vereef said:

Hi Aquacrazed! I'm new here and this is very inspiring and encouraging, especially since I have a 1.5 month old evo 13.5 and I'm looking for ideas. Thanks for sharing!

Just curious, how many hours are you running your lights?

Daylights are on for 10 hours/day

18 hours ago, Aquacrazed said:

Daylights are on for 10 hours/day

Thanks, Aquacrazed. Saving up for a light upgrade, but until then I will bump my stock lighting hours to 10 to hopefully experience some of the success you had.

• 2 months later...
On 6/10/2018 at 2:02 AM, Aquacrazed said:

New wavemaker pump! Aqamai KPS. I'm absolutely blown away by this pump, this is quite possibly the closest thing to an MP10 without the huge price tag. Wave customization is pretty much endless, smooth waves and finally I am able to get that natural wavelike action in my tank now. Made by Hydor, so you know it's got to be reliable.

IMG_5703.jpg

Are the KPS modes documented anywhere ?   Like what is "Smooth" mode ?  How is it different than "Constant" ?   Or is it more like a smooth version of "Wave" ?

Floundering_Around
On 11/10/2018 at 3:57 PM, sarcophyton said:

Are the KPS modes documented anywhere ?   Like what is "Smooth" mode ?  How is it different than "Constant" ?   Or is it more like a smooth version of "Wave" ?

Smooth mode is a constant oscillation between whatever set of ranges you tell it to go between, so it's like counting from 1 to 100 and then back down to 1. Constant is like a generic powerhead that continuously moves water at the same speed

• 4 weeks later...

New protein skimmer! Aquatic Life 115 Protein Skimmer. My Fluval P2 skimmer's motor died. It was a piece of junk, caused a lot of micro bubbles (only ran it during late night) and it was loud. This new Aquatic Life skimmer is working out quite well so far. It's a bit loud but no micro bubbles.

IMG_6472.thumb.JPG.b341f3eb8f4e9e42315ccbb7ea317442.JPGIMG_6473.thumb.JPG.1d2e8097d7772d6da9c1d8c4e6ac74ae.JPG

14 hours ago, Aquacrazed said:

New protein skimmer! Aquatic Life 115 Protein Skimmer. My Fluval P2 skimmer's motor died. It was a piece of junk, caused a lot of micro bubbles (only ran it during late night) and it was loud. This new Aquatic Life skimmer is working out quite well so far. It's a bit loud but no micro bubbles.

IMG_6472.thumb.JPG.b341f3eb8f4e9e42315ccbb7ea317442.JPGIMG_6473.thumb.JPG.1d2e8097d7772d6da9c1d8c4e6ac74ae.JPG

it looks very similar to the fluval ps2 mini skimmer. Did you make any adjustments to the lid to fit it in. Also is it powered by a USB?

1 hour ago, hyoib said:

it looks very similar to the fluval ps2 mini skimmer. Did you make any adjustments to the lid to fit it in. Also is it powered by a USB?

No adjustments, it drops right in, fits exactly like the P2 skimmer in chamber 1.

6 month tank update:

My 2 birdsnest colonies died off during the summer because of the heat (tank temps were at 86F some days). Although there are some small frags from one colony starting up again. Also my meteor shower recently died, no idea why. All the other corals have grown quite nicely. Green Slimer is showing remarkable growth! And this is an Acropora! Maybe I need to add a few more Acros 🙂

IMG_6476.thumb.JPG.16d261ee751dfdcaa3503fd80ddaf822.JPG

IMG_6475.thumb.JPG.fb7c7452938ef3cf1a488054f0dda237.JPG

• Like 8
  • Wow 1
  • 1 month later...

Aquacrazed, this is truly inspiring.  Thanks for sharing and enlightening us.  Wondered if you could share some info on

1) your substrate 

2) filtration (more details)

3) and what you’re dosing, how much/often?

I’ve been out of the reef hobby for almost 20 years and am looking to get back in with a nano.  I’m just starting to (re)read the volumes of info I went thru the first time round, but so much theory and technology has changed over those years, including the development of forums like this to help the less experienced. Any insights you could share on the above would be greatly appreciated, in addition to what you’ve already so kindly shared. Thanks for considering.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 12/9/2018 at 11:25 PM, Aquacrazed said:

6 month tank update:

My 2 birdsnest colonies died off during the summer because of the heat (tank temps were at 86F some days). Although there are some small frags from one colony starting up again. Also my meteor shower recently died, no idea why. All the other corals have grown quite nicely. Green Slimer is showing remarkable growth! And this is an Acropora! Maybe I need to add a few more Acros 🙂

IMG_6476.thumb.JPG.16d261ee751dfdcaa3503fd80ddaf822.JPG

IMG_6475.thumb.JPG.fb7c7452938ef3cf1a488054f0dda237.JPG

I love what you're achieving with this tank. Any updates on whats happening? 

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
Prezpreston

Absolute newbie to the hobby here - Aquacrazed, your tank is unreal. I’ve been doing boatloads of research and I’m pretty settled on getting an evo 13.5. I see you’ve changed your setup quite a bit since it’s initial start. Would you mind posting your most recent setup as far as equipment goes as well as the livestock you currently have? 

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Sorry about the late reply guys. Thanks for the comments. 

> 1) your substrate 

I believe it's the live carib sea sand, noting special

> 2) filtration (more details)

Take a look at page 1

>3) and what you’re dosing, how much/often?

Just 25% water changes weekly

I haven't made any changes to my setup since my last post. My pink posi bleached recently because of the summer heat, temps were getting to 86F+ in the tank. I do have a small frag of it growing now though. The 12" white LED bar burned out last week, I believe because of the summer heat, will be replacing that next week.

On the plus side, I've sold off about eight 2"- 4" frags of the green slimer because it was overgrowing. Also about a dozen zoa frags and a few baby anemones.

IMG_7171.JPG

• Like 2
  • Wow 4
On 8/15/2019 at 4:00 AM, Aquacrazed said:

Sorry about the late reply guys. Thanks for the comments. 

> 1) your substrate 

I believe it's the live carib sea sand, noting special

> 2) filtration (more details)

Take a look at page 1

>3) and what you’re dosing, how much/often?

Just 25% water changes weekly

I haven't made any changes to my setup since my last post. My pink posi bleached recently because of the summer heat, temps were getting to 86F+ in the tank. I do have a small frag of it growing now though. The 12" white LED bar burned out last week, I believe because of the summer heat, will be replacing that next week.

On the plus side, I've sold off about eight 2"- 4" frags of the green slimer because it was overgrowing. Also about a dozen zoa frags and a few baby anemones.

IMG_7171.JPG

Looking incredible! how do you keep your sandbed clean with all those corals?! 

• Like 1
On 8/17/2019 at 9:29 AM, hyoib said:

Looking incredible! how do you keep your sandbed clean with all those corals?! 

Actually I do nothing, I can't remember the last time I cleaned the sandbed (well over a year ago). There is some buildup of gunk at the bottom though if you look closely. I have some bristleworms, two cerith snails and two hermit crabs that seem to do a decent job.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 9:10 AM, Aquacrazed said:

Actually I do nothing, I can't remember the last time I cleaned the sandbed (well over a year ago). There is some buildup of gunk at the bottom though if you look closely. I have some bristleworms, two cerith snails and two hermit crabs that seem to do a decent job.

How is your water so clear? I can’t get mine crystal clear. I have a lot of plankton growing and whizzing around .

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I tried to replicate this, At least the lighting - As my noob self put an anemone in here with the stock lighting.. I did cave and spend wayyyy too much on the intank filter on amazon ($63 for a custom piece of plastic) I have noticed a huge difference in water clarity using the two systems and not the sponge. It does require the water to be at a higher level however, so an ATO might be the next step unfortunately. There’s also the upgraded return pump in there, however it’s set to about the speed the original was.

i tried the jebao 10, but my torch never enjoyed it, switched to the Aqamai, and its much happier, I have noticed the colors coming back on the anemone - now I’m more afraid I’m bleaching the zoas and palys thatve been happy on top of that rock.

the blue isn’t nearly that bad in person..

Some before and after:

FD8E6C82-8632-4B0D-845E-D5872E3C33A5.jpeg

C9DB5490-F5CB-4B33-84D6-F7576A1243F0.jpeg

A79080E0-AF0A-47F6-B9DE-5E816DFC4F7E.jpeg

4F7FD8DB-8B4B-421F-B52F-55DDCE916C53.jpeg

55A5FF5E-C261-447D-8CBA-6574695D75C7.jpeg

BC2DECC8-ED97-4E4F-9202-FCB519A4D7AC.jpeg

• Like 3
22 hours ago, LinkEB3 said:

I tried to replicate this, At least the lighting - As my noob self put an anemone in here with the stock lighting.. I did cave and spend wayyyy too much on the intank filter on amazon ($63 for a custom piece of plastic) I have noticed a huge difference in water clarity using the two systems and not the sponge. It does require the water to be at a higher level however, so an ATO might be the next step unfortunately. There’s also the upgraded return pump in there, however it’s set to about the speed the original was.

i tried the jebao 10, but my torch never enjoyed it, switched to the Aqamai, and its much happier, I have noticed the colors coming back on the anemone - now I’m more afraid I’m bleaching the zoas and palys thatve been happy on top of that rock.

the blue isn’t nearly that bad in person..

Some before and after:

FD8E6C82-8632-4B0D-845E-D5872E3C33A5.jpeg

C9DB5490-F5CB-4B33-84D6-F7576A1243F0.jpeg

A79080E0-AF0A-47F6-B9DE-5E816DFC4F7E.jpeg

4F7FD8DB-8B4B-421F-B52F-55DDCE916C53.jpeg

55A5FF5E-C261-447D-8CBA-6574695D75C7.jpeg

BC2DECC8-ED97-4E4F-9202-FCB519A4D7AC.jpeg

Where did you buy the LEDS's from I'd love to stop blinding my fish in the morning! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2020 at 2:57 PM, Kimdive said:

Where did you buy the LEDS's from I'd love to stop blinding my fish in the morning! 

TrueLumen 12-Inch TrueLumen Pro LED Strip Light, Actinic Pacific Blue with Canopy Brackets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YMU74Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.ouoEbVWQW6KZ

and the white one.

and 

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/10-truelumen-aquatic-led-strip-light-2x-12-000k-2x-rose-current-usa/?receiptfultype=followrecin&receiptful=5e155667ed5e3d0026fabb4a&utm_source=CMCommerce&utm_medium=follow_up&utm_campaign=followup-9&utm_content=recommended_products

x2

With:

Accessory USA 4 Way Splitter Cord + 24 Volt 60 Watt Switching AC Adapter for TrueLumen Pro Dual Dimmable LED Strips & Lunar Light 3-Way Splitter Power Supply Cord Cable Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075T69YPG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7quoEbACJSXZ2

• Like 1
Aqua Splendor
On 6/10/2018 at 2:02 AM, Aquacrazed said:

New wavemaker pump! Aqamai KPS. I'm absolutely blown away by this pump, this is quite possibly the closest thing to an MP10 without the huge price tag. Wave customization is pretty much endless, smooth waves and finally I am able to get that natural wavelike action in my tank now. Made by Hydor, so you know it's got to be reliable.

IMG_5703.jpg

hmmm
Look like the Hydor one:

https://amzn.to/2GVlrhG

Can't tell who own what does days..