ReefCleaners.org

Samnaz's 20L (upgrading to IM Nuvo Black 30L)

samnaz

mitten_reef
1 hour ago, samnaz said:

I put the ricordea back in the tank after removing the rotting flesh stuck to it and examinng it.

the octo was falling apart and dying. When I got home from work the second head was half gone. You think it's possible it would have suddenly stopped dying? Not likely. And it didn't seem like a good idea to leave it rotting in the tank. 

Your assumption about me acting fast and jumping from one thing to another is certainly not accurate. This was one instance in which I acted fast, it was dying fast. I think I made the right call here. Thanks though.

Glad to hear you saved the ricordea.  I wanted to say that they're hardier than you'd think. But figured if u threw it out, then no point. I had one of mine swallowed by a BTA - yes, it got loosed then floated into a BTA's mouth. I noticed the BTA was looking funny, when I couldn't find the ric, so I picked it up, shook it a little, out came a ricordea. Well, it survived not sure how long of being "digested" in BTA, and now that ric is still one of the best color in my ric collection. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

There have been instances of some LPS coming back from basically bare skeleton--I'm not sure how common it is or if octospawn is one of them, but it does happen.

Lost another Euphyllia - the Rainbow Torch. First noticed tissue recession yesterday afternoon. This morning flesh is completely gone. I found my sexy shrimp picking away the leftovers. Maybe the sexy shrimp are the culprits? I do often see them bothering the Euphyllias, only a couple times have I seen them picking at them though.

IMG_0342.thumb.JPG.6e3ad548b592fed39409aa910b55931a.JPG

This one never looked good to begin with. Hopefully the death streak I'm experiencing stops here....

• Sad 1

I'm sorry you're experiencing this difficult streak.

I just now read through the whole thing. 

BurtBollinger has been giving you some pretty good advice and I agree with 98% of it. 

I do see how iodine deficiency might have been an issue with losing inverts and I think it doesn't hurt to dose it in small amounts once a week in that kind of situation. 

Most of what he's saying is spot on though.

Did your Rainbow Torch look unhappy at all before you first saw tissue recession?

Do your Sexy Shrimp get fed regularly?

I have had them pick at Zoa Skirts in the past, but I don't want to just jump into assuming it's them without eliminating other things. 

Is it possible for you to get a cheap suction cup soap dish like this to keep the Sexy Shrimp in temporarily in the tank while eliminating possible causes: https://www.walmart.com/ip/1-Shower-Caddy-Bath-Bathroom-Organizer-Storage-Basket-Soap-Holder-Suction-Cups/172268909

As Lula has suggested, it also wouldn't hurt to dip in lugol's, or even the Seachem Iodide you already have, at the first sign of tissue damage. 

I got my lugol's here: https://www.amazon.com/Kent-Marine-Lugols-Solution-1-Ounce/dp/B0002DIZ52/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1502017907&sr=1-2&keywords=lugols+iodine

Most of the rest of what I would say is what Burt has already said, so I won't repeat that. 

Hoping you get this figured out.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I'm sorry you're experiencing this difficult streak.

I just now read through the whole thing. 

BurtBollinger has been giving you some pretty good advice and I agree with 98% of it. 

I do see how iodine deficiency might have been an issue with losing inverts and I think it doesn't hurt to dose it in small amounts once a week in that kind of situation. 

Most of what he's saying is spot on though.

Did your Rainbow Torch look unhappy at all before you first saw tissue recession?

Do your Sexy Shrimp get fed regularly?

I have had them pick at Zoa Skirts in the past, but I don't want to just jump into assuming it's them without eliminating other things. 

Is it possible for you to get a cheap suction cup soap dish like this to keep the Sexy Shrimp in temporarily in the tank while eliminating possible causes: https://www.walmart.com/ip/1-Shower-Caddy-Bath-Bathroom-Organizer-Storage-Basket-Soap-Holder-Suction-Cups/172268909

As Lula has suggested, it also wouldn't hurt to dip in lugol's, or even the Seachem Iodide you already have, at the first sign of tissue damage. 

I got my lugol's here: https://www.amazon.com/Kent-Marine-Lugols-Solution-1-Ounce/dp/B0002DIZ52/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1502017907&sr=1-2&keywords=lugols+iodine

Most of the rest of what I would say is what Burt has already said, so I won't repeat that. 

Hoping you get this figured out.

I feed the sexy shrimp usually about every 2-3 days. Sometimes I stretch it to 4 days.

I got some Lugol's for if/when this happens again.

The Rainbow Torch was the least happy looking of the bunch. I just thought maybe it was still acclimating or adjusting to the new tank, or maybe it was supposed to have shorter tentacles than other torches I've seen. I wasn't worried about it.

As far as I could tell, I didn't seem anymore unhappy than usual right before I noticed tissue recession. 

It's been 10 days since I added it to the tank. If they had been damaged in shipping, does it take that long to show up?

Not sure if it helps any, but here are some pics of what it looked like before...

IMG_2752-20.jpg.eec858ca0db6fb3fc381d07707e42c25.jpg

IMG_2788-25.jpg.ceca8acddb6ebf3d7dd27adc0451e5e1.jpg

IMG_3154-27.jpg.ddf53613255e22d59b0d1efb2c506d8f.jpg

IMG_2765-22.jpg.444ca2807e8721b014699851c41e8539.jpg

IMG_2949-26.jpg.203fb43b7455e2e0d6c0140a80baf908.jpg

I had a pair of sexy shrimp in my tank before they will bother my zoa and frogspawn as in hosting near them to make them close up once in a while but never actually eat them. I do however feed my tank everyday.

15 minutes ago, bk_market said:

I had a pair of sexy shrimp in my tank before they will bother my zoa and frogspawn as in hosting near them to make them close up once in a while but never actually eat them. I do however feed my tank everyday.

I don't think it was the sexy shrimp that caused the Octo and Torch to die. It seems unlikely, but not impossible... Just considering all the options.  I've had them in my tank with Frogspawn and Torch that have been alive for months. So I really doubt they were the cause. He was most likely just snacking on the dead flesh. I have no reason to assume he snacked on it when it was alive.

2 hours ago, samnaz said:

Actually this is what I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Kent-Marine-Concentrated-Supplement-16-Ounce/dp/B001EWJTDM/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1502021291&sr=1-1&keywords=kent+iodine

Could I use this to dip in the future if this happens again? I was going to order from the link you posted, but it takes 1-2 months to ship...

Look on the bottle and see if it gives instructions for a dip. 

If it does, you can use that. 

You can get this one in 2 days if you have Prime: https://www.amazon.com/Brightwell-Aquatics-ABALUG30-Solution-Conditioners/dp/B001DD8I4I/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1502028814&sr=1-1&keywords=lugols+iodine

On 8/3/2017 at 10:42 PM, yungKitten said:

Can we get an FTS?

My tank is not worthy of a FTS in its current state, hah. I'm not permanently placing any corals on the rocks until I transfer it all to the new tank, so right now it's just a bunch of frags on plugs on frag racks, bleh.

btw got a thread for your new tank yet?

58 minutes ago, samnaz said:

My tank is not worthy of a FTS in its current state, hah. I'm not permanently placing any corals on the rocks until I transfer it all to the new tank, so right now it's just a bunch of frags on plugs on frag racks, bleh.

I have not, but here is a gross sneak peek!
It's finally done cycling I made some water today to do a ~50% water change tomorrow. Clean up crew in the next couple of days me thinks.

GrossFTS.jpg

Your tank can't be worse than this... right?

1 hour ago, samnaz said:

Post one anyway! I always like seeing what stages everyone's tanks go through, pretty and ugly. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, yungKitten said:

I have not, but here is a gross sneak peek!
It's finally done cycling I made some water today to do a ~50% water change tomorrow. Clean up crew in the next couple of days me thinks.

GrossFTS.jpg

Your tank can't be worse than this... right?

Nice... That's not bad at all. I love the tank dimensions and the black sand. Looks great to me, all it needs is a little glass cleaning. Whats that huge filter-like thing hanging on the back? Perhaps it just looks huge because the tank is tiny?

1 hour ago, schgr.cube said:

Post one anyway! I always like seeing what stages everyone's tanks go through, pretty and ugly. 

Ok ok. The corals themselves are very pretty I think, and once they are all situated on the rocks they will look even better. Until then this is where they wait for their forever homes. 

7/31/2017

IMG_3193-24.jpg.c94a770b17eb97f6582812b015d71303.jpg

IMG_3185-21.jpg.725f389a6f039991da8100ca093e588c.jpg

IMG_3188-22.jpg.b6c76113cf46f088a0c8d3a0b7271b1a.jpg

IMG_3172-20.jpg.1bd9fe68fc68aff864cd82dfe6c4799b.jpg

7/31/2017

• Like 5
11 hours ago, samnaz said:

Nice... That's not bad at all. I love the tank dimensions and the black sand. Looks great to me, all it needs is a little glass cleaning. Whats that huge filter-like thing hanging on the back? Perhaps it just looks huge because the tank is tiny?

Ok ok. The corals themselves are very pretty I think, and once they are all situated on the rocks they will look even better. Until then this is where they wait for their forever homes. 

Thanks! It's a modded AC-110. It looks particularly large because the tank is only 9.1 gallons. I'm gonna leave the schmootz on the glass to see if my cuc will eat whatever it is. I don't think it's diatoms, but it's also not cyano as far as I can tell so I'm not sure what it its.

I think your tank looks pretty great! Lots of stuff looks really happy. Thanks for posting.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, yungKitten said:

Thanks! It's a modded AC-110. It looks particularly large because the tank is only 9.1 gallons. I'm gonna leave the schmootz on the glass to see if my cuc will eat whatever it is. I don't think it's diatoms, but it's also not cyano as far as I can tell so I'm not sure what it its.

I think your tank looks pretty great! Lots of stuff looks really happy. Thanks for posting.

oh! I had an AC110 too (now AC70), I'm just so used to seeing it without the lid. It looks so nice and neat with the lid.

3 hours ago, schgr.cube said:

I agree, I think it is looking pretty good so far! When are you upgrading to the Nuvo?

Gee thanks guys. :)

Well I've run into a bit of an issue, and am really second guessing my choice of tank which is the Nuvo Black (just to be clear that's not the AIO version).

I'm not sure it can support 40 pounds of hang on back equipment (Nanobox Quad, Ac70, Aquamaxx skimmer). So I'm pretty sure I'm gunna drill it and go the sump route to be safe. That means I gotta learn everything about drilling plumbing and sumps! It might be a month before I get it all setup and ready for transfer. :( 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, yungKitten said:

There's nothing wrong with taking the time to do it right.

This is very true. Only down side for it taking so long is that some of my corals are growing fast, and I want to get them stuck to their permanent homes so they can spread onto the rocks instead of the frag racks!

I know I won't regret taking the time to figure out drilling and getting a sump. That is, if I don't screw it up and break something..

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, pal said:

I woul drill it ..Will look so nice and clean without all that stuff hanging off it. 

My thoughts exactly.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, samnaz said:

7/31/2017

IMG_3193-24.jpg.c94a770b17eb97f6582812b015d71303.jpg

IMG_3185-21.jpg.725f389a6f039991da8100ca093e588c.jpg

IMG_3188-22.jpg.b6c76113cf46f088a0c8d3a0b7271b1a.jpg

IMG_3172-20.jpg.1bd9fe68fc68aff864cd82dfe6c4799b.jpg

7/31/2017

Ooh!  Looks like you've got some nice pieces waiting!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, samnaz said:

oh! I had an AC110 too (now AC70), I'm just so used to seeing it without the lid. It looks so nice and neat with the lid.

Gee thanks guys. :)

Well I've run into a bit of an issue, and am really second guessing my choice of tank which is the Nuvo Black (just to be clear that's not the AIO version).

I'm not sure it can support 40 pounds of hang on back equipment (Nanobox Quad, Ac70, Aquamaxx skimmer). So I'm pretty sure I'm gunna drill it and go the sump route to be safe. That means I gotta learn everything about drilling plumbing and sumps! It might be a month before I get it all setup and ready for transfer. :( 

I saw the Nuvo Black, and I didn't really love the smoked black back. That is a big reason why I just decided to go with the AIO and call it a day. Drilling and sump is ideal, but I would definitely recommend practicing on a scrap tank before doing the Nuvo lol.

On 8/9/2017 at 9:44 PM, schgr.cube said:

I saw the Nuvo Black, and I didn't really love the smoked black back. That is a big reason why I just decided to go with the AIO and call it a day. Drilling and sump is ideal, but I would definitely recommend practicing on a scrap tank before doing the Nuvo lol.

On 8/9/2017 at 9:59 PM, Lula_Mae said:

I think Petco may still be having their dollar a gallon sale (for scrap tank purposes)

I've got a 2.5 gal I got to practice painting the back black. I'll use that to practice drilling too. I'm kinda nervous. My brother builds guitars and is a drill pro so I'm thinking I might have him do it.

• Like 1
  • samnaz changed the title to Samnaz's 20L (upgrading to IM Nuvo Black 30L)