Cultivated Reef

Samnaz's 20L (upgrading to IM Nuvo Black 30L)

samnaz

Now that I have everything I need to setup the new tank, it's time to get moving!

I've had this empty and abandoned tank sitting in my living room, like this, for MONTHS...

IMG_9222.thumb.JPG.98c1f87c983a28426ec4a6e38c6d2fcc.JPG

Finally I got to working on the leveling mat. I actually struggled quite a bit doing this, I think a tank of this size and weight requires two people but I managed. The mat sat underneath the super heavy tank for months and months so it was really hard to get the sticky backing off.

IMG_9225.thumb.JPG.0babd1ddb43621e1a232b3444e612d6e.JPG

IMG_9227.thumb.JPG.6d0d638cd4c7621bbd2ec54dcbf21a0d.JPG

DONE!

IMG_9263.thumb.JPG.3601d0a88e792c568f8ea6c6c0059e1f.JPG

I just have to figure out where to put it. I was originally planning on having where my 20L currently is.

Now I'm thinking I want to keep the 20 going and make it a Frogfish tank. 

• Like 5

Seconding guessing the choices I've made for the new setup. 

If you were me, would you ditch the HOB skimmer and filter, and learn how to drill glass holes, learn plumbing all stuff, and hookup up sump instead? (Keep in mind I currently know almost nothing about these things)

I'm looking at this stand thinking, dang that thing is so huge it could fit a sump no problem, also the tank is way too pretty for cheapo-looking stuff hanging off everywhere. I don't want to regret not doing it later., I also don't want to wait any longer to set up this tank. I can't win...

25 minutes ago, samnaz said:

If you were me, would you ditch the HOB skimmer and filter, and learn how to drill glass holes, learn plumbing all stuff, and hookup up sump instead? (Keep in mind I currently know almost nothing about these things)

I'm looking at this stand thinking, dang that thing is so huge it could fit a sump no problem, also the tank is way too pretty for cheapo-looking stuff hanging off everywhere. I don't want to regret not doing it later., I also don't want to wait any longer to set up this tank. I can't win...

I'm a big fan of the KISS principle--keep it simple, stupid. ;) I'd stick with the HOB for now and if you choose to add a sump later you can investigate overflows.  But I have no interest in learning to drill either so take that for what you will lol.  Is it an actual protein skimmer with skimmate cup, or just a little surface skimmer attachment for the filter?

Nixperience
30 minutes ago, samnaz said:

Do a hob overflow with an aqualifter as a constant Prime for backup so you never lose siphon. 

https://www.marinedepot.com/CPR_CS50_Overflow_Box_External_Overflow_Boxes_for_Aquariums-CPR-CR1511-FIOFEB-vi.html

11 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I'm a big fan of the KISS principle--keep it simple, stupid. ;) I'd stick with the HOB for now and if you choose to add a sump later you can investigate overflows.  But I have no interest in learning to drill either so take that for what you will lol.  Is it an actual protein skimmer with skimmate cup, or just a little surface skimmer attachment for the filter?

Both. I have an Aquamaxx hob-1 skimmer and the inTank surface skimmer for the ac70. 

I think I'll stick with the KISS principle, it's worked for me thus far...

11 hours ago, Nixperience said:

Do a hob overflow with an aqualifter as a constant Prime for backup so you never lose siphon. 

https://www.marinedepot.com/CPR_CS50_Overflow_Box_External_Overflow_Boxes_for_Aquariums-CPR-CR1511-FIOFEB-vi.html

Oh yeah! I completely forgot about the hob overflow option. Perhaps I'll do one of those if I change my mind and want a sump eventually. 

• Like 2
yungKitten

That is a beautiful tank. I don't mind a bunch of stuff hanging off the back personally. A drilled tank with a sump is the best option, but I agree with keeping it simple.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, yungKitten said:

Seriously can't wait for this tank to come together. 

You're telling me! I've got a good feeling about it. I'm glad to share the excitement with you :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, samnaz said:

Look what came today...

Crappy phone pic featuring a cat.

IMG_9386.thumb.JPG.d8f94962ff434e933be7c9e85dd0ecd2.JPG

What kind of light do you have on your 30g tank there? Look great over that size tank.

Just now, bk_market said:

What kind of light do you have on your 30g tank there? Look great over that size tank.

It's a Nanobox Quad (old style body, new insides). It's the perfect option for the 30L. A few members here have a similar setup, and they speak very highly of this light fixture.

• Like 1
Nixperience

I had a thought about doing all the HOB equipment. Make a false wall from black acrylic that blocks all the equipment and can be folded forward to do maintenance. Kind of like the red sea aio tanks do. Then you can put whatever you want on there. 

3 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

I had a thought about doing all the HOB equipment. Make a false wall from black acrylic that blocks all the equipment and can be folded forward to do maintenance. Kind of like the red sea aio tanks do. Then you can put whatever you want on there. 

I think you are overestimating my DIY skills, haha. Great idea though. I may look into this. 

Nixperience
Just now, samnaz said:

I think you are overestimating my DIY skills, haha. Great idea though. I may look into this. 

Lol. Maybe check with oceanbox designs and see if he can make you something like that. 

6 minutes ago, Nixperience said:

Lol. Maybe check with oceanbox designs and see if he can make you something like that. 

Now you're way overestimating how much money I have!

• Like 1
Nixperience
4 minutes ago, samnaz said:

Lol. It's not a necessary thing, but can do it down the road. 

4 minutes ago, samnaz said:

:lol:

I know that feeling all too well... as I make plans for doing a DIY AC70 fuge rather than a media rack from InTank lol.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

:lol:

I know that feeling all too well... as I make plans for doing a DIY AC70 fuge rather than a media rack from InTank lol.

That kinda DIY is simpler or at least smaller/easier. I planned on doing one too, for an AC110. But then someone posted an AC70+InTank basket for $40 and I grabbed it. Even better than the AC110 because the InTank surface skimmer is only compatible with the AC70 and smaller models.

Will you be making it out of acrylic as well?

15 minutes ago, samnaz said:

That kinda DIY is simpler or at least smaller/easier. I planned on doing one too, for an AC110. But then someone posted an AC70+InTank basket for $40 and I grabbed it. Even better than the AC110 because the InTank surface skimmer is only compatible with the AC70 and smaller models.

Will you be making it out of acrylic as well?

Nope, I'm doing it the old fashioned way, making use of the media basket and stuff.  Will be my first attempt at such lol.

yungKitten
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Nope, I'm doing it the old fashioned way, making use of the media basket and stuff.  Will be my first attempt at such lol.

I did this recently. This is the guide I used and it turned out great! (This is a guide for the 110, but it'll be pretty much the same with a 70)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, yungKitten said:

I did this recently. This is the guide I used and it turned out great! (This is a guide for the 110, but it'll be pretty much the same with a 70)

Yeah, I've looked at several guides including el fab's from the pico thread, which I'll be following.  No spray paint for me lol.

• Like 2

I have read that frogspawn typically grow new heads by spitting at the mouth, or less commonly by growing from a stick form near the base. Something I've noticed growing on my frogspawn fits neither of these descriptions. But if it's not a new head, what else could it be?

IMG_9484.thumb.JPG.3cd1e9ad0b924c26492a0e5fb2e13ba0.JPG

Also recently noticed a couple small ones on the other side, just starting to poke out.

IMG_9483.thumb.JPG.578f8dfebcecd6c3ade624c65e52f6e3.JPG

And yes, the vermetid snails are becoming a bit of a nuisance.

I should have taken your comment/concern more seriously months ago, @yungKitten. How did you take care of them? Just pluck em off with some tongs?

1 hour ago, samnaz said:

I have read that frogspawn typically grow new heads by spitting at the mouth, or less commonly by growing from a stick form near the base. Something I've noticed growing on my frogspawn fits neither of these descriptions. But if it's not a new head, what else could it be?

IMG_9484.thumb.JPG.3cd1e9ad0b924c26492a0e5fb2e13ba0.JPG

Also recently noticed a couple small ones on the other side, just starting to poke out.

IMG_9483.thumb.JPG.578f8dfebcecd6c3ade624c65e52f6e3.JPG

And yes, the vermetid snails are becoming a bit of a nuisance.

I should have taken your comment/concern more seriously months ago, @yungKitten. How did you take care of them? Just pluck em off with some tongs?

Superglue.  Superglue those suckers shut!

• samnaz changed the title to Samnaz's 20L (upgrading to IM Nuvo Black 30L)