Cultivated Reef

9 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Christie,

I love these soap box headers we title pictures with, “Nemo has a new crush”.  Cute.  

You take fantastic pictures .  It’s a joy, the beauty that you bring with your post.  Kudos to you.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Hey looks good 🙂

How are you from the weekend?

I am ok. I got it all out ahead of time I think........But the dogs were looking for him Sunday morning and I about lost it. 

2 minutes ago, Subsea said:

Christie,

I love these soap box headers we title pictures with, “Nemo has a new crush”.  Cute.  

You take fantastic pictures .  It’s a joy, the beauty that you bring with your post.  Kudos to you.

Thank you so much. ❤️

• Sad 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
7 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I am ok. I got it all out ahead of time I think........But the dogs were looking for him Sunday morning and I about lost it. 

Bummer :sad: hang in there though.

@Subsea is right about your pics though :smilie: keep up the good work. They look really good.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Are those dark spots on Clown’s underbelly a part of her natural color pattern or burn marks from frogspawn? 

They are burns from the Palys he hangs out in...... the Frogspawn is a new thing for him. A few days ago his mouth looked swollen because he was nibbling on it off and on all day.  I need to finish my scape work on that side..... I want to lift the Frogspawn up some so that he has access to the underneath.  

49 minutes ago, vlangel said:

Beautiful pics!  The 12 just keeps getting nicer and nicer all the time.

😊❤️

• Like 3
A Little Blue
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

They are burns from the Palys he hangs out in...... the Frogspawn is a new thing for him. A few days ago his mouth looked swollen because he was nibbling on it off and on all day.  I need to finish my scape work on that side..... I want to lift the Frogspawn up some so that he has access to the underneath.  

😊❤️

Yeah, I was wondering where those burnt marks came from. My male clown gets those from time to time when he’s running sh&$less from female the jaws and finds refuge between Torch/Frogspawn branches. 

You need to restrain yourself from keeping your hands in that tank. I know (I have the same problem).... it’s hard. Every time I dig in to make some drastic changes my tank gets pissed immediately. 

• Like 1

Trying to catch up on threads and didn't get a chance to say this the other night (was at work and had an emergency lol) but I am sorry about The Guy and the pup and kitty. Losing beloved pets is always a hard thing. Violet huffs her sympathies. 

IMG_20170516_024839_538.thumb.jpg.2f19804d8fc64b7cfcc87f4caf37c2c2.jpg

• Like 9
7 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Trying to catch up on threads and didn't get a chance to say this the other night (was at work and had an emergency lol) but I am sorry about The Guy and the pup and kitty. Losing beloved pets is always a hard thing. Violet huffs her sympathies. 

IMG_20170516_024839_538.thumb.jpg.2f19804d8fc64b7cfcc87f4caf37c2c2.jpg

Thank you ❤️

• Like 1

Oh man, I hate to see someone lose pets. Its really a terrible feeling. Just know that you gave them the best life imaginable! 

The tank is looking great. You even inspired me to go filterless, but I was scared back into using an HOB due to my Caulerpa Ashmeadii having an unexpected sexual reproduction event. Im convinced water changes, flow and light are all you need for a successful tank like this one though, and I intend on removing the hob once things stabilize again.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, pmang6 said:

Oh man, I hate to see someone lose pets. Its really a terrible feeling. Just know that you gave them the best life imaginable! 

The tank is looking great. You even inspired me to go filterless, but I was scared back into using an HOB due to my Caulerpa Ashmeadii having an unexpected sexual reproduction event. Im convinced water changes, flow and light are all you need for a successful tank like this one though, and I intend on removing the hob once things stabilize again.

Thank you so much. ❤️

It’s so freeing to go filterless.......and there is nothing wrong with keeping a hob filter in closet for emergency situations.  I have a small one that came in handy on my big tank when the MP40 blended a Rock Flower Anemone.....I used it to run floss and strain out the Anemone parts. 

4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Thank you so much. ❤️

It’s so freeing to go filterless.......and there is nothing wrong with keeping a hob filter in closet for emergency situations.  I have a small one that came in handy on my big tank when the MP40 blended a Rock Flower Anemone.....I used it to run floss and strain out the Anemone parts. 

Yep, to me, it really becomes apparent that you have created a functioning ecosystem when you remove the filter and nothing really cares. I think we are about to see a wave of simplified tanks as people realize that you dont need to spend a thousand dollars on equipment to keep a reef.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, pmang6 said:

Yep, to me, it really becomes apparent that you have created a functioning ecosystem when you remove the filter and nothing really cares. I think we are about to see a wave of simplified tanks as people realize that you dont need to spend a thousand dollars on equipment to keep a reef.

I hope so! 

• Like 1
On 5/25/2018 at 5:29 PM, WV Reefer said:

My powerheads are a breeding ground for Limpets. I hate cleaning them because I always find some that I’ve missed. 

Here’s a couple meeting up to get it on:

76FDBFFF-0C35-4BD2-891B-C0143AA85983.thumb.jpeg.be7d1a425db155f0ebc37266a1082431.jpeg

😄

Here’s one headed their way:

2A1CF09F-6EEC-4A1E-B719-96DD4E6DC49F.thumb.jpeg.d7a136d7e2df4ad9b0c656bbab3ef563.jpeg

Finally finished catching up to your thread, tried to keep likes to a minimum lol. Congratulations on a well deserved TOTM, tank looks great! Are your limpets the itty bitty tan kind under a centimeter long? Or the bigger white ones? The one in the bottom pic looks a good size!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lula_Mae said:

Finally finished catching up to your thread, tried to keep likes to a minimum lol. Congratulations on a well deserved TOTM, tank looks great! Are your limpets the itty bitty tan kind under a centimeter long? Or the bigger white ones? The one in the bottom pic looks a good size!

Thank you! 😀

The biggest one I have ever seen is a little smaller than a pencil eraser.  

20 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Thank you! 😀

The biggest one I have ever seen is a little smaller than a pencil eraser.  

Little bitty then like mine!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

If you have a wrasse, they'll eat them.  I have them in the 50 cube and nowhere else. I have Stomatellas in with Beetle Bailey and nowhere else. 

I think that’s why there aren’t as many in the big tank.... too many people munchin’ em down. 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

I'm bummed because I had at least two stomatellas and they have disappeared. There cleaning away and then poof no where to be found. It's probably been a good month month and a half. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2018 at 5:14 PM, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I'm bummed because I had at least two stomatellas and they have disappeared. There cleaning away and then poof no where to be found. It's probably been a good month month and a half. 

Looks like my population has dropped dramatically.  Not sure if it’s lack of food or The Star Lord eating them at night.  

• Sad 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

Looks like my population has dropped dramatically.  Not sure if it’s lack of food or The Star Lord eating them at night.  

I have plenty for them to clean lol. Got a little natural algae 😏

8 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I have plenty for them to clean lol. Got a little natural algae 😏

This tank really doesn’t have algae anymore.......It stays pretty spotless.  

• WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 12 Gallon Long and Dirty: Home of The Worm