inTank Media Baskets

44 minutes ago, vlangel said:

I love Hulk and Nemo's pics!

They are quite photogenic. :)  It’s funny because in the beginning I couldn’t get a pic of Nemo to save my life!

• Like 2
20 hours ago, bluecard said:

Thanks. I keep watching. Lots of big tanks, but I am looking to start with something smaller. I guess no Rico or Hulk today, maybe tomorrow.

My first saltwater tank was a 4' 55 gallon. A good size for a starter is a 40 breeder or the 57 rimless. I swear, all you have to do with that deep Blue 57 is put water, gravel and live rock in it and corals will grow. I don't do a whole hell of a lot of maintenance to it.

Here's Yosemite Sam, the roughest toughest hermit crab this side of the Mississippi river.

Macro reef1 019

• Like 7
3 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

My first saltwater tank was a 4' 55 gallon. A good size for a starter is a 40 breeder or the 57 rimless. I swear, all you have to do with that deep Blue 57 is put water, gravel and live rock in it and corals will grow. I don't do a whole hell of a lot of maintenance to it.

Here's Yosemite Sam, the roughest toughest hermit crab this side of the Mississippi river.

Macro reef1 019

How could those baby blue eyes be rough and tough?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

With no filtration, what is your nitrates usually at??

Typical filtration usually doesn't directly address nitrate (indirectly, it might by removing some organics prior to them being broken down).  However, bio-media in the filter can actually increase nitrate.  Water changes help to keep nitrate in check, and some nitrate and phosphate is actually good.  I've also found that decorative macroalgae is another good nutrient export mechanism.  So yeah, an actual filter isn't required (although it can sometimes be helpful).

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

Typical filtration usually doesn't directly address nitrate (indirectly, it might by removing some organics prior to them being broken down).  However, bio-media in the filter can actually increase nitrate.  Water changes help to keep nitrate in check, and some nitrate and phosphate is actually good.  I've also found that decorative macroalgae is another good nutrient export mechanism.  So yeah, an actual filter isn't required (although it can sometimes be helpful).

exactly.  

There isn’t much that pops up in a tank this size that a water change can’t handle. 

• Like 2
tanacharison
On 1/4/2018 at 8:45 AM, WV Reefer said:

Don’t know, don’t care. :lol:

This is how I feel on all of my current tanks.... I only test alk and cal now and not often enough lol

• Like 1
On 1/3/2018 at 8:31 PM, vlangel said:

How could those baby blue eyes be rough and tough?

He's such a little shit. He takes 0 lip off anyone, even the Melanurus wrasse.

On 1/4/2018 at 8:45 AM, WV Reefer said:

Don’t know, don’t care. :lol:

Sam e here. I can look at the algae that's growing and know something's off.

On 1/4/2018 at 9:27 AM, seabass said:

If you wanna try something, try the Marinepur media with vinegar dosing, holy hell. I think I added too much, my nitrates are nil right now and the leathers are NOT happy in the least.

8 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

My clam ate a mushroom :eek:

.....and that’s not a euphemism. 

Did it go drip drip drip? :D

• Haha 8
On 12/28/2017 at 6:06 PM, WV Reefer said:

Now I have book titles running through my head.  :lol:

"Full of Crap: A Reef Tank's Story." :D

(Just catching up from like early Nov and tank looks great! Glad the monti made a comeback).

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

"Full of Crap: A Reef Tank's Story." :D

(Just catching up from like early Nov and tank looks great! Glad the monti made a comeback).

I had 28 notifications and was like “who died?” :lol:

thanks. Everything has been doing great. The clam is on its way out though. I’d say the cleanup crew will make its move soon. :tears:

• Sad 3
1 minute ago, vlangel said:

Sorry to hear about the clam.  Is it dying because it ate a mushroom?

The mushroom must have broke loose last night.......It was a big St Thomas Mushroom and it looks like it burned its way down through the inside. I gently tweezed it out but the clam is retracted.  The clam had unseated itself trying to “blow” the mushroom out I guess. 

The “vultures” are circling as I speak. 

• Sad 5
2 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

The clam is on its way out though. I’d say the cleanup crew will make its move soon. :tears:

Oh damn. How long have you had that clam? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Oh damn. How long have you had that clam? 

Over a year and a half. :(

All this time I worried over every little thing with that clam and it gets taken out by a rogue mushroom...... bums me out. 

• Sad 4
3 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

All this time I worried over every little thing with that clam and it gets taken out by a rogue mushroom...... bums me out. 

I'm sure it does.  So crazy random and a total a bummer.

I knew it had to be over a year. I joined NR last January and I still remember it from then thinking it was so awesome holding it's own on the one side of the tank. 

Will you get another?

• Like 1
Just now, SeaFurn said:

I'm sure it does.  So crazy random and a total a bummer.

I knew it had to be over a year. I joined NR last January and I still remember it from then thinking it was so awesome holding it's own on the one side of the tank. 

Will you get another?

I may get one for the big tank later on but probably not for this tank.  

Im gonna leave it for now, circle of life and all that, but will pull it out once it starts getting gross. 

• Like 3
Nano sapiens
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Yeah, that's a tough one alright.  I've seen people leave the hobby over stuff like this. 

The way I look at it is that whether in our tanks, or on the natural reefs, odds are that unusual events like this are bound to happen occasionally.  Hoping for the best...

• Like 2
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 12 Gallon Long and Dirty: Home of The Worm