Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

StinkyBunny
On 7/9/2017 at 10:02 AM, WV Reefer said:

Today we rest!!

and..........We will now be implementing random generator checks throughout the year.  

You should start them up and run them once a month. I fire up Rasputin like that, let it run 15 mins, then shut it back down.

17 hours ago, Sancho said:

Been close a couple times :lol:

My dad threw a hammer at the one HOA asshole once. Pisser was, we were on a farm behind the neighborhood, he didn't like the new barn. That started a long feud that culminated with me stomping the head of the HOA's ass along with his son one night. Now that I have 40 acres of my own, every time they bitch about something, I bring in 100 chicken and 8 pigs. Sooner or later they'll learn to STFU and tend to their own knitting as M's grandma would say. Which reminds me, it's going to be up near 100 the end of the week, looks like it's time to spray the fields with liquid shit. :D

• Like 3
On 7/8/2017 at 10:20 PM, WV Reefer said:

The bad is over. :) 24 hours without power but everything made it through.  

F Ya!! 

Nice new pics, btw!

• Like 1
sam_the_reefer
27 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

Just bought a couple of shrooms from BSA Corals.  :ninja:

Does that mean you're missing a kidney now? :)

• Like 2

I'm always paranoid that Scooter Rico doesn't have enough food. Even though he eats anything I give him, I know the pods and other fauna is what he really needs/wants.  

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, seabass said:

Maybe you can try to culture your own pods.

Ive thought about this....... been researching time/space/money vs. just buying some on occasion to supplement.  In no way has he stripped it clean or anything but I just wanted to make sure he has plenty to hunt.  He certainly eats a variety of live creatures and anything frozen that I give him.  I was bummed the first time I saw him eat a tiny brittle star. :(  

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, seabass said:

It might save you some money.  Culturing plankton can be kind of fun.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=site%3Anano-reef.com+culturing+pods&pc=MOZI&form=MOZTSB

http://www.ipsf.com/podbreedingkit.html

I love IPSF and this was exactly what I was thinking about.  I will have extra room under my 75 Gallon and I thought about placing a small macro tank under there for the pods to live and grow.  Then I could scoop them out on occasion to reseed the display so that he never gets too low.  

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

I need to find that article about those pod condos. I made 3 of them and all I do is shake them over the tank when the lights are out, instant Scootie chow. The pods seem to really like that stuff and it grows a metric shittonne of pods.

• Like 1

The Live Aquaria article is basically how I culture rotifers.  I also culture phytoplankton for food.  If you have any questions about this process, let me know.  Here is a 53 micron sieve that is suitable to use: https://www.amazon.com/Sieves-22-44-Plankton-Sieve-Micron/dp/B01BX0WRSI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499980438&sr=8-1&keywords=plankton+sieve

Phytoplankton:

102116b.jpg

Rotifers:

110516c.jpg

• Like 5
5 hours ago, seabass said:

The Live Aquaria article is basically how I culture rotifers.  I also culture phytoplankton for food.  If you have any questions about this process, let me know.  Here is a 53 micron sieve that is suitable to use: https://www.amazon.com/Sieves-22-44-Plankton-Sieve-Micron/dp/B01BX0WRSI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499980438&sr=8-1&keywords=plankton+sieve

Phytoplankton:

102116b.jpg

Rotifers:

110516c.jpg

Thank you for all the info!  I will definitely pick your brain more on this later. I've got to get the other tank sorted out first to free up space. 

• Like 8
StinkyBunny

Yea, Yosemite Sam was a photogenic little shit. He'd come out to the end of one of the pieces of live rock when it was feeding time and M would hand him a piece of food with the tweezers. We had one of those HUGE orange legged Hawaiian hermits in our 240 back in the 80s, another character.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Yea, Yosemite Sam was a photogenic little shit. He'd come out to the end of one of the pieces of live rock when it was feeding time and M would hand him a piece of food with the tweezers. We had one of those HUGE orange legged Hawaiian hermits in our 240 back in the 80s, another character.

I love them but they are such little shits sometimes.  

• Like 1
Sk8n Reefer

just found your thread- tanks looking nice, good job! I'll have to find ya on insta. The culture foods is interesting- might have to think about that 

• Like 1
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 12 Gallon Long and Dirty: Home of The Worm