Cultivated Reef

1 hour ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Hmm. Sounds like a pistol indeed - if the mantis is still alive, perhaps the pistol had a run-in with it (just a loose theory). 

I really miss seeing LR for sale at the store here. They do have dry rock which they submerge under SW in a huge tank on sale now, but since it started off dry, there's no interesting 'life' to the pieces. 😕

Few years back, the store used to sell huge tanks worth of LR which were full of live hitchikers. I remember seeing a 6" yellow-spotted gray cucumber (still alive) on one of the rocks. So cool! 

No pretty cucumbers in here so far but there are a few turd-ish looking ones out and about. 

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, FISHnChix said:

"Long and dirty down south" please tell me that was intentional !!!🤣🤣🤣🤙

:wizard:

13 minutes ago, patback said:

Reminds me of the toolshed days...

good times 😊

On 11/30/2021 at 8:57 AM, WV Reefer said:

Not sure. I haven’t seen it again but I swear that I hear things in there at night.

I found a tiny claw on the sand recently and I wondered if maybe there was a pistol in there somewhere and maybe that’s the noise I hear….. It definitely wasn’t a mantis part. 

I want to say that there are 3 species of pistol shrimp in The Atlantic so you're probably hearing that. Look around the bases of the rock and see if there's any sort of digging. I know when we were bringing shitgobs up out of Florida they were alive with mantis shrimp. I've gotten a few pistols out of Indo and Fiji and just found a crab that had been living in the rock tank for 2 years. Dunno WTF he was eating because I don't feed rock tanks.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

The Eunice worm ate about half of the macro on the right side.

I was wondering how you'd keep all that macro in check.  I'm sure the worm wouldn't prune the macro like you would, but it could be a good thing.

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, seabass said:

I was wondering how you'd keep all that macro in check.  I'm sure the worm wouldn't prune the macro like you would, but it could be a good thing.

Very true. I just hope it learns to take some food from me too so the macro can at least get ahead a bit……especially all the pretty red ones that are still tiny. 

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

this tank is so cool.

everytime i see a macro algae tank, I really want to start one, but I'm only allowed 2 tanks 😞

Thanks.  I always wanted a planted salt tank and when I moved over the summer I knew this tank would be more of a complete reset than my other reef so I decided to just go for it. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

Love the pictures. There is so much life going on in this tank. Super cute feather duster. Thanks for sharing

Thanks Deb! 😊

• Like 1

My “Miami Vice” lighting combo

0519A944-DC1D-478F-B0A9-14A742610162.thumb.jpeg.f56bb73e1f51f7872142ac00c949cb55.jpeg

I also discovered that the backlight has several programs you can run and customize but there is no on/off timer……… such a bummer. Not sure I can squeeze a timer back behind the books. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

And finally, the face of the algae slayer:

B663A5EA-BE1D-474F-98BC-1B55785667FC.thumb.jpeg.f2a30c7b0e60b7e1746a5107fae10f12.jpeg

AC3858A9-D09E-436F-85E2-5FC310388FA0.thumb.jpeg.db96d1b1be9b779efbc65e5a3e2f0cff.jpeg

C4D50E0A-E02C-4B0D-931C-E188FD8B9525.thumb.jpeg.2053f25b9590329cb5e05b72ead249c1.jpeg

A7F1AA2D-9FC6-4674-A2F8-A1D90747B82D.thumb.jpeg.761ef58d929ebce23eb5fb5815e54e29.jpeg

I’ve been attempting to coax him out more. ……Today was my first successful attempt with mysis. He seems to like the flashlight also.  I’ll have a video to post maybe tomorrow of the interaction. 

• Like 5
  • Wow 3
  • WV Reefer changed the title to WV Reefer's 12 Gallon Long and Dirty: Home of The Worm