Pod Your Reef

Surveyman's Euphyllia Dominated NUVO 10

SURVEYMAN46123

SURVEYMAN46123

I added a Mint Green Pavona and Red Monti Cap back in Feb, and noticed recently that the Pavona wasn't looking so hot.  Actually starting to brown in one area.   The red monti was showing growth and good color, but it was an impulse purchase that I regretted.   If and when it started to get bigger it would eventually run out of room.   So a local reefer and I met up yesterday, and swapped some frags.   I knew the monti and pavona would do good in his system, and he had a couple colorful items he thought would do well in mine.   I picked up a small purple mushroom and a gorgonian from him.   The gorgonian he has had since 1993 and frag's it twice a year.   So I know its an established gorg, and I have always enjoyed them. 

Updated my original post to reflect these changes.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123
16 minutes ago, AvaS said:

Tank is looking great!!! How is the new blasto doing?? Updated pic of it opened up? 

Thanks!  Its doing great.

Here is a more up-to-date photo.

4.jpg

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123
11 minutes ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Wow looking good! 

Thanks!

Still looking to get a little more pop of color in there.   This may happen in may as I will be in Orlando for a convention.   Might pay a visit to a little shop down there.  ;)

• Like 2

i think i have the same reactor! I bought mine off amazon along with LED light strips to make a chaeto reactor too but then I wimped out and put carbon in the reactor instead. too many horror stories about the LED lights heating up the reactor tube and cracking it.. have you found this to be an issue? Especially since you wrapped the outside of the tank to keep the light (and as a result the heat) inside?

SURVEYMAN46123
7 minutes ago, NanoAaron said:

i think i have the same reactor! I bought mine off amazon along with LED light strips to make a chaeto reactor too but then I wimped out and put carbon in the reactor instead. too many horror stories about the LED lights heating up the reactor tube and cracking it.. have you found this to be an issue? Especially since you wrapped the outside of the tank to keep the light (and as a result the heat) inside?

Actually I only used the reactor for a couple weeks.   I stopped using it because it removed too many nutrients for my LPS and zoa's. 

SURVEYMAN46123
3 hours ago, Segalplayer said:

How much do you feed your clowns and what do you feed them? Also what is the frequency? Thanks for the info!

Well, I feed a variety of things.   First and foremost, I feed daily.   A very small pinch of one of the following:

New Life Spectrum Pellets

Hikari Seaweed Extreme Pellets

Colbalt Aquatics Marine Omni Pellets

They also get a small amount of frozen mysis once a week, as do my coral that like meatier options.  

I try to keep a variety in their diet.  

14 hours ago, AvaS said:

WOOW!! That blasto is jaw dropping!! Thanks for the update!! 

I agree, my daughter picked out a beauty.  Can't wait till it grows out.   You're welcome, happy to share.

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

New photos!

I really need to learn how to use my DSLR and start shooting with that.   This iphone just cant capture the colors.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
CarolinaShoreReef
29 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

New photos!

I really need to learn how to use my DSLR and start shooting with that.   This iphone just cant capture the colors.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

It’s doing pretty good though! Tank looks great! ??

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Looking good @SURVEYMAN46123! I really like that new gorgonian, how cool that it goes all the way back to 1993! ?

What kind of DSLR and lens(es) do you have? There's some photographers here in the community that can help steer you in the right direction! 

SURVEYMAN46123
8 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Looking good @SURVEYMAN46123! I really like that new gorgonian, how cool that it goes all the way back to 1993! ?

What kind of DSLR and lens(es) do you have? There's some photographers here in the community that can help steer you in the right direction! 

Knowing the history of it is one of the best parts to me.   Kind of an added gem to this part of my tank.

I have a Canon Rebel EOS.   I'd have to look at my lenses to see exactly what I have.  

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

Picked up a small box of Reef Crystals last week and planning on seeing what, if any effects it has on my tank over the next month of water changes.   Currently use IO salt in my tank.  If it has a positive effect on my tank I'm most likely going to make the switch to reef crystals.   I've noticed a small dip in CA, MG, and Alk over a week period, and hoping to correct this with salt.   I'm still trying to stay away from dosing if at all possible.  Below I have posted my latest results over a week period, testing with salifert test kits.   My belief is that all of my euphyllia are the culprits to the depletion of elements over that week period.   My tank doesn't have much coraline, so corals are my next point of focus when trying to pinpoint this small issue.   I have noticed some stalling of grown in some of my hammers, and a couple just look like they are hanging on.   One hammer for instance just doesn't inflate as much as it once did in the same spot it is now.   Could be something else, but I'm not going to throw everything at it at once, because that may just cause more issues.   If I loose a coral or two, so be it.   My acan's also just look blah (see photo below), and I'm not sure what the hell is going on with it.   I removed it from the plug a couple weeks back and it just never looked the same.  :/   Everything else is happy as a clam, the trumpets seem to sprout a new head weekly, same with my zoa's.   I have to admit, as I get further into this hobby, the desire to remove some corals, and focus on others have crossed my mind multiple times.    Is that crazy to think/say?

I contacted the other salt mix suppliers in the business and no one had a small box/sample to try out, so that's why I'm going the RC route.   In my opinion I'd love to see these brands offer something up to consumers to allow them to purchase and sample their product to see if it works with their system.   To me its not cost effective to purchase a large supply of salt to try it out.   If it has negative effects on my tank I'm stuck with said salt mix.  

Did my first waterchange with Reef Crystals Friday evening, I will update as soon as I find something out.  

3-23-18

Temp 79.6

Salinity 1.026

PH 8.0

CA 450

Ak 8.6

Mg 1470

3-30-18

Temp 79.8

Salinity 1.026

PH 8.0

Calcium 420

Alk 8.3

MG 1380

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

SURVEYMAN46123
3 minutes ago, CarolinaShoreReef said:

Pics of the euphyllia before and after? 

Do you test nitrate too?

Not very often, I keep my tank a little on the dirty side because my lps and zoa's seem to like them.   Last time I tested was just slightly above 10 ppm.  

The hammer in question would be the green tipped one in the middle top.   It's sprouting about 4-5 little heads on the stalks but it just doesn't open like it used too.  Below is a current photo.   You'd have to check back further in the thread for an older picture.

image.png.cc0851c6c9276c735c23cfb379d0e940.png

• Thanks 1
CarolinaShoreReef
9 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Wanted to share a quick little vid. 

I didn’t make the connection that that’s you on IG ?

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

I've noticed that my corals have seemed happier/fluffier since using reef crystals two weeks ago.   I've also noticed my alk and ca levels are not dropping like they were with the regular IO salt.   Other than that, nothing has changed.   The tank is on autopilot, and thriving.

1.jpg

IMG_6515.JPG

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
SURVEYMAN46123

3 weeks with Reef Crystal's and all positive on my end.   In the past I would always see my corals not expand as much or just look bleh before my waterchange.   Since using the RC's everything seems to be happy, and thriving.    Ordered a bucket last night to make the full switch.

Oh and this happened Friday night too.   :D

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-tank-365-featured-tank-by-tehsac.380449/

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...