Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Surveyman's Euphyllia Dominated NUVO 10

SURVEYMAN46123

SURVEYMAN46123

Hi I'm Paul, and within this thread I'm going to share photos of the progress of my tank.  Just cause I'm so obsessed with this tank, and I’d love to share with other that haven’t seen my build thread.

For my build thread please Click Here.  I will continue to update my build thread and trouble shoot within there. 

Anyway onto said photos.

FTS 2-22-18

1.jpg

FTS 2-26-17

2-26-16_1_zpsyxeywbsb.jpg

Right Side

2-26-16_Right_zps9xzg7434.jpg

Left Side

2-26-16_Left_zpsorjgduzv.jpg

Current Equipment List:

IM NUVO Fusion 10

Kessil A80 with Gooseneck

Spinstream Nozzle

InTank Media Basket

Eheim 50 Watt Heater

Sicce .5 return Pump

Filtration:

10 lbs Fiji Pink Sand

8-9 lbs Reef Saver Rock from BRS

Filter floss

Chemi-Pure Blue

Livestock:

2 Ocellaris Clown

1 Tailspot Blenny

1 Yasha Goby

1 Cerith Snails

1 Astrea Snails

2 Trochus Snails

2 Nassarius Snails

2 Red Legged Hermit

1 Cleaner Shrimp

1 Peppermint Shrimp

1 Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp

Current Corals:

Green Mouth Torch Coral

Purple Torch Coral

Aussie Gold Torch Coral

Purple Tip Hammer

Neon Green Tip Hammer

Blue Hammer

Green Frogspawn

Red Acan Lord

Watermelon Zoa

Blueberry Pie Zoa

Bam Bam Zoa

Sunny D Paly

Rasta Zoa

Unknown Yellow Zoa's

Unknown Orange Zoa's

Unknown Paly's

Pink Zipper Paly's

Cornbred Rainbow Infusion Paly

Blue/Green Ricordea Mushroom

Orange Ricordea Mushroom

Candy Cane Coral Colony

Duncan Coral

Meteor Shower Cyphastrea

Neon Pink Blasto

Purple Mushroom

Gorgonian

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
SURVEYMAN46123

So let’s see what can I add to this to get things up to date?   

Tank was set up in February of this year, and I went through a pretty quick cycle.  The first fish was a Royal Gramma that passed away the next day.  My LFS replaced him with another but that one would pass away as well.  Shortly after my first Frag swap, the little guy developed ich and never pulled through.  

In may i added a cleaner shrimp but he passed away a couple weeks later.  Seriously was having the worst luck.  The decision was to go fallow after the gramma passed to rid the tank of ich.  My focus was on maintence and collecting corals that I wanted the most.  Most of my corals have come from local reefers except for a few purchased from the Frag swap in March.   The plan has been to take things slow and not overwhelm my system.  

In july we purchased two clownfish and a tailspot blenny.  They have done well in our Nano.  The clownfish love our candy cane colony and host in it nightly.   The tailspot is my daughters favorite and he is full of personality.  I’m slowly trying to get him to eat out of my hands but the clowns aren’t having anything to do with that.  They eat out of my hands nightly and are little pigs for sure.  

I’ve also had issues with equipment as most of us do.   My ATO was acting up and Tunze replaced the controller.  Also recently my pump took a crap but miraculously started working again the next day.  Other than that things have been great.  

Ill update my stock list now for anyone who is interested.   

Equipment:

IM NUVO 10

IM media basket

Eheim Jager 50 Watt Heater

Tunze Nano ATO

Kessil A80 with Gooseneck

Sicce .5 Pump

IM Spinstream

Livestock:

2 Ocellaris Clown Fish

1 Tailspot Blenny

1 Yasha Goby

1 Cleaner Shrimp

2 Scarlett Red Legged Hermits

1 Cerith Snail

1 Astrea Snail

1 Black Foot Trochus Snail

Coral:

2 Purple Tipped Branching Hammers

1 Green Tipped Branching Hammer

1 Green Frogspawn

1 Green Torch

1 Green Mouthed Torch - Purplish tentacles

1 Dragon Soul Torch 

1 Colony and 1 Frag of Candy Cane Coral

1 Ricordea Mushroom ( withered away :()

1 Meteor Shower Cyphastrea 

1 Multi Head Acan Frag

Green Star Polyps

Montipora Spogodes Frag

Watermelon Zoa's

Bam Bam Zoa’s 

Pink Zipper Paly’s

Unnamed Paly’s

Sunny D Paly’s

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123
7 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

It's looking a bit full in there.  Any plans to upgrade for more corals?

Actually we call it fluffy around the house.  ;)

No plans to upgrade just yet.   I have a few spots for corals still.   Ideally another torch, Cyphastrea, Chalice, sun coral and Blasto's.

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

I'm debating on adding an MP10.   I'm indifferent because I don't have sps or plans of keeping sps, and my corals seem very happy.   Am I falling into the hype?

9 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

I'm debating on adding an MP10.   I'm indifferent because I don't have sps or plans of keeping sps, and my corals seem very happy.   Am I falling into the hype?

Disclaimer:  I don't have a Fusion 10, but do have an MP10.

It'd be overkill and wouldn't serve you much benefit other than it being aesthetically pleasing to have a wavemaker where the power cord is outside of the tank.  If you don't need the flow, don't spend that much $ on a MP10 for this tank.  Honestly, if I were in your shoes and was looking at more flow, I'd upgrade the return pump to a higher Sicce model and maybe get one of those random flow spouts.  JMHO. 

• Like 1
SURVEYMAN46123

My LFS today has one of my bucket list corals.  I scooped up a dragon soul torch today!  Can’t wait for this little Frag open up fully.  

Also grabbed a cleaner shrimp and going back tomorrow to pick up a special shipment.  ??

Oh and I finally got my macro algae reactor set up and running.  We will see how it does. 

• Like 2
SURVEYMAN46123

So yesterday I picked up a new inhabitant for my little nano.   My LFS ordered a Yasha Goby a couple weeks back for me, and his supplier finally got one in for me.

SO without further adieu, meet Yoshi the Yasha Goby.   He is a bit shy at the moment, but I hope he perks up next week when I pick up his pistol shrimp.

54.jpg

55.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
6 hours ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

New Frags, and views from the couch. 

Coral.jpg

Tank.jpg

I appreciate a close up FTS just like the next guy, but this is a wonderful shot.  Tank looks as great as always. 

SURVEYMAN46123
58 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

I appreciate a close up FTS just like the next guy, but this is a wonderful shot.  Tank looks as great as always. 

Thanks man!   It was just a quick shot with the phone while trying to find something to watch on tv.   :)

The tank has been a wonderful journey so far.   Excited to see what it matures into.

SURVEYMAN46123

So this past weekend we rearranged our living room to incorporate a new couch.  I mention this because where the tank used to sit versus now I can see certain areas of the tank more clearly.   Well tonight after feeding the tank, I was taking a look towards the back of the tank looking for the Yasha Goby.  Upon further inspection I found a dime size area of this fuzzy white substance on the bottom of the rock.  Basically in one of the darkest parts of my tank.   It looks like a translucent/white hair Algae.  Any idea what it might be?   I’ll try to get a photo in a while.  It’s a concern as I don’t want it to take over my tank. 

Also I started up my macroalgae reactor a week ago tonight.  Started with a less than tennis ball size of mixed macroalgae.  Decided to open up the reactor this evening to see if there was any significant growth.  I used some black tape to cover the reactor so there was no light escaping.  I’m running the lights from 7 PM to 5 AM daily.  To my surprise I had a pretty significant amount of growth in just a week.   See for your self.  

Ive actually been thinking of adding the eshopps nano skimmer on top of the pump for the reactor in the second chamber.  However I’m not sure I need it.  I feed very lightly daily and twice a week I feed a mix of Reef roids and mysis.  I’m also switching out my floss every two days.  Honestly I haven’t tested my Pho4 or Nitrates in a while.  So I couldn’t tell you if it would be worth it or not.

another thing I’m considering is switching salt from IO to Red Sea Pro Salt.  I’ve read some opinions about switching salt and possibly harming corals.   That some don’t suggest it and just keep with what is working currently.   I’m considering the change as my calcium and Alk are dropping over the week as you’d expect.  Thought it might help on that part and also promote some faster growth on some of my corals.  However if that risk of switching Salt is there I might research or hold off.  

One last thing.  What do you think about placing my purple torch on top of my highest rock?   I’m still trying to figure out where I should place it.   

F8BE344D-EB47-45C9-999D-61AD2A14B13E.jpeg

C579B769-9742-4F9A-8DEA-8E7780B0CF1D.jpeg

• Like 1
On 12/18/2017 at 1:07 PM, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Another top down shot.   Just cause they are so sexy. 

However I need some more color.   Make this tank "pop"

1.jpg

Very nice!  Some pinks/reds/yellows might pop with all the green.  Might I suggest some blastos or acans?  (Disclaimer, I LOVE blastos so am biased).

40 minutes ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

Here is the “fuzz” I was speaking of. 

B0F21858-FE77-4D6D-8456-EC5DA05D78BE.jpeg

Can't really tell what it is but if it's on the back/dark side in lower flow, maybe a tunicate/sponge type thing?