Coral Vue Hydros

J-Ranko's IM Drop-Off Panorama 20g - new pics

J-Ranko

4 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Looking as gorgeous as ever!!!

Sorry your RFA is giving you such trouble, but I love the view of Lenny the Blenny in the side shot!!

Everything looks like it's doing well with the new light. 

Thanks, the corals are taking to the new light real well, I think the slow acclimation mode is the key.

Speaking of the RFA, there was more drama today.  After settling down for a few hours in the back behind my rockwork, this evening after the lights went out it somehow detached completely and free floated until it got caught by the sticky tentacles of the Duncan! :angry:

Here's a quick shot I took under the "moonlight" with my cell phone.  

RFAduncan.thumb.jpg.9673da74584e3874f022a1ad4cab3bde.jpg

Obviously the Duncan couldn't eat it (despite the effort). So I quickly grabbed it, placed in on the rock and turned off all pumps for 15 minutes.

Luckily it didn't float right into the intake of my power head. :o

It appears to have reattached itself to the rock, so I'm hoping it doesn't pull off any more crazy stunts on me today.

• Like 2
Pinner Reef

Stupid RFAs; glad it didn't get stuck to the overflow tho... Hopefully it finds a spot that it's happy with shortly.

What's the name of that orangish favia, if it is a favia.

1 hour ago, Pinner Reef said:

Stupid RFAs; glad it didn't get stuck to the overflow tho... Hopefully it finds a spot that it's happy with shortly.

What's the name of that orangish favia, if it is a favia.

It's actually an acan echinata. Here's a better close-up of it:

Echinata_acan.thumb.jpg.0eb3b8abc39ccd1ff9ea1a8d9deb33b8.jpg

The RFA is on the move again... Who knows where I'll find it tomorrow morning when I wake up.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

It's actually an acan echinata. Here's a better close-up of it:

Echinata_acan.thumb.jpg.0eb3b8abc39ccd1ff9ea1a8d9deb33b8.jpg

The RFA is on the move again... Who knows where I'll find it tomorrow morning when I wake up.

I just went through the same drama.... damn thing moved after 8 months of living behind the reef where no one could see it then crawls over the entire reef to get to the other end.  ?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Silly rfa. After everything I went through with mine I don't think I'd keep another one without an rfa-friendly tank. 

I knew going in that as an anemone, it was bound to wander.  I just had no idea it would be so finicky and keep this up for so long.  I think the flow in my tank is what's making it move. I'm not really sure what else to do.  

3 hours ago, Rehype said:

The RFA would probably settle in faster if you would just added some sand to your tank ;)

Nope. Nope. Nope. This will remain bare bottom. :P  I don't think it's the lack of sand.

3 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

I just went through the same drama.... damn thing moved after 8 months of living behind the reef where no one could see it then crawls over the entire reef to get to the other end.  ?

Mine is now in the underside of a rock overhang near the bottom of the drop-off.  It's obviously not a permanent place because otherwise it will never get food or light...

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I think yours is sending signals to mine, cause now it's starting to move off it's rock..... :unsure:

Oh no..... it's an uprising!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

I wish they'd just hurry up and present us with a list of their demands!! :furious:

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

I wish they'd just hurry up and present us with a list of their demands!! :furious:

If they're anything like mine was, all they demand is Total World Domination. With some incidental carnage as a nice bonus. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

If they're anything like mine was, all they demand is Total World Domination. With some incidental carnage as a nice bonus. 

I think they're just being greedy and demanding a tank of their own that's perfected suited to themselves. :lol:

That unfortunately is not an option. It'll have to get along with the other corals if it wants light and food...

• Like 3

Pics galore! :)  I took a bunch of top-down shots this evening and discovered something extraordinary (no spoilers).

My birdsnest

td_birdsnest.jpg

Elegance:

td_elegance.jpg

"Orange" montipora:

td_monti_orange.jpg

Setosa:

td_setosa.jpg

Rhodactis:

td_rhodactis.jpg

Red scoly:

td_scoly.jpg

Orange psammacora:

td_psamacora.jpg

Look at what's peaking from that tiny crevice!!! :o

Somehow the RFA gave birth after being released in the display and wandering about.  This is definitely the most colorful of the babies--the other two in the "nursery" are plain brown.  It's such a bright fluorescent green that I can't believe I missed it (it is pretty tiny).

• Like 7

Your tank is excellent! I really enjoy the clean look of a bare bottom tank and you've really managed to make a natural looking aquascape that is easy on the eyes. Awesome all around! Think it would look great with a big fat ole Miyagi frag in there.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

This explains so much, Mama RFA was just wandering around lookin' for her bay-bee!!!!

She's gonna have to move soon, the dark cave she chose to settle into has no light and no way for food to reach her. <_< 

46 minutes ago, Nic said:

Your tank is excellent! I really enjoy the clean look of a bare bottom tank and you've really managed to make a natural looking aquascape that is easy on the eyes. Awesome all around! Think it would look great with a big fat ole Miyagi frag in there.

Thanks! I've been seriously thinking of getting both the Miyagi and the Oregon tort together.  Just don't want to spend $$$ and end up with two tiny half-inch stubs. :lol:

• Like 1
17 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

Pics galore! :)  I took a bunch of top-down shots this evening and discovered something extraordinary (no spoilers).

Orange psammacora:

td_psamacora.jpg

Look at what's peaking from that tiny crevice!!! :o

Somehow the RFA gave birth after being released in the display and wandering about.  This is definitely the most colorful of the babies--the other two in the "nursery" are plain brown.  It's such a bright fluorescent green that I can't believe I missed it (it is pretty tiny).

omgomgomg:wub:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Yay for the rfa baby! 

Great pics, too :)

I finally purchased a top-down viewer this weekend.  Makes such a big difference in clarity. :) 

• Like 1

I got myself a Phosphorus ULR Hanna checker last week, plus a tiny Aquamaxx FR-S reactor and some GFO.  It just barely fits in the back.  My phosphorus today was measuring 72 ppb (or 0.22 ppm phosphate). Tonight I installed the reactor with just one tablespoon of GFO--hopefully a low enough starting dose not to cause any disaster. fingerscrossed:scarry:

Phosphate is the only parameter outside the ideal range for my tank. Nitrates are <5 ppm. It's being kept in check by my macro algae (dragon's breath).  Alk is 9dKH, Calcium at 440pm, Mag at 1300ppm, which I'm able to maintain with Kalk top-off.

Oh, and I've got an order of new corals coming in later this week. Not a big order--just two frags in fact.  With my SPS now consistently growing and encrusting, I've gotten bold enough to try these out.  It'll be a surprise. :ninja:

• Like 7
9 hours ago, gena said:

Awww..what a pretty baby!  I curse RFAs and their mobility, but then I see the babies and I want one LOL.

It seems a RFA-only or RFA-mostly tank is the best way to go with these guys, but that's a lot of extra effort. :lol: 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

It seems a RFA-only or RFA-mostly tank is the best way to go with these guys, but that's a lot of extra effort. :lol: 

Agreed. 

I still really love the one I have and want to get at least one more, but I am definitely on the lookout for wandering behaviour. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

Yep. I would only keep them in a separate tank.  I only want one tank.  And I would get bored with an all RFA tank if that was my only tank.  So I don't have any RFAs in my life lol.

• Like 3

This morning my package arrived!

unbox1.jpeg

I was worried about the temperature, but was pleasantly surprised to see 79F on my infrared thermometer from inside the package. The very thick insulation did its job.

unbox2.jpeg

Bag float acclimation

bagfloat.jpg

A dip in Revive and then few hours later....

oregontort2.jpg

icefireechinata.jpg

I was surprised to see how quickly the polyps on both frags came out after going in the tank. 

The first is a true blue Oregon tort, and the second is an ice fire echinata.  Probably the most delicate acroporas I've ever tried to keep... fingerscrossed

• Like 6