SaltCritters.com

J-Ranko's IM Drop-Off Panorama 20g - new pics

J-Ranko

16 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Agreed. 

I still really love the one I have and want to get at least one more, but I am definitely on the lookout for wandering behaviour. 

It has now decided to move under a rock.  It's barely getting any light. <_<

11 hours ago, gena said:

Yep. I would only keep them in a separate tank.  I only want one tank.  And I would get bored with an all RFA tank if that was my only tank.  So I don't have any RFAs in my life lol.

I've seen a tank where a group of RFAs were kept together in a shallow bowl. It seemed to work, but the tank was large.  In a nano, a bowl might not work. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, J-Ranko said:

This morning my package arrived!

unbox1.jpeg

I was worried about the temperature, but was pleasantly surprised to see 79F on my infrared thermometer from inside the package. The very thick insulation did its job.

unbox2.jpeg

Bag float acclimation

bagfloat.jpg

A dip in Revive and then few hours later....

oregontort2.jpg

icefireechinata.jpg

I was surprised to see how quickly the polyps on both frags came out after going in the tank. 

The first is a true blue Oregon tort, and the second is an ice fire echinata.  Probably the most delicate acroporas I've ever tried to keep... fingerscrossed

Moving this to new page. :happy:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J-Ranko said:

This morning my package arrived!

unbox1.jpeg

I was worried about the temperature, but was pleasantly surprised to see 79F on my infrared thermometer from inside the package. The very thick insulation did its job.

unbox2.jpeg

Bag float acclimation

bagfloat.jpg

A dip in Revive and then few hours later....

oregontort2.jpg

icefireechinata.jpg

I was surprised to see how quickly the polyps on both frags came out after going in the tank. 

The first is a true blue Oregon tort, and the second is an ice fire echinata.  Probably the most delicate acroporas I've ever tried to keep... fingerscrossed

Thats a mighty blue Tort ya got there!

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Nic said:

Thats a mighty blue Tort ya got there!

Nothing like the Oregon tort for a deep cobalt blue color.  Only a maxima clam, I think, gets a brighter blue.  The ice fire echinata, though, is surprisingly solid blue as well.  I was expecting something paler and closer to purple.  But it's a very pure blue.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Wow, really, really pretty new stuff!!!

Hope they do really well for you. :happy:

Thanks! They've survived and are showing good health and color so far in the first 24 hours. Acroporas can die all suddenly and randomly, though, so my anxiety level just went up.  :scarry: 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, J-Ranko said:

Thanks! They've survived and are showing good health and color so far in the first 24 hours. Acroporas can die all suddenly and randomly, though, so my anxiety level just went up.  :scarry: 

Acropora frighten me as well but still hasn't stopped me! Haha 

Of all the SPS I received last week, I only had one casualty and I honestly can't guess as to why other than the possibility that I placed it too close to the MP10. But 1/7 is okay in my book, I reckon. qvA6GOb.jpg

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Nic said:

Acropora frighten me as well but still hasn't stopped me! Haha 

Of all the SPS I received last week, I only had one casualty and I honestly can't guess as to why other than the possibility that I placed it too close to the MP10. But 1/7 is okay in my book, I reckon. qvA6GOb.jpg

I guess that would depend how much I paid for such a frag.  :lol:  The Oregon tort is pretty pricey, though the other acros at CR are very affordable.

Over two days and so far so good. Now if it would just hurry and grow. :lol:

Oregontort6.jpg

RFA is emerging from its cave!   Finally starved for some light, I imagine.

RFA04152017.jpg

FTS 4-15-2017

FTS_04152017.jpg

As you can see I removed the air plant container and let the baby RFA rock sit uncovered in the corner. The "nursery" became a cesspool of GHA, buble algae and other nasty stuff because it was isolated with low flow and low light  and turned into a detritus trap.  I figured if the other baby RFA in the tank can do well "exposed" to the elements, no reason why these other two can't figure it out either. 

• Like 5

This morning before "sunrise" the RFA fully emerged, of all place, front and center where there's lots of flow.  I don't imagine she'll stay in that spot for long, but it would be perfect if she did. :happy:

RFA41617.thumb.jpg.6dc10b1b62ccd25ffbba2e887ef711eb.jpg

• Like 7
6 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

This morning before "sunrise" the RFA fully emerged, of all place, front and center where there's lots of flow.  I don't imagine she'll stay in that spot for long, but it would be perfect if she did. :happy:

RFA41617.thumb.jpg.6dc10b1b62ccd25ffbba2e887ef711eb.jpg

Clearly, she likes attention! :lol:

• Like 1

It's looking beautiful, as always. 

Glad Mama RFA is feeling cooperative...... for the time being. 

Yeah, those air plant containers only work short-term. 

I took mine out and gave it a vinegar bath a while ago. 

They're really great for short-term tho!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

It's looking beautiful, as always. 

Glad Mama RFA is feeling cooperative...... for the time being. 

Yeah, those air plant containers only work short-term. 

I took mine out and gave it a vinegar bath a while ago. 

They're really great for short-term tho!!

Yeah, turns out all that glass is just more surface area for algae to grow on.  It did keep the baby RFA sheltered for a little while. Now they have to seek shelter on the rocks, being rock anemones and all. :lol: 

51 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Hopefully she decides to stay happy there, since as everybody knows...if Mama ain't happy... ;)

My fingers are triple crossed. fingerscrossed

In the meantime, I'm testing out this GIF app on my phone:

elegancegif2.gif

This was recorded just a few minutes ago, as the lights were dimming towards "sunset".  I'm too lazy to make a full video (editing + music cuts), but GIFs are easy.  I think certain aspects of our tanks, fish or corals are better captured in motion, like this elegance. 

• Like 6
On 4/19/2017 at 6:59 AM, teenyreef said:

Very cool! 

Thanks. One of these days I'll make a video...:D

Some updates on the tank:

9 days and counting my RFA has stayed put in that same spot front and center.  Fingers still crossed...fingerscrossed  

Meanwhile, my corals continue to adjust to the Radion on ramp-up. It's now three weeks into a 4-week acclimation period and I've had mixed results.  Some corals (mostly SPS) responded well.  Like this montipora setosa. My other montiporas are all growing fast.

Setosa42317.thumb.jpg.4164304dcd5a61e7f05cb1f66aec056d.jpg

Most of my LPS except my acan and my scoly have been pretty happy with the new light.  Surprisingly, my elegance coral which I was worried about most seems to have shrugged off the increased light entirely. It's about as inflated and flowy as before. 

My two new acros are doing well. They both continue to show nice blue colors and good polyp extension:

Oregon42317.thumb.jpg.cced6c50c2554ed61b2eb6b047ffea71.jpg

Oregon242317.thumb.jpg.8dbb67fc46e68d7a380c262cb76cb0c0.jpg

icefire242317.thumb.jpg.8bf161d6cc9d0c03043dfde5710a9565.jpg

I've put the acan in partial shade and it's doing a bit better.  I think I may have to do the same with the scoly.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Gramophone said:

That monti :wub: 

Those new acros are just beautiful.

Thank you.  The montipora setosa has done really well under the new light, and I'm surprised to see some growth on the Oregon tort now as well. There's a tiny amount of encrusting growth over the hardened glue that forms its base. The ice fire echinata is also showing some growth in its branches.  

Love the Oregon Tort... just wish it would grow more than 1/2" a year! I've heard that once the colony gets to a certain size, the rate of grow increases dramatically... it's just torture until then!

On 4/27/2017 at 7:34 AM, cnseekatz said:

Love the Oregon Tort... just wish it would grow more than 1/2" a year! I've heard that once the colony gets to a certain size, the rate of grow increases dramatically... it's just torture until then!

This one seems like it's going to grow first by encrusting on the frag plug, so I probably won't see much branching growth in the next few months. Oh well, at least it seems to be pretty happy.

Meanwhile, I'm on my last day of light acclimation for the Radion and my elegance made it through unscathed. 

elegance42817.jpg

I was a little worried as they're supposedly more accustomed to low light, but it has fared better than the scoly it's sitting next to (which got lighter in color). Strange. 

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...

Just came back from a 10-day long vacation to the Philippines and came home to this.  Remarkably, everything is still alive, acros included!

ATO + auto feeder worked with no issues. Now for a massive water change...

FTS5-23-17.thumb.jpg.6365210cfafbdce7bc7a4a76184a3270.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...