Cultivated Reef

Weetie's Zen Learning Experiment, Random Stuff

Weetabix7

fishfreak0114

Well I'm hopping on the bus, maybe a little late but I'm here!  The waterfall pico is too cool! :) Funny enough I was looking at that same tank two nights ago and thought what a cool pico it would make. I really like the approach you're taking to reefing, not trying to make everything fit to a specific plan. I kinda wanna do a pico now after looking at your tanks and a few others in the pico forum. If like to do one with lots of macro and easier corals. Not sure if I'll be able to convince my mom to let me set up tank #8 though lol :P

• Like 3
1 minute ago, tinyforest said:

Wow things are looking great. :D Your rock flower anemone has a beautiful color combination. 

Thanks, I REALLY love it!!!

I do want to get at least one more, in a completely different coloration. 

14 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Well I'm hopping on the bus, maybe a little late but I'm here!  The waterfall pico is too cool! :) Funny enough I was looking at that same tank two nights ago and thought what a cool pico it would make. I really like the approach you're taking to reefing, not trying to make everything fit to a specific plan. I kinda wanna do a pico now after looking at your tanks and a few others in the pico forum. If like to do one with lots of macro and easier corals. Not sure if I'll be able to convince my mom to let me set up tank #8 though lol :P

Welcome to the Zen Aquarium Bus!!

If you brought any good snacks, be friendly and share with others. 

It's so funny that you thought about that Waterfall as a Pico tank yourself!!

I honestly don't think the setup of it would be as good for Macros though. Who knows, maybe I'll prove myself wrong on that. 

The Pico setup in my Sig, from the 4g of Simplicity, would work much better for what you described. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Hey Guys, check out my cool new repurposed Coral Recovery Condo!!!

It's this neat looking glass container that was originally made to house an air plant. 

I killed the air plant (don't ask, life was intense last year, lol), and I had a little Yuma recovering from an unfortunate run-in with my Frogspawn, so I decided to try using it like this. It's worked pretty good!!

a5f73ee6-8e99-43af-a27a-8f49dcba8ec6_zps

This is one of my favorite tank inhabitants now, my newish Rock Flower Anemone. I plan on moving this over to the Waterfall Pico, into the first compartment, and making a Mini Anemone Habitat out of it. 

e5c0d997-47f9-48a9-af1a-f01471c0c8fb_zps

8 hours ago, teenyreef said:

How is it possible to kill an air plant...never mind :lol:

That's a great idea for the coral hospital chamber, I've always had a hard time balancing protection with stagnant water in the chamber.

Don't feel bad, I managed to kill two BEAUTIFUL air plants my mother-in-law gave me for Christmas.  I think this apartment was just too dry. :(

• Like 2
Needreefunds
18 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I took some pics of the Waterfall this morning, lit by natural sunlight only. 

You can see the great coralline coverage on the small rocks I was able to get from Fishy Business in Columbia, SC. They were super helpful and great to work with. 

43086181-75c3-49d7-80e3-43fee773e25c_zps

bbf4ba4a-80ea-4160-8df8-170d03a2a4f4_zps

This reminded me of Tiny's window lit pico from years ago. Remember? 

Looking good Weets. Good to see you with another interesting project. Fun stuff. 

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Needreefunds said:

This reminded me of Tiny's window lit pico from years ago. Remember? 

Looking good Weets. Good to see you with another interesting project. Fun stuff. 

Yes, I do remember, that was a great little tank, thx Friend!!

Hey Weetie are you still having issues with your sand and the flow? I love the look of fine grained sand but always have issues with sand dunes and bare spots. :angry:

4 hours ago, Polarcollision said:

Snacks: check

Interest: check. sweet find on the tank. That's awesome!

thread pictures.... more please!

Welcome to the Bus!!

Thank you, and

yeah..... I do need to get more pics.....

4 minutes ago, tinyforest said:

Hey Weetie are you still having issues with your sand and the flow? I love the look of fine grained sand but always have issues with sand dunes and bare spots. :angry:

Yes, but at the same time it hasn't been in there that long. 

Doesn't it need to build up a biofilm or something?

Most of my tanks have been barebottom, so I'm less educated about sand, lol. 

Also, my frags seem to like the Waterfall Pico much better than the 4g they started out in. :happydance:

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Welcome to the Bus!!

Thank you, and

yeah..... I do need to get more pics.....

Yes, but at the same time it hasn't been in there that long. 

Doesn't it need to build up a biofilm or something?

Most of my tanks have been barebottom, so I'm less educated about sand, lol. 

Also, my frags seem to like the Waterfall Pico much better than the 4g they started out in. :happydance:

I've heard that a lot too with the biofilms, but I dunno. :huh: The frags do look good! :P

• Like 1

Well I as well will have to hop on the bus. This tank looks really cool, 3 separate sections all connected! I am really liking the Rock Flower Anemone! Following along

• Like 1
On 3/6/2017 at 8:00 PM, Weetabix7 said:

I'm actually leaning very strongly toward a section with at least 1 RFA and Maxi Mini Anemone and some Pederson's Anemone Shrimp. 

Hi Weetie - I'm really interested in the Maxi Mini Anemone and Pederson's Anemone Shrimp combo you are thinking about for one of your pico sections. How much space do you need for this pair?  Do they need to be separated from various corals?  I'm wondering if I could get this pair for my bowl.  I think @Lula_Mae commented on them being good for picos in post somewhere too. 

That RFA you have is awesome!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, dpoltsdsu said:

What a cool system! Looks great!

Thx so much!!

It actually looks much better in person, I have GOT to work on getting better with photography and editing. 

It's on my "to do" list, haven't gotten much done today other than shipping out cause my brain's been all :wacko: all day. 

2 hours ago, money88 said:

Well I as well will have to hop on the bus. This tank looks really cool, 3 separate sections all connected! I am really liking the Rock Flower Anemone! Following along

Welcome to the bus, happy to have you participating!!

13 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Hi Weetie - I'm really interested in the Maxi Mini Anemone and Pederson's Anemone Shrimp combo you are thinking about for one of your pico sections. How much space do you need for this pair?  Do they need to be separated from various corals?  I'm wondering if I could get this pair for my bowl.  I think @Lula_Mae commented on them being good for picos in post somewhere too. 

That RFA you have is awesome!

RFA's really are gorgeous, and SO easy to care for!!

When I had my 4g tank set up previously (the pics in my Sig are from that time), I had 2 Maxi Minis in there and a pair of Pederson's Shrimp. It was only a 10" cube and they did great. 

Both Maxi Mini's and RFA's CAN wander, but mine haven't wandered once they settled into their location, which didn't take long. 

I read articles here to learn a bit about RFA's: http://www.vipreef.com/rock-anemones/

Here's the tank thread from when I previously had the Maxi-Mini's and Pederson's Shrimp: 

• Like 3
On 3/14/2017 at 2:07 AM, jstuver said:

I don't know how I missed what your plans were but that's awesome! Can't wait to see it take shape!

Thanks so much, nice to have you following along!!

On 3/14/2017 at 11:23 AM, gena said:

Looks even better with coral in it and natural lighting :wub:.  I can't wait to see the RFA compartment set up!

Thanks!!!

I'm thinking I'll probably get that Anemone compartment set up at the beginning of next week. 

But who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and pull it off before then!! :lol:

1 hour ago, got2envy said:

Looking good chicka!! any new schtufss going in there? 

Hey Girl, so nice to see you poke your head in here!!

I have an RFA and a Maxi Mini Anemone that I need to move from the 4g to the up and coming "Anemone & Shrimp Villa" in the Waterfall. 

I have a purty frogspawn frag I MAY move over, but haven't decided yet if it's too big. 

Other than that, I need to do rearranging get a better lightstand, stuff like that. 

I'm just taking it one step at a time and doing more with it as opportunities present themselves. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Bella's Reef said:

I am digging the waterfall setup, very cool thought to turn it into a reef, absolutely genius! 

Thanks so much!!

When I started it, I figured half the people would think I was nuts for trying to turn a cheap-ish Betta setup into a Reef Pico, but I was too excited about the possibilities to let that stop me. :happy:

• Like 2