Innovative Marine Aquariums

Teenyreef's Deep Blue 30g - Massive Reorg

teenyreef

On 11/6/2018 at 12:54 PM, LogicalReefs said:

Fed ex and UPS are horrible with that lol. I will only use USPS cause they are much more reliable to me. Plus when I ship stuff they some times get there sooner than expected.

USPS is pretty good for me and they come to my house at about lunch time, which is six hours before UPS and Fedex. But on the other hand, both UPS and FedEx have shipping centers within ten minutes of where I work. So I have them ship for pickup at the shipping center, which means they are ready for pick up by about 9 AM. And no worries about spending the day driving around in the truck.

On 11/6/2018 at 1:12 PM, Lula_Mae said:

I've had good and bad experiences with both, where I used to live I wouldn't trust USPS with a Christmas card! :lol: Here they usually all do a pretty good job, at least locally. UPS last year stuck my package in the warehouse over the weekend...RIP pink streaked wrasse. :sad:

I remember that - it was awful!

On 11/6/2018 at 5:06 PM, StinkyBunny said:

When you see so many of them come through, you know where they come from. I have one a Springer's and a Yellowtail damsel together and they get along just fine. Put 2 of the same species in the tank and you won't need a powerhead, lol.

We're actually trying to get Longnose Hawks to spawn for us in the one Gorgonian vat. I wish raising marine fish was as easy as freshwater.

I love my springers damsel. One of the best nano fish I've ever had. He's nice to the other fish, he eats pests, and he's an incredible deep metallic blue that beats any fancy sports car metallic paint job 🙂

• Like 1

So as you can see by the fact that I'm just now replying to posts from late November, I've fallen shamefully behind on all my tank threads. Things are going well and many frags are starting to outgrow the tank. Time to see if I can find some local reefers to take the frags - it's too cold right now to ship.

Here's a picture of the Christmas decorations in the front foyer and the front of the study where the frag tank is. Merry Christmas and happy new year!

20181214_182956.jpg

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I missed this! Did you start a build thread?

Thanks!

I haven't, I have been looking around for a stand. Once I find one then I will start working on the sump and plumbing. Hoping to get a nano-box duo over it with some supplemental T5's, sun-blasters probably. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I haven't, I have been looking around for a stand. Once I find one then I will start working on the sump and plumbing. Hoping to get a nano-box duo over it with some supplemental T5's, sun-blasters probably. 

That will be great! You definitely will need the T5's. I have the Nanobox hybrid which is a Duo with four T5s and I have it maxed out with blues at 100% and whites at 25%. There's a lot of area to cover from front to back.

• Like 2

One more full room shot, this time from the inside of the study. These are my daughter's dogs, visiting for Christmas. Can you tell she just went out the door? :lol:

20181227_223749.jpg

• Like 5

We get the best growth out of tanks and runs with T5 and LED lighting. LED has come a long way, it's just not the all encompassing light system yet. I run the LEDs to bring up the light from dawn, then 5 hours of T5 mid day, then the LEDs ramp down to night.

• Like 2
On 12/31/2018 at 10:22 AM, StinkyBunny said:

We get the best growth out of tanks and runs with T5 and LED lighting. LED has come a long way, it's just not the all encompassing light system yet. I run the LEDs to bring up the light from dawn, then 5 hours of T5 mid day, then the LEDs ramp down to night.

I agree, the T5's really make a huge difference over LEDs alone. I think the more even coverage, both in area and in spectrum, helps a lot.

• Like 1

Sadly, I haven't seen Doug the puffer in at least three or four days now. He was doing fine, eating well and swimming around like normal, the last time I saw him. I suspect he took advantage of how lax I've been with keeping the tank covered, and jumped out in back of the tank. 

RIP Doug 😞

In better news, I took a New Year's FTS and top down picture. The frags are all doing well, even the zoas seem to be doing better after a series of dips last month.

I'm starting to think about growing some mother colonies on the rocks, as right now they're all pretty much unused other than a few random frags that got attached accidentally.

2019-01-01 DB30 FTS:

2019-01-01 DB30 FTS

2019-01-01 DB30 Top Down:

2019-01-01 DB30 Top Down

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

A few more random progress pictures...

Right front:

20190101-untitled-041.jpg

Left front:

20190101-untitled-042.jpg

Middle, with tons of ORA Pearlberry frags turning into mini colonies:

20190101-untitled-047.jpg

Middle right, where the ORA Bird of Paradise frags are taking over:

20190101-untitled-046.jpg

In the back right corner, there's a huge idaho grape monticap covering the bottom and side glass. I put a little cup on top of it to grow some RG inferno mushroom frags. It's going well except for the aiptasia that's growing in there too. Boo :rant:

20190101-untitled-044.jpg

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

that hawkfish!  😍

We're working on breeding them. I have 3 pairs, but can't figure out the trigger. Even then, there's the raising of the larvae. If I can get them to spawn, I have a lot of resources at my disposal to get them raised. This is my wife's pet project.

Teeny, sorry to hear about Doug. those guys are hard to come by, I'll keep an eye out for you. They come from really deep water, not often found above 80'.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

We're working on breeding them. I have 3 pairs, but can't figure out the trigger. Even then, there's the raising of the larvae. If I can get them to spawn, I have a lot of resources at my disposal to get them raised. This is my wife's pet project.

Teeny, sorry to hear about Doug. those guys are hard to come by, I'll keep an eye out for you. They come from really deep water, not often found above 80'.

Thanks, Stinky, I'll miss Doug. I did find one at an LFS but when I looked at it closer, it was mislabeled and didn't have the leopard spots. The only place I ever found them was Divers Den, and that was after getting on the notification list and buying right away.

Good luck with the hawkfish!

21 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

I need to see who is moving them and see if I can get a box or 2 to get some. I've seen them on lists, but very limited availability.

That would be sweet :happydance:

12 minutes ago, Griever said:

Man, those Pearlberry "frags" are getting huge! I'll have to keep an eye out for the next time you're selling "frags" 😉

Yeah, I'll probably sell the big frags locally this month, but the smaller ones will be big in a few months and should be available for shipping then 🙂

• 4 weeks later...

While clearing out frags with some local buyers, I discovered that there are acropora eating flat worms (AEFW) in the tank. Grrrrr :rant:

I don't really know how they got in since I always dip new frags, but clearly I either missed a frag or I didn't dip long enough, or didn't use a dip that would kill them. Since I can completely remove all the acropora frags from the tank for dipping, I'm going to try dipping them once a week for the next six to eight weeks and then let things be for a while to confirm they're all gone. If that doesn't work, I'll have to set up a quarantine tank so that any AEFW eggs that hatch in this tank don't have any acropora to eat.

The good news is I don't have any acros in this tank I can't stand to lose - right now most of them are frags of the ORA Pearlberry, and I have a couple frags already in the other tanks.

The bad news is I don't know if there are any that have made their way into either of the display tanks. Only time will tell.

In better news, I did a zoa swap with a local reefer. Six out of seven have already opened up after the dip:

Magicians, LA Lakers, Emeralds on Fire, Gobstoppers, Twizzlers, Rainbow Incinerators, Reverse Space Monster

From left to right: Magicians, LA Lakers, Emeralds on Fire, Gobstoppers, Twizzlers, Rainbow Incinerators, Reverse Space Monster. 

• Like 1

In other news, I just realized this tank is almost two years old now! Other than the AEFW, it's doing really well. No algae problems, and nitrates and phosphates stay naturally low. I actually have to dose nitrates every once in a while to keep the nitrates above zero. I have to kill the occasional aiptaisia and vermetid snail, but corals grow great and the fish are happy.

• Like 1

Zoas look good and of course the Rainbow Incinerators are not open............I love them I had 3 I bought they grew to 50 plus then one day they all melted........not sure what happened......

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, spectra said:

Zoas look good and of course the Rainbow Incinerators are not open............I love them I had 3 I bought they grew to 50 plus then one day they all melted........not sure what happened......

If mine grow I'll send you some!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

If mine grow I'll send you some!

Thanks but I did frag so a few locals have me covered. I try to spread the love so if shit does melt I can say hey remember.........

It does suck though........they were nice.

IMG_5022.jpg

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, spectra said:

Thanks but I did frag so a few locals have me covered. I try to spread the love so if shit does melt I can say hey remember.........

It does suck though........they were nice.

IMG_5022.jpg

I just got a frag of these today as well, can't wait till I've got that many! Definitely one of my favorites. 

• Like 1