Innovative Marine Aquariums

Teenyreef's Deep Blue 30g - Massive Reorg

teenyreef

StinkyBunny
4 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I have been missing in action this week. Got a brand new hip joint replacement on Monday. I confess I did not or have not caught up on peoples threads but if there are any frags lefts I would love one. Or put me in line for next time.

Hope you heal up fast!!

Teeny, try putting them in a cup with the rubble until they attach. I use this method on my Weeping Willow leathers. When they split, they roll up in a ball and wander through the tank, really cool. I have a piece getting ready to split that I'm going to post up on IG tomorrow if I get a chance. I've been busier than a 1 legged man at an ass kickin' contest cutting firewood from the storm.

If you need more rubble I can send yo a box. I have gobs of it, it's all I use for frags. When I get short pieces of Tonga branch in, I saw it into discs.

• Like 1

I've had this same issue with nepthea frags in the past. What I find works best is to fill a deli cup with rubble and lay the frags in the cup. Place the cup in a lower flow area and the frags will attach the the rubble on their own in a week or so.

• Like 2

Thanks, everyone! I just got back from a week out of town and the rubble rock came while I was gone. I rubber-banded the frags to the rubble rock and put them all in the back corner of the tank where there's not much flow. If I need to, I'll put them all in cups too.

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

You could try putting some egg crate around them too to keep them corralled if they wander. That's what they do when they detach from the mother colony. I have 3 of the green tipped Weeping Willows getting ready to split and start rolling.

• Like 1
On 3/10/2018 at 4:33 PM, StinkyBunny said:

You could try putting some egg crate around them too to keep them corralled if they wander. That's what they do when they detach from the mother colony. I have 3 of the green tipped Weeping Willows getting ready to split and start rolling.

Good idea! That's the nice thing about having most of the bottom of the tank covered with egg crate. When they detach, they get caught up in the egg crate almost right away.

So far, they are all staying attached to the rubble rock. Having crevices in the rock for the coral to fit into makes a big difference - it keeps the rubber bands from cutting into the stalks of the corals.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

For those waiting patiently for blue kenya tree frags, I've got four out of seven frags firmly attached and ready to go. I'll start PM'ing folks about shipping this weekend, with shipments going out next week. 

I have a few other frags in the tank that are ready for sale. I'll out together some pictures and prices in case anyone wants more than just the kenya tree frags. 

• Like 6

Well, obviously I didn't get the pictures done this week, nor did I get set up to ship the leathers out. But that's why I didn't want anybody to pay anything until I was ready to ship. Work is very busy this week, so I won't be able to ship anything.

With two-day shipping, I like to wait until the late afternoon to box up the corals, that way they don't spend any more time in the box than necessary. But that means I have to get off work early on shipping day which just isn't always possible. Sorry!

I'm going to shoot for next week. The good news is everything should be fully attached by then, and the frags are growing nicely. So everybody should be getting pretty good size frags.

I still need to get pictures of the other frags that I'd like to get out of the tank. Hopefully I can get that done tomorrow night!

• Like 5

Tonight I rearranged the frags from their former semi-random setup to put the same kinds of corals together. I took some pictures although some were still closed up. I'll post more tomorrow night, but here's a preview for now! 

20180403-untitled-001-Edit.jpg

• Like 10
  • Wow 1

Here are some closer shots of corals that I need to clear out someday...

Green monticap that's been growing for as long as I've had the tank set up. That's all one pieces on a single frag plug. I doubt I could ship it without breaking it though.

20180403-untitled-004.jpg

Bubblegum montipora. The other three are fresh frags that need to heal and grow a little for a while. Bird of Paradise birdsnest, pink tabling acro, and I think Electric Miyagi Tort.

20180403-untitled-005.jpg

From right to left: blue digitata (brown right now due to some lighting issues), elkhorn stag, and Jason Fox Red Hot Setosa. Also my failed attempt at grafting red and green montiporas. They didn't graft, but they are growing together quite nicely.

20180403-untitled-006.jpg

Lots of green monticap, and two healed idaho grape montipora.

20180403-untitled-007.jpg

Red montipora, and two just-started idaho grape montipora. The sunny D's are on the rock - they started from one polyp that drifted away from a frag plug.

20180403-untitled-003.jpg

I also have some zoas and green star polyps frags but they were closed when I took pictures. I'll try to get them posted tomorrow night.

I haven't even thought about pricing yet, so let me know if there's anything particularly interesting. The small red and idaho grape frags will be freebies for anyone that wants them with other corals.

Oh, and here's a slightly blurry picture of the blue kenya tree forest. I'll PM folks this weekend to work out shipping for next week!

20180403-untitled-008-Edit.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
StinkyBunny
8 hours ago, pappadumplingz said:

Break some laws and send us a few will ya? 

They'll bleach your tank and put your ass UNDER the jail.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
pappadumplingz
2 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

They'll bleach your tank and put your ass UNDER the jail.

Yea basically. They've done it to people that have been caught with ricordea floridas.

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

That is a neat looking kenya tree! I'll have to keep an eye out for when you grow more. 

I've got extras! What I don't seem to have is time to get off work early enough to go home, box up corals, and get them to the post office by 5. :(

The good news is the longer it takes, the bigger they are getting :)

• Like 3

I went to reef a palooza Sunday. Could not find blue kenya, branching GSP or a pistol goby pair. But between my daughter in law and my self we left with a dozen frags. I gave her a JBJ pico for her birthday back in Nov. these are her first corals. Any way if you have extras of the blue kenya I would like one. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I went to reef a palooza Sunday. Could not find blue kenya, branching GSP or a pistol goby pair. But between my daughter in law and my self we left with a dozen frags. I gave her a JBJ pico for her birthday back in Nov. these are her first corals. Any way if you have extras of the blue kenya I would like one. 

Absolutely! I'll put you on the list :)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, things got busy and April has flown by! The leathers are ready to ship and I just PM'd everybody who expressed interest. If I missed anyone, please PM me and we'll get something set up. Also, if anyone is interested in any of the other frags I posted, let me know and we can figure out a price so they can all ship together.

The tank is doing well, but I've struggled with the calcium reactor. My alkalinity level started dropping a few weeks ago, and it looked like the reactor wasn't working. I took it all apart, verified there was CO2 in the tank, put it back together, and it seemed to be working fine. But I couldn't get it to drop the Ph level in the reactor the way it should, even though the CO2 was bubbling. After a couple weeks of replacing tubing, verifying the check valve was working, changing out the drip pump, playing with the bubble rate and drip rate, I kind of got it working. For two days. Then it stopped working completely because the CO2 ran out.

I've concluded that when the CO2 gets low, things go haywire even though the CO2 is bubbling at the same rate. This is the second time I've gone through this with the reactor, and I've concluded it's just too much hassle. So I reset the dosing pumps and loaded them with concentrated dosing solution for now.

I've ordered a third pump from BRS, along with larger dosing containers. I'm going to switch over to AIR Essentials, like I have in the other two tanks. It has been working great in those tanks, and it would be nice to reduce or eliminate water changes in this tank, especially since nutrients stay so low anyway.

• Like 2

Coming from running a paintball store for 10 years CO2 at low levels will cause all types of headaches. If you continue later down the road keep two tanks. Pressure gauges on Co2 at a hobby level are a joke. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Coming from running a paintball store for 10 years CO2 at low levels will cause all types of headaches. If you continue later down the road keep two tanks. Pressure gauges on Co2 at a hobby level are a joke. 

And mine doesn't even have a pressure gauge. That's a good idea to keep two tanks. In the future I'll know that once I start seeing things go wonky, it's time to change the tank even if it still seems like it has gas.

11 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Even the dual stage CO2 regulators (Paxair, Linde, Concoa and misc) with fabco needle valves, seen in the planted tank world?

DaveFason
11 hours ago, xiaoxiy said:

Even the dual stage CO2 regulators (Paxair, Linde, Concoa and misc) with fabco needle valves, seen in the planted tank world?

Most of those are so-so. Accurate gauges can run $100+. In the grand scheme of things a CO2 system on any type of tank is not that complicated. Having two tanks is well worth that $30-60 extra. 

12 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Most of those are so-so. Accurate gauges can run $100+. In the grand scheme of things a CO2 system on any type of tank is not that complicated. Having two tanks is well worth that $30-60 extra. 

You're absolutely right about gauges running $100+. I remember back in the day when I used to run a CO2 injected planted tank, the dual stage CO2 regulator, alone, cost me over $300. 

teenyreef
3 hours ago, xiaoxiy said:

You're absolutely right about gauges running $100+. I remember back in the day when I used to run a CO2 injected planted tank, the dual stage CO2 regulator, alone, cost me over $300. 

That's a lot of two part dosing solution :lol:

I really like the Calcium reactor when it works. It keeps things rock steady, much more so than dosing, even with an automated doser. It was just difficult getting all the setting just right, between the drip rate, the Co2 bubble rate, and the trigger Ph level. And then as soon as I got everything dialed in, the drip pump would start to clog and have to be adjusted, or the CO2 would start to run low. 

I'd probably revisit it with a larger tank, though. I'd get a better drip pump that would have a reliable flow rate, and have a spare CO2 tank, with a better idea of how to know when it gets low.

teenyreef

I just dropped off all the corals scheduled to ship out today at the post office.

That feeling you get when you walk into the post office with an armload of boxes just as the postal worker is closing up and she lets you drop them off anyway:happydance:

• Like 5