Innovative Marine Aquariums

Teenyreef's Deep Blue 30g - Massive Reorg

teenyreef

Those are some really nice pieces! Maybe when I'm more confident about the ability of overnight shipping between you and me post-hurricane, I'll see if you still have any blue kenya. 

• Like 2

The Red Drum are on the move, dunno if you're a fisherman, but they're pushing the mullet against the shore line. I murdered mullet yesterday. Most of the mullet had marks on them from the big Red Drum.

HookedOnAquariums

Dang teeny, i've been reading your threads for a while (throwing off hw for these stockpiles of info) and i didn't know you sold corals! once i get my light and my tank cycled, i'm going to have to save some zoas from your dangerous clutches.

• Like 1
On 9/27/2018 at 4:54 PM, teenyreef said:

That one is JF Ice Breaker. One of my favorites. 

I just remembered I posted all these in the 40g thread so here's a cut and paste:

JF Enchanted Forest:

20180922-untitled-009.jpg

ARC Fireworks:

20180922-untitled-008.jpg

JF Cry Babies:

20180922-untitled-007.jpg

JF Ice Breaker:

20180919-untitled-006.jpg

JF Maze Brain:

20180919-untitled-005.jpg

Tyree Pinky the Bear:

20180918-untitled-004.jpg

JF Sidetracked Goni

20180914-untitled-003.jpg

JF Hateraid:

20180913-untitled-002.jpg

JF Supersonic Echinata:

20180913-untitled-001.jpg

Do you order straight from jason foxs site? I have seen some people complaining about his inflated prices.  Maybe it's just me but his prices seem reasonable to me lol

• Like 1
On 10/1/2018 at 7:58 PM, Weikel said:

Do you order straight from jason foxs site? I have seen some people complaining about his inflated prices.  Maybe it's just me but his prices seem reasonable to me lol

I got these straight from him, but it was during his live sale. So most of the frags were priced at about half the normal web site prices. 

To me, "overpriced" means the price is so high that no one buys it. If there are people out there that will pay $1200 for the latest cool looking JF frag, then clearly it's worth that much. At least to a few people. It's a collectible market built around supply and demand, so new and cool stuff that hasn't been fragged a lot will be worth a lot of money to people that want it and can afford it.

On the other hand, when you're looking at a common named frag that can be bought from multiple sources, paying more for it just because it comes from Jason Fox's tank doesn't seem to make any sense to me. So like all things in this hobby, doing the research up front is critical before buying.

Most of the frags I bought I felt were worth the price given that I was getting a good discount. The main exception that comes to mind is the "JF Enchanted Forest" which looked like an unusually colored birds nest, but in actuality looks like a perfectly ordinary birds nest that was photographed with a lot of color saturation. But I will reserve judgement on that one until it gets bigger and is growing under ideal conditions.

Some of the others are no prettier that comparable ones I've gotten from web sites like AquaSD. The difference is that they are "name-brand" Jason Fox frags. That doesn't make them prettier, but it does affect the resale value of the frags because people can look at the mother colony on Jason's web site, or look at frags from other people's tanks, and have a reasonable expectation of what they will get based on more than just one picture of one frag from one tank.

It's like the difference between buying a genuine Oregon Tort instead of a "blue tort". You know what the OT will look like under good conditions. The "blue tort" could turn out to be anything, and you won't have confidence that it will develop the beautiful deep blue colors of the real OT.

On 9/28/2018 at 5:43 PM, Lula_Mae said:

Those are some really nice pieces! Maybe when I'm more confident about the ability of overnight shipping between you and me post-hurricane, I'll see if you still have any blue kenya. 

I've got one frag right now, but I can cut more any time 🙂

• Like 1
On 10/1/2018 at 6:49 PM, HookedOnAquariums said:

Dang teeny, i've been reading your threads for a while (throwing off hw for these stockpiles of info) and i didn't know you sold corals! once i get my light and my tank cycled, i'm going to have to save some zoas from your dangerous clutches.

Ha ha, sure thing! The zoas have been kind of up and down in this tank. It seems that I just need to do regular light iodine dips every few weeks to keep them looking good.

4 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I got these straight from him, but it was during his live sale. So most of the frags were priced at about half the normal web site prices. 

To me, "overpriced" means the price is so high that no one buys it. If there are people out there that will pay $1200 for the latest cool looking JF frag, then clearly it's worth that much. At least to a few people. It's a collectible market built around supply and demand, so new and cool stuff that hasn't been fragged a lot will be worth a lot of money to people that want it and can afford it.

On the other hand, when you're looking at a common named frag that can be bought from multiple sources, paying more for it just because it comes from Jason Fox's tank doesn't seem to make any sense to me. So like all things in this hobby, doing the research up front is critical before buying.

Most of the frags I bought I felt were worth the price given that I was getting a good discount. The main exception that comes to mind is the "JF Enchanted Forest" which looked like an unusually colored birds nest, but in actuality looks like a perfectly ordinary birds nest that was photographed with a lot of color saturation. But I will reserve judgement on that one until it gets bigger and is growing under ideal conditions.

Some of the others are no prettier that comparable ones I've gotten from web sites like AquaSD. The difference is that they are "name-brand" Jason Fox frags. That doesn't make them prettier, but it does affect the resale value of the frags because people can look at the mother colony on Jason's web site, or look at frags from other people's tanks, and have a reasonable expectation of what they will get based on more than just one picture of one frag from one tank.

It's like the difference between buying a genuine Oregon Tort instead of a "blue tort". You know what the OT will look like under good conditions. The "blue tort" could turn out to be anything, and you won't have confidence that it will develop the beautiful deep blue colors of the real OT.

I've got one frag right now, but I can cut more any time 🙂

Yea I totally understand what your saying about over priced corals in regards to if someone will pay for it then it's not over priced . More power to these vendors if they can get some of these crazy prices , it just won't be from me. Imo there is a sucker for every bet too lol..

What I was saying about jason fox stuff was that from the few things I have looked at buying he was actually cheaper then some of the other vendors I have been looking at. I just thought it odd bc i had seen a lot of chatter about his stuff being "overpriced"🤷‍♂️

I like the corals you picked up from him too.. waiting on the in tank photos though😊

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Yea I totally understand what your saying about over priced corals in regards to if someone will pay for it then it's not over priced . More power to these vendors if they can get some of these crazy prices , it just won't be from me. Imo there is a sucker for every bet too lol..

What I was saying about jason fox stuff was that from the few things I have looked at buying he was actually cheaper then some of the other vendors I have been looking at. I just thought it odd bc i had seen a lot of chatter about his stuff being "overpriced"🤷‍♂️

I like the corals you picked up from him too.. waiting on the in tank photos though😊

Yeah, I think that's a good way of putting it. And there's no doubt that the initial high price for a new designer coral will fall quickly once it's not so new and all the high rollers have their frags. People like you and me wait until the price is reasonable. 

For example, I have a Walt Disney frag in my 40g. I always thought they were really pretty but there was no way I was paying $200-400 for a booger sized frag from the online vendors. Eventually I got one for $70 from a local reefer who did buy one of the original $400 ones and was fragging it after it grew out. I'm sure he made his $400 back several times even at only $70 per frag. I see the Homewrecker probably following a similar path and getting more reasonably priced in another year or so.

That's a good point about Jason's prices. I don't see the non-JF frags as being especially more or less expensive than other vendors. But it depends on which specific frag it is. For example, PC Rainbow on Jason's site looks to be about $10 cheaper than most other sites right now. On the other hand, Strawberry Shortcake is $20 more than what Vivid is selling it for. Of course, WWC is selling Strawberry Shortcake for $10 more than Jason, so again, he's not really overpriced. Just not the cheapest you can get.

I posted in tank photos of the new JF corals a couple pages back. I'll bring them up here...

On 9/28/2018 at 11:34 AM, teenyreef said:

Here are some better pics of the new frags. Overall the colors are pretty much the same as shown in the website pictures. Just less saturated 🙂

JF Ice Breaker:

20180927-untitled-002.jpg

JF Hateraid. This one doesn't look like much yet, but should grow out with a lot of interesting blues, purples, and yellows in addition to the green.

20180927-untitled-003-2.jpg

ARC fireworks. Another one that will look more interesting when it gets bigger.

20180927-untitled-004.jpg

Tyree Pinky the Bear:

20180927-untitled-006-2.jpg

JF Enchanted Forest. So far it looks like a generic birdsnest to me. And not in great shape.

20180927-untitled-007.jpg

JF Sidetracked goni. This is an expensive one that I didn't mean to buy, honestly. But it does have a lot of potential to look awesome when it grows out.

20180927-untitled-008.jpg

JF Supersonic Echinata. This was a $5 coral. It will probably always look like a $5 coral :lol:

20180927-untitled-010.jpg

JF Maze brain. A $10 coral. It has a little more potential than the $5 coral.

20180927-untitled-011.jpg

JF Cry Babies zoas. I love these and hope I can figure out the right level of light to keep the deep colors. This picture is a little off, they look better in real life.

20180927-untitled-018.jpg

Bringing these back up...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, teenyreef said:

Yeah, I think that's a good way of putting it. And there's no doubt that the initial high price for a new designer coral will fall quickly once it's not so new and all the high rollers have their frags. People like you and me wait until the price is reasonable. 

For example, I have a Walt Disney frag in my 40g. I always thought they were really pretty but there was no way I was paying $200-400 for a booger sized frag from the online vendors. Eventually I got one for $70 from a local reefer who did buy one of the original $400 ones and was fragging it after it grew out. I'm sure he made his $400 back several times even at only $70 per frag. I see the Homewrecker probably following a similar path and getting more reasonably priced in another year or so.

That's a good point about Jason's prices. I don't see the non-JF frags as being especially more or less expensive than other vendors. But it depends on which specific frag it is. For example, PC Rainbow on Jason's site looks to be about $10 cheaper than most other sites right now. On the other hand, Strawberry Shortcake is $20 more than what Vivid is selling it for. Of course, WWC is selling Strawberry Shortcake for $10 more than Jason, so again, he's not really overpriced. Just not the cheapest you can get.

I posted in tank photos of the new JF corals a couple pages back. I'll bring them up here...

You got any more of them $70 Walt Disney frags?

Image result for tyrone biggums

• Haha 3
HookedOnAquariums
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

Ha ha, sure thing! The zoas have been kind of up and down in this tank. It seems that I just need to do regular light iodine dips every few weeks to keep them looking good.

That sounds like a bit of work. What salt do you use?

HookedOnAquariums
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

JF Cry Babies zoas. I love these and hope I can figure out the right level of light to keep the deep colors. This picture is a little off, they look better in real life.

20180927-untitled-018.jpg

How much are these? I might pick them up in a week or two if  my light setup goes according to plan

• Like 1

I agree 110% with wjat you guys were saying about frag prices. Even being out of the game for almost a year,some frags have gone way down  from last year and some have gone up. Its all a name game,its sickening really. 

But you know me Teeny I am cheap as hell lol. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, HookedOnAquariums said:

How much are these? I might pick them up in a week or two if  my light setup goes according to plan

Sorry they're not for sale. They are new ones I just picked up. Hopefully they'll grow fast, though, and I can share them! 

When I buy online sometimes I am surprised it looks so nice and other times... I am disappointed they saturated/adjusted the picture 😞 I really don't trust 'yellow' colors in photos. 

Buying from fellow reefers is definitely the way to save some $$$

I could not take it anymore and picked up a cheap frag of somewhat browned out BOP at the LFS. Kept thinking of yours lol

• Like 1
A Little Blue
3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

When I buy online sometimes I am surprised it looks so nice and other times... I am disappointed they saturated/adjusted the picture 😞 I really don't trust 'yellow' colors in photos. 

Buying from fellow reefers is definitely the way to save some $$$

I could not take it anymore and picked up a cheap frag of somewhat browned out BOP at the LFS. Kept thinking of yours lol

If you like a little mystery and fun, buy cheap brown acros. Acclimate them slowly and over time blast them with blues/UV and see what becomes out of it. 😉

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

If you like a little mystery and fun, buy cheap brown acros. Acclimate them slowly and over time blast them with blues/UV and see what becomes out of it. 😉

On my next build I'm thinking of doing that exact thing,and many different spectrums of UV'S and royals I can find,and a few mints and let 'er eat lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
HookedOnAquariums
3 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

On my next build I'm thinking of doing that exact thing,and many different spectrums of UV'S and royals I can find,and a few mints and let 'er eat lol. 

Is this a new fad? Cus i'm broke and want acros so this is exactly what my 10 gallon is going to be. Worse case, coral dies and you lose 10 dollars. best case you get something rarer and prettier than a HW and become the next jason fox.

• Like 1
A Little Blue
17 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

11 minutes ago, HookedOnAquariums said:

Is this a new fad? Cus i'm broke and want acros so this is exactly what my 10 gallon is going to be. Worse case, coral dies and you lose 10 dollars. best case you get something rarer and prettier than a HW and become the next jason fox.

When my frag tank matures a bit, I’ll get dozen or more frags from wild colonies ($5-10 frags cut fresh by myself from my favorite LFS) and see what comes out of it. BTW almost if not all cheap $5-10 brown frags will turn to $20 or more frags with a bit of time and patients. Lol 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, HookedOnAquariums said:

Is what a new fad ? I've always used all blues and violets and only turned on the whites when taking pics. 

Give it a little prices will drop. In my thread I got all of my Acro's for $10-$15. A few times I paid maybe $20-$30 for pieces like PC Rainbow or Rainbow Mille's. 

• Like 1
HookedOnAquariums
1 minute ago, Reefkid88 said:

Is what a new fad ? I've always used all blues and violets and only turned on the whites when taking pics. 

Give it a little prices will drop. In my thread I got all of my Acro's for $10-$15. A few times I paid maybe $20-$30 for pieces like PC Rainbow or Rainbow Mille's. 

getting browned out frags 

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Have you ever thought to look at Pacificeastaquaculture or BSA ? PEA has skme killer mini colonies for cheap !!!  

They have some really nice stuff cheap. Before we started importing he was our go to place, now Tonga is my go to place, lol.

Teeny, if you want to see that maze brain really take off, place it on a flat piece of rock and it'll grow like hell.