Pod Your Reef

Hypes SPS Dropoff Peninsula-New Skimmer

Rehype

Just now, Rehype said:

So finally got some shots of my first sps. This one is still coloring up but the PE is absolutely incredible...

34142728571_cef53cc2de_z.jpg 

Yowza!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Yowza!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks weets! I've never seen such strong PE on a frag during the day... Amazingly at night the polyps can still extend a bit further :eek:

1 hour ago, Rehype said:

So finally got some shots of my first sps. This one is still coloring up but the PE is absolutely incredible...

34142728571_cef53cc2de_z.jpg 

Wow. What kind of acropora species is it? 

14 hours ago, J-Ranko said:

Wow. What kind of acropora species is it? 

Thanks J...I'm not sure gotta do some research on the corallite structure.

1 hour ago, markalot said:

Oh hey, this thread just got interesting. :)   Kidding, hopefully things continue to go well for you.

Thanks Mark :lol: I know this is the slowest build ever. I can honestly say its never taken me so long to add livestock but then again ive never added coral first to any of my builds (especially sps) 

• Like 1
Marc.The.Shark

Holy Pax-Bellum Batman! I go awol for a few weeks & you get an even bigger one! Lol. How am I not surprised! Are you trying to keep NO3/PO4 in negative numbers or what?? Ha. You're gonna have to dose to keep the cheato happy! What size tank is that beast rated for anyway? Do you think that it will be too efficient at some point? Hell, I'm dosing Spectracide to keep stuff happy; I can't buy a Nitrate & Im only running carbon and a crappy Tunze 9001 and thinking about shutting that down! Love the Pom-Pom by the way, always wanted one. If I ever find one locally it's in my tank!

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Marc.The.Shark said:

Holy Pax-Bellum Batman! I go awol for a few weeks & you get an even bigger one! Lol. How am I not surprised! Are you trying to keep NO3/PO4 in negative numbers or what?? Ha. You're gonna have to dose to keep the cheato happy! What size tank is that beast rated for anyway? Do you think that it will be too efficient at some point? Hell, I'm dosing Spectracide to keep stuff happy; I can't buy a Nitrate & Im only running carbon and a crappy Tunze 9001 and thinking about shutting that down! Love the Pom-Pom by the way, always wanted one. If I ever find one locally it's in my tank!

LOL you know me...if your gonna go go all out.  I plan to feed heavily when the tank is fully stocked and with this model I should be able to go a month or so between pruning. Its rated for tanks up to 180 gallons so its definitely oversized but if I find it to be too efficient I can always shorten the photoperiod. I was running skimmerless for a while because my bioload was so low but I finally turned the  skimmer on about 10 days ago and you you should see all the junk the aquamaxx is pulling out :blink:.  Thanks man pom poms are the coolest whenever they decide to show themselves lol.

• Like 1
Bella's Reef
On 4/23/2017 at 10:44 AM, Rehype said:

So I was up making some RO/DI water last night and happened to peer into the tank and saw my pom pom crab. This is the first time ive seen this crab in months and it looks shes been busy lol.  Theres no chance of the eggs being fertilized but its pretty cool to see nonetheless. 

33835593540_3ed54bc51f_z.jpg

That is too cool, great photo! Did you end up working a deal out with that guy on RC for the white skimmer?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bella's Reef said:

That is too cool, great photo! Did you end up working a deal out with that guy on RC for the white skimmer?

Thanks Sean! We worked out a deal but it arrived damaged so I had to send it back.

So it was about time to prune the algae in the reactor and at least the empty the skimmer cup. I've been nothing but impressed with the performance from this skimmer thus far. In the future i'm going to prune the algae a bit sooner. Additionally I got a cuc crew from John at reefcleaners as algae was bit out of control. (Mostly diatoms, film and hair algae)

34391784396_6321c37fb5.jpg  34302679951_5dc21a5570.jpg

• Like 14
Weetabix7
1 hour ago, Rehype said:

So it was about time to prune the algae in the reactor and at least the empty the skimmer cup. I've been nothing but impressed with the performance from this skimmer thus far. In the future i'm going to prune the algae a bit sooner. Additionally I got a cuc crew from John at reefcleaners as algae was bit out of control. (Mostly diatoms, film and hair algae)

34391784396_6321c37fb5.jpg  34302679951_5dc21a5570.jpg

Wow!!

1 hour ago, Weetabix7 said:

Wow!!

1 hour ago, Nano sapiens said:

^^  That's some nutrient export, for sure!

Thanks guys although im a bit embarrassed because thats without any fish! lol

1 hour ago, metrokat said:

Hairy Sticks, what's not to like! :blush: 

I started up an algae reactor this past weekend also. We need this!

:happy:

Awesome I gotta see what you cooked up.

Weetabix7
9 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Impressive growth from the reactor, wow! Dry them out and sell them as loofas at the local farmers market? Sustainably farmed! :lol: 

Sustainably Farmed Loofahs FTW!!!! :haha:

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Impressive growth from the reactor, wow! Dry them out and sell them as loofas at the local farmers market? Sustainably farmed! :lol: 

Thanks Chris it was definitely worth the investment. Thats a great idea especially since they dont stink! :lol:

11 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Sustainably Farmed Loofahs FTW!!!! :haha:

:lol:

• Like 1

Got a a frag of branching GSP from a buddy and decided to mount it like a tree....thought it looked pretty dramatic. Ill continue to trim it as it grows so it keeps that appearance. What do you think?

34645327251_4e3afafe50_c.jpg

• Like 16
1 minute ago, Rehype said:

Got a a frag of branching GSP from a buddy and decided to mount it like a tree....thought it looked pretty dramatic. Ill continue to trim it as it grows so it keeps that appearance. What do you think?

34645327251_4e3afafe50_c.jpg

I really like it!!

You got any shots of how it looks in the larger context of the tank?

7 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

I really like it!!

You got any shots of how it looks in the larger context of the tank?

Thanks weets!

I actually dont have any at the moment but I plan to take some FTS shots at the end of the month.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Branching GSP is pretty cool!

I totally agree...whats even better is I dont have to worry about it spreading and choking out other corals. Its growth will be confined to that island.

• Like 3