inTank Media Baskets

Hypes SPS Dropoff Peninsula-New Skimmer

Rehype

On 9/18/2017 at 3:04 AM, Rehype said:

Hey TJ sorry somehow I missed your reply.  Well so far the dipping has went pretty well. After the first few dippings I laid off a bit because the frags didnt look too hot. In the meantime I added a frag rack and gave them some time to recover.  What took me by surprise was I also discovered black bugs (they look like copepods but are darker and like to burrow inside the polyps of the acros) My initial thoughts was I should just burn all my acros and start over but ultimately decided against it.  I wanted to give my best effort  first and hopefully document what works as there wasnt much info on them.  So I went back to my dipping regimen (every 4 days in melafix marine 20ml per 1/2 cup of tank water) This worked well but I still had a number of these pods in the tank. So I finally added a yellow coris wrasse and he made a huge difference in just a week or two.  I was a bit sad to see thousands of pods reduced to almost nothing but it was worth it.  I wish I remembered to take a pic of the millepora as it was almost bleached white but still had a tiny bit of PE now its gotten most of its color back despite repeated dips and abuse. 

I also decided to keep adding to my montipora collection as they were totally unaffected by these pests... picked up a nice appleberry.

36484428553_66425467f8_z.jpg

Im happy overall since I havent seen anymore black bugs and just one small flatworm in my last dip. So things are definitely looking up. The plan is to dip 1-2 a week for the next month and if I can't  find any pest ill discontinue dipping and finally let these guys color back up. Im a bit amazed at their resilience as I didn't think they would be able to handle so much stress.

Just in case you guys never seen a flatworm up close. Took a pic..

36484426893_acd863f743.jpg

That pic really says it all! AEFW are like SPS bandaids in how they blend so well. This is why there's usually an infestation before we see them. 

Hope all all is going well now~

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Nola Bear said:

That pic really says it all! AEFW are like SPS bandaids in how they blend so well. This is why there's usually an infestation before we see them. 

Hope all all is going well now~

Thanks Nola bear! So far so good! No signs of flatworms or black bugs.  Im really happy the two prong attack of dipping and natural pest control has worked for me again. Im going to keep a close eye over the next few weeks and if everything remains clear Ill go back to stocking. 

Your right its super hard to see these guys on your coral. The only way to tell alot of times is by the damage they leave behind.

• Like 1

So I picked up the Tunze 9004 DC a few months back because I wanted a skimmer that could fit in one of my back chambers. I went with the DC model because I prefer dry skimmate and this model gives you the ability to tweak the foam height. I have to be honest I was underwhelmed with the build quality (too much plastic and very fragile) but I have been very impressed with its performance...

37525088911_25e17b3e68_z.jpg 37525084521_db54762747_z.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
31 minutes ago, Rehype said:

So I picked up the Tunze 9004 DC a few months back because I wanted a skimmer that could fit in one of my back chambers. I went with the DC model because I prefer dry skimmate and this model gives you the ability to tweak the foam height. I have to be honest I was underwhelmed with the build quality (too much plastic and very fragile) but I have been very impressed with its performance...

37525088911_25e17b3e68_z.jpg 37525084521_db54762747_z.jpg

Yep, they feel a little bit flimsy but look at that perfect skimmate! Poo never looked so perfect or is that a wierd thing to say? :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Rory282 said:

Yep, they feel a little bit flimsy but look at that perfect skimmate! Poo never looked so perfect or is that a wierd thing to say? :D

Totally agree..you cant argue with the results! I was really skeptical at first but once adjusting to the lowest setting for air intake I got what you see above and no microbubbles. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Rehype said:

Totally agree..you cant argue with the results! I was really skeptical at first but once adjusting to the lowest setting for air intake I got what you see above and no microbubbles. 

Perhaps and dare i say it the best skimmer for aio tanks. Not that expensive, quiet and good performing... 

1 hour ago, Rory282 said:

Perhaps and dare i say it the best skimmer for aio tanks. Not that expensive, quiet and good performing... 

I would totally agree with that statement. Especially since they can fit in a wide array of AIO tanks.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the feedback. So far the tank has been free of pests and I started adding some frags over the last month. I'll have some new FTS pics at the end of the month!

• Like 4
On 12/13/2017 at 3:36 PM, Nola Bear said:

Good to see you back~

Thanks Nola!! I need to update more regularly.

On 12/15/2017 at 1:52 PM, tibbsy07 said:

Always great to see your tanks, Hype. Love the aquamai pumps, too!

Thanks alot Tibbs I appreciate it. This one is definitely a work in progress. Sooooo many setbacks. 

The aquamai are great pumps but Im not using them anymore because I found them to be a bit underpowered for my setup.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

On 1/11/2018 at 10:08 PM, Rehype said:

Hey guys really sorry for the delay. Had a bit of a setback (kind of a long story ill describe in more detail) 

I miss you, where you at @Rehype

• Like 1