inTank Media Baskets

Tuffryu's IM Fusion 10: SPS McLovin

Tuffryu

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Dang, sorry about the firefish. I don't keep them because they are so notorious about jumping every time the lid comes off.

Thanks.

Yea, I've learned my lesson. Too bad the pink striped wrasse aren't readily available. 

Sunday, funday. Did some testing and then a water change.

Alk = 8.5 dkh

Calc = ~450 ppm

Mag = 1400

NO3 = 2.5

PO4 = 0

I've had to start cutting some things back because the tank is getting crowded. The problem is the frag rack is now full :(

I gotta find a place for that green acro. It's doing really well.

24947531218_8407001445_b.jpg

The residents at the bottom don't get enough camera time. They're doing pretty good, especially the acan that started with only 3 heads a few months back.

24947529938_0e58dc6e15_b.jpg

FTS. I had to stick the GSP onto the back wall because they started spreading onto everything on the bottom and I figured they probably need a place to spread. We'll see what happens.

24947530558_0b728a8845_b.jpg

Go Seahawks!

• Like 2
16 hours ago, teenyreef said:

You've definitely hit the sweet spot! Running out of room for fast growing frags is a good problem to have :D

I think it's getting there. Although I still have a few frags that aren't doing nearly as good as others. 

It's tough. What works really well for one, doesn't do that well for others. 

• Like 1

Among many other pieces of excellent advice, @markalot has pointed out that there's always one or two that don't do well even when everything else is going great, and you risk messing the whole tank up just to fix a couple bad actors. Maybe at most try moving them to a different spot? You've got things dialed in so well, don't mess it up B)

• Like 1
14 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Among many other pieces of excellent advice, @markalot has pointed out that there's always one or two that don't do well even when everything else is going great, and you risk messing the whole tank up just to fix a couple bad actors. Maybe at most try moving them to a different spot? You've got things dialed in so well, don't mess it up B)

I've read markalot's posts. He's good indeed.

I'll be moving lots of things around pretty soon as I'm planning to rescape in order to make room. Thanks for the note as always.

• Like 1

My pocillopora colony hasn't been doing well lately and I wasn't sure why.

I finally had some time today and did a close inspection, I learned that I have a black sponge that's taken over the back area of my rock and started covering some of the frags :(

It's not bother the green pavona, but it started making its way up the base of a some stuff and more. I had a few corals that had this dark spot on them and now I have a feeling it was this sponge spreading.

38084057395_ebd57dcd81_b.jpg

You can see the darker stuff growing from the bottom and making its way up. Can't believe I didn't take time to see this.

Clipped the tips of this guy and glued them on a separate piece of rock - hoping he makes it.

25099196988_200184bf19_b.jpg

So now, 

I think I'm going to the LFS tomorrow to find some dry base rock and start cycling. The plans to re-scape the tank have expedited unfortunately. Sucks. 

21 hours ago, Tuffryu said:

My pocillopora colony hasn't been doing well lately and I wasn't sure why.

I finally had some time today and did a close inspection, I learned that I have a black sponge that's taken over the back area of my rock and started covering some of the frags :(

It's not bother the green pavona, but it started making its way up the base of a some stuff and more. I had a few corals that had this dark spot on them and now I have a feeling it was this sponge spreading.

38084057395_ebd57dcd81_b.jpg

You can see the darker stuff growing from the bottom and making its way up. Can't believe I didn't take time to see this.

Clipped the tips of this guy and glued them on a separate piece of rock - hoping he makes it.

25099196988_200184bf19_b.jpg

So now, 

I think I'm going to the LFS tomorrow to find some dry base rock and start cycling. The plans to re-scape the tank have expedited unfortunately. Sucks. 

dang, that sucks. this happened to me as well in my previous 75 gallon tank. I had to take out 4 rocks and scrub and rip off the sponge so it wouldn't keep growing. if there is even a small piece of that stuff on the rock, it will spread over and over again. I did that like 3 times before eventually it turned into me taking the corals off the rocks and replacing the rock with new ones. Best of luck with what you do.

Just now, FishDooD65 said:

dang, that sucks. this happened to me as well in my previous 75 gallon tank. I had to take out 4 rocks and scrub and rip off the sponge so it wouldn't keep growing. if there is even a small piece of that stuff on the rock, it will spread over and over again. I did that like 3 times before eventually it turned into me taking the corals off the rocks and replacing the rock with new ones. Best of luck with what you do.

Thanks FishDoo. Wow 75 gallons is a lot to replace. 

I had no idea it was happening because its on the backside of the display. I'm not sure exactly how sponges spread to other areas but it seems to be happening. I will likely replace the rock entirely, remove whatever frags I can or cut them off (as I'm not hesitant to use anything that encrusted on the rock - although I'm not sure if I need to do the sand as well? Any pointers on the sand would be appreciated.

3 minutes ago, Tuffryu said:

I had no idea it was happening because its on the backside of the display. I'm not sure exactly how sponges spread to other areas but it seems to be happening. I will likely replace the rock entirely, remove whatever frags I can or cut them off (as I'm not hesitant to use anything that encrusted on the rock - although I'm not sure if I need to do the sand as well? Any pointers on the sand would be appreciated.

The sand will be fine if you plan on replacing the rock. I would always shift the sand bed on the top layer or also vacuum the sand. this helps with the debris/detritus build up in there. The black sponge was the reason I decided to go with the rock i used in my Nuvo, an artificial / man made rock from aragonite that is painted purple & black. I bought it from a local reefer and it works good, its like the real reef rock. I seeded the tank with some rock from my old tank and added this man made rock afterwards. 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2017 at 4:01 PM, Tuffryu said:

Wow...this is making me want to fully inspect the back of my tank too.....hope all goes well

32 minutes ago, dferrari13 said:

Wow...this is making me want to fully inspect the back of my tank too.....hope all goes well

Yea you should, but I'm not stressing it. There's enough to worry about in life lol. If I lose some I lose some.

I just want the to scape to kick ass.

• 2 weeks later...

New scape done.

27911786709_9ab11d4929_b.jpg

Trying for the bonsai look. Kinda looks like a duck. Lmao

That marcos rock mortar is awesome stuff. 

27911785139_26b2541a4a_b.jpg

Just need some salt water to start cycling.

38792868485_bf46b128cb_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So my eshopps nano skimmer pump went down today after almost a year. Hoping to hear back from customer service to get a replacement.

26106462708_f3ddd1c94d_b.jpg

When it rains it pours...

So after that awesome incident, I go to feed the fish and turn off the tank pump.

Fed the tank, and go back to turn the tank pump on....nothing.

Turned off/on again and with no luck. Removed it, brushed it and tried again....nothing.

26106461898_0a7c62aea2_b.jpg

Was forced to move the dosing tubes, heater, ATO tube into the main display part which looks like a mess.

26106461338_3f208f6a39_b.jpg

Shit happens. I ordered the Sicce .5 as an upgrade pump off Amazon. Hoping it comes in fast.

The only good thing that happened today was the freshwater .5 gal bowl I set up to make a planted shrimp tank.

26106463248_0776a1d7b3_b.jpg

What a Monday.

• Like 1

Sicce .5 came in a few days ago and hooked it up.

It's really strong. I only have it half way and it's a significant difference. Nice, quiet and powerful.

25212830717_b385529d41_b.jpg

New base rock is still cycling in a bucket and I've started removing some frags off the main rock in the tank.

Not sure what's going as the NO2 hasn't spiked at all since Jan 15. Ammonia is still at 2.0 and no NO3. Probably need to wait it out longer.

Bought some plants for the bowl and it looks good. I can actually see the oxygen coming out of plants as they bubble to the top. Will probably add some shrimp to this in a few weeks. 

26210975658_31a9ec8a09_b.jpg

Go Eagles - if i need to cheer for a team :(

• Like 1

I've got a Sicce 1.5 in the 40g tank, it's bulletproof. It's crazy you had both pumps go out in one day! 

The new rocks look good. I love Emarco mortar. 

• Like 1
On 2/4/2018 at 4:11 PM, teenyreef said:

I've got a Sicce 1.5 in the 40g tank, it's bulletproof. It's crazy you had both pumps go out in one day! 

The new rocks look good. I love Emarco mortar. 

Bad luck, yea. The Sicce is an incredible upgrade - great pump. 

Thanks, the mortar is really good stuff to work with. Hoping the new rock cycles soon. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

New rock is finally starting to cycle. woohoo!

40295927962_a17decd637_b.jpg

This birdsnest is out of control and has gotten to the point where I need to frag it. 

38531362730_c2c506300b_b.jpg

Not sure what's going on, maybe just bad luck - but the Sicce return pump that I just got has failed already after a week :( so I returned it to Amazon. Drove down to the LFS and pick up a replacement. 

This is actually a pretty nice, extremely quiet pump. Not as strong but it's good....so far. 

38531361710_d3c62998be_b.jpg

Happy Sunday 

SURVEYMAN46123
19 hours ago, Tuffryu said:

New rock is finally starting to cycle. woohoo!

40295927962_a17decd637_b.jpg

This birdsnest is out of control and has gotten to the point where I need to frag it. 

38531362730_c2c506300b_b.jpg

Not sure what's going on, maybe just bad luck - but the Sicce return pump that I just got has failed already after a week :( so I returned it to Amazon. Drove down to the LFS and pick up a replacement. 

This is actually a pretty nice, extremely quiet pump. Not as strong but it's good....so far. 

38531361710_d3c62998be_b.jpg

Happy Sunday 

My sicce .5 sometimes fails to turn on after feeding the tank.   I've found that if I remove it once a month and give it a good scrubbing this solves the issue.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, SURVEYMAN46123 said:

My sicce .5 sometimes fails to turn on after feeding the tank.   I've found that if I remove it once a month and give it a good scrubbing this solves the issue.

Yea, that may have been it but given that it was only in the tank for a week - I decided to return. Good pump if you don't turn it off I suppose.