Pod Your Reef

Tuffryu's IM Fusion 10: SPS McLovin

Tuffryu

8 hours ago, dferrari13 said:

Why do things always malfunction when we are on vacation....go figure....glad to see it bounce back

It's getting there, thanks df!

So I started NO3PO4x about 2 weeks or so ago when I saw NO3 go up to about 7.

This stuff works. So now, I'm on to trying something different which is spot feeding - since nitrates are this low, I figured why not 

Failed to take pics of spot feeding, but I mixed about a quarter teaspoon of reefroids in a pinch of coral frenzy into a small container. Turned everything off and syringed the stuff on top of everything. We'll see what happens, but I can see that the polyps were out once I started this.

35867435744_5f67b25f00_b.jpg

Refill day. 

I hope to have all of the same brand products at some point. Yes, I have letters A and C written really big on everything :)

36656330116_30c766d80e_b.jpg

• Like 1

Recent. Post water change.

36581937331_ff63d14e76_b.jpg

You can still see the monti digis struggling as they're looking pale and crusty. Just don't get it as everything else is looking good - even the acro frags are extending well. Guess it's a waiting game now. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, nolanrob123 said:

Nice! How are you handling growth of coral onto the glass?

Hey Nolan. Great question.

The plating monits are definitely just about hittting the glass as is the birdsnest. I've been doing some light clipping here and there and just regluing the smaller frags onto other rocks, but those are starting to grow as well. The frag rack is now full so I may need to just let them grow out without cleaning the glass and clip larger frags to trade with the LFS.

Certainly a good problem to have I suppose!

3 hours ago, MortalWombat said:

Nice tank! Why the skimmer change?

Thanks Mortal.

The eshopps skimmer is by far a better product and removes much more. The MAME required a lot more attention - primarily for air adjustment and intake. 

I am spot feeding corals now at about twice a week, so the skimmer is vital and the less I have to mess with it the better.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Recent FTS.

37268367916_5d04b4d600_b.jpg

The digis just aren't recovering from the Alk storm so I've been pulling them out and replacing with some new frags. I'm also starting to rip out the damn button polyps as they're starting to take over. Happy Monday.

37268368346_d706524055_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Birdsnest gone wild.

23749112618_61569d300b_b.jpg

This one started as 2 small branches fragged from the colony above, and in a couple of weeks gets 2 more branches.

23749108908_928640ffde_b.jpg

Hydnophora is always extended.

23749110288_c356370c30_b.jpg

Hate Mondays :(

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using the Flipper magnet scrubber for a while now, but it's starting to fail for really sticky film stuff on the edges and corners. It may be in fact the blade so I'll probably need to replace. 

In the meantime, I found this stainless arm that I bought off Amazon. It actually came with some flex razor blades as well. 

37934663071_b75b165eb1_b.jpg

24083559248_767f3c8f0d_b.jpg

It works well but it's the sound of scraping that slays me. I do however, really like the look of the tank without the scrubber in it. I suppose I could remove the flipper when it's not being used. 

Humpday.

This post is a throwback as it has nothing to do with my current IM10... I really miss my fluval spec lll (2.6 gal).

22327483373_1a3a141dc2_b.jpg

The candy cane, pavona, and bird's nest have come a long way.

23474905140_2ba002d5ec_b.jpg

Happy Friday everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

Acan is starting to grow new heads.

38344301346_e10891d823_b.jpg

Birdnest is out of control now. Had to break off a few branches to clean the glass. The orange plating monti will need to get cut back as well. I can't clean the glass.

37685241384_d452b6791e_b.jpg

38344404076_a56ea5acca_b.jpg

Growth is always a good thing I suppose.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Tuffryu said:

Acan is starting to grow new heads.

38344301346_e10891d823_b.jpg

Birdnest is out of control now. Had to break off a few branches to clean the glass. The orange plating monti will need to get cut back as well. I can't clean the glass.

37685241384_d452b6791e_b.jpg

38344404076_a56ea5acca_b.jpg

Growth is always a good thing I suppose.

It's nice to know that sps growns well in a fusion 10. Introduced my first sps into my 10 acouple days ago! any tips? 

7 hours ago, NanoxNoe said:

It's nice to know that sps growns well in a fusion 10. Introduced my first sps into my 10 acouple days ago! any tips? 

Hi Nanox.

I've had good success with some small polyp stonies and have had my fair share die off. Luckily they've all been small frags so the loss is minimal financially. 

I'm not sure if these are tips, more like my experience with sps.

All tanks vary, so you'll need to experiment with what the right water params to strive for based on your light and water flow. Once you find these params, it's a game of maintaining those levels - period. Alk, Cal, and NO3 are my primary weekly water tests and I try to keep them at the optimal levels for my tank -  cal 400+, alk 7.5 - 8 dkh, and 0 nitrates. 

Nitrates are debatable, but I try to keep them low primarily because I spot feed twice a week, and broadcast feed twice a week. 

I change water about 1 - 1.5 gal a week, stir sand up every couple days, and dose daily. Skimmer runs 24/7, and my lights run at about 90% blues and 30 white. 

Hope this helps.

On 11/15/2017 at 4:49 PM, Tuffryu said:

Hi Nanox.

I've had good success with some small polyp stonies and have had my fair share die off. Luckily they've all been small frags so the loss is minimal financially. 

I'm not sure if these are tips, more like my experience with sps.

All tanks vary, so you'll need to experiment with what the right water params to strive for based on your light and water flow. Once you find these params, it's a game of maintaining those levels - period. Alk, Cal, and NO3 are my primary weekly water tests and I try to keep them at the optimal levels for my tank -  cal 400+, alk 7.5 - 8 dkh, and 0 nitrates. 

Nitrates are debatable, but I try to keep them low primarily because I spot feed twice a week, and broadcast feed twice a week. 

I change water about 1 - 1.5 gal a week, stir sand up every couple days, and dose daily. Skimmer runs 24/7, and my lights run at about 90% blues and 30 white. 

Hope this helps.

i appreciate it!! getting some more sps in the tank this weekend!

2 minutes ago, NanoxNoe said:

i appreciate it!! getting some more sps in the tank this weekend!

Awesome!

Looking forward to seeing them in action. Good luck!

SURVEYMAN46123
On 10/25/2017 at 7:15 PM, Tuffryu said:

I've been using the Flipper magnet scrubber for a while now, but it's starting to fail for really sticky film stuff on the edges and corners. It may be in fact the blade so I'll probably need to replace. 

In the meantime, I found this stainless arm that I bought off Amazon. It actually came with some flex razor blades as well. 

37934663071_b75b165eb1_b.jpg

24083559248_767f3c8f0d_b.jpg

It works well but it's the sound of scraping that slays me. I do however, really like the look of the tank without the scrubber in it. I suppose I could remove the flipper when it's not being used. 

Humpday.

Do share a link please.  :)

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I'm done with firefish. This is my 3rd one :(

It's my fault for not putting the lid on, but I hate lids as they just look so damn ugly.

R.I.P.

38532173002_c67b7cb7e5_b.jpg

• Sad 2