Pod Your Reef

TheKleinReef
13 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

did you drunk-typed that?  cuz you just replied/laughed at your own post....😂

i'm laughing at myself cause i usually post my ramblings in my lounge thread

• Haha 1
mitten_reef
2 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

okay so we know alk goes up during denitrification. but why is calcium going up at the same rate?

ca_alk.thumb.jpg.1e4fb882b31e5683555454cbed681030.jpg

you have a natural calcium reactor?  how's the tank pH profile?  is there a dip in pH every time there's a rise in Ca-Alk?    

TheKleinReef
4 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

you have a natural calcium reactor?  how's the tank pH profile?  is there a dip in pH every time there's a rise in Ca-Alk?    

nope. anything aragonite shouldn't be dissolving below a pH of like 7. my pH never drops below 7.8.

i bought another pH meter to verify pH as well. apex is within .03 of the handheld meter.

• Like 1
mitten_reef
21 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

alk_pH.thumb.jpg.eaf54b6ca9e56860229573054237ceb9.jpg

looking at this graph, it's odd when pH hits 7.9 alk goes up. but aragonite should not be dissolving at 7.9

lol, at this point, I just love living in the oblivious world of zero reef tank data points, lol. 

If I want to know where my alk is, I test it - it's done.  knowing this much is too confusing, haha. 

Join me on the dark side, get rid of Apex...🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
43 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

Something is off 

Yeah, something seems very off there, that's just an insane amount of extra buffer to end up in the water.

image.thumb.png.fb3167e3fe3f792dcf63edbaf484af9b.png

TheKleinReef
1 hour ago, A.m.P said:

Yeah, something seems very off there, that's just an insane amount of extra buffer to end up in the water.

image.thumb.png.fb3167e3fe3f792dcf63edbaf484af9b.png

Yeah. With no change in pH or anything else. Everything looks good. Will recalibrate it tomorrow. 

• Like 2
mitten_reef
15 hours ago, TheKleinReef said:

Yeah. With no change in pH or anything else. Everything looks good. Will recalibrate it tomorrow. 

Can you tell me again how many times per day you’re testing?  My friend said he gets consistent results, but only because he runs it every two hours.  Makes me wonder if there’s a recommended tests/day to keep reagent and sample in the line from getting stagnant. 

• Like 1
TheKleinReef
21 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Can you tell me again how many times per day you’re testing?  My friend said he gets consistent results, but only because he runs it every two hours.  Makes me wonder if there’s a recommended tests/day to keep reagent and sample in the line from getting stagnant. 

Minimum test is 4 alk tests and 2 ca/mag tests. 

Recalibrated it and it’s working fine now. I think it just ran out of reagent and it messed it all up. It said there’s was 48% left but it was Empty. I replaced the A reagent and calibrated. Now it’s working fine. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TheKleinReef said:

Except now my ca is testing low. O_o

ugh this is frustrating 

TBH, CA swings seem to be slow-moving and well handled by livestock, unless you have a precipitation event

mitten_reef
40 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

Trident is busted. That didn’t take long lol. 

Repairable?  I’m sure there are some YouTube out there on how to perform repair/maintenance. 

TheKleinReef
13 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Repairable?  I’m sure there are some YouTube out there on how to perform repair/maintenance. 

luckily I am big brain and figured it out. 
A connection to the solenoid was loose. Probably got pushed off due to back pressure from the waste line. 

no more leaking now. 
recalibrating it since the last time I did it, it was likely leaking. 

which makes sense. It thought it dumped in a lot of reagent when it didn’t. Cause most of it went on the floor of the trident. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • TheKleinReef changed the title to Roger's SPS 75G - NEW FTS PG 36