Innovative Marine Aquariums

Slinger's 25 gal Cube

GunslingerGirl

GunslingerGirl
13 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Sorry life has been so rough.  Both my grandfathers have rapidly progressing Alzheimer's so I know what you mean about watching intelligent men turn into someone you don't recognize.  Hope your cat is a great comfort to your granny, and I hope your wedding is all you want it to be, congratulations!

Also, vet school?  Wow!  If it's anything at all like med school, you have all my sympathies for the upcoming butt-kicking.  One day at a time!

I am sorry to hear that. It is so tough to watch. Ever time they remember something, it makes you smile though, doesn't it?

He will love being an only cat! He is a tripod.. so he doesn't particularly like being chased by the younger fellows/dog.

They say vet school is harder than med school just in the amount of knowledge it contains. We have to learn pretty much how to be an anesthesiologist/dentist/surgeon/pharmacist/general practitioner/etc all in one.  Also the multiple species things. Right now I have just under 30 credits of graded classes across avian/feline/canine/equine/caprine/ruminant species. It is really hard to keep it all straight. I wish it was like a lot of med schools where it was pass/fail. It would be a lot less stressful, and we wouldn't be ranked so high in suicide rates I think. But we are lobbying for that as a school, right now. If we could just get med school and vet school to be on the same level... and maybe add a year to spread out the course.. and you know.. not make it so debt crushing... that would be great.

Medical/vet/dental/etc schools as a whole suck. Lol

• Like 1
On 8/27/2017 at 4:14 PM, GunslingerGirl said:

I am sorry to hear that. It is so tough to watch. Ever time they remember something, it makes you smile though, doesn't it?

He will love being an only cat! He is a tripod.. so he doesn't particularly like being chased by the younger fellows/dog.

They say vet school is harder than med school just in the amount of knowledge it contains. We have to learn pretty much how to be an anesthesiologist/dentist/surgeon/pharmacist/general practitioner/etc all in one.  Also the multiple species things. Right now I have just under 30 credits of graded classes across avian/feline/canine/equine/caprine/ruminant species. It is really hard to keep it all straight. I wish it was like a lot of med schools where it was pass/fail. It would be a lot less stressful, and we wouldn't be ranked so high in suicide rates I think. But we are lobbying for that as a school, right now. If we could just get med school and vet school to be on the same level... and maybe add a year to spread out the course.. and you know.. not make it so debt crushing... that would be great.

Medical/vet/dental/etc schools as a whole suck. Lol

I can only imagine how much info it is!  I thought about med school at one time but then decided...nah.  :lol: Is vet school only four years for all that information?

GunslingerGirl
6 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I can only imagine how much info it is!  I thought about med school at one time but then decided...nah.  :lol: Is vet school only four years for all that information?

Yup standard 4 years, then of course a 1-2 year internship (should one choose it) and then if you specialize more interning and boards.

You are saner than I. Lol

• Wow 1
1 hour ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Yup standard 4 years, then of course a 1-2 year internship (should one choose it) and then if you specialize more interning and boards.

You are saner than I. Lol

That's crazy, hopefully they will expand the curriculum to five years in the future. Knowing how much healthcare has advanced, I can only imagine that animal care has advanced over the years too. I understand how hard you had to work to get in so I hope you're able to get through! 

GunslingerGirl
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

That's crazy, hopefully they will expand the curriculum to five years in the future. Knowing how much healthcare has advanced, I can only imagine that animal care has advanced over the years too. I understand how hard you had to work to get in so I hope you're able to get through! 

Thanks! I'll get through. I've spent too much money to let myself flunk lol

What's interesting is we even have fish medicine now....as in.. here run some anesthesia through this water lets remove a tumor.. medicine. INSANE! Awesome stuff though. Not what I want to do for the rest of my life. But pretty nifty.

• Wow 1
On 8/29/2017 at 10:24 AM, GunslingerGirl said:

Thanks! I'll get through. I've spent too much money to let myself flunk lol

What's interesting is we even have fish medicine now....as in.. here run some anesthesia through this water lets remove a tumor.. medicine. INSANE! Awesome stuff though. Not what I want to do for the rest of my life. But pretty nifty.

Haha I feel you, I can only imagine the money vet school costs!  That is super duper cool about fish anesthesia!

GunslingerGirl
22 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Haha I feel you, I can only imagine the money vet school costs!  That is super duper cool about fish anesthesia!

Yea we learn some cool stuff! Maybe one day I'll use half of it lol

• Haha 1
GunslingerGirl

For those interested. Fiance wants another clown. He saw the black onyx occs at the LFS the other day and fell in love. Lol didn't want a pair or clowns.... but alrighty then.

Current plans are to get a wrasse  or pygmy angel (tbd) and then the other clown. 

Thought about a clown goby as well....but LFS never has many gobies. Those they do are kinda meh.

Going to have to change direction with tank since Harry the hermit likes to snack on corals.... -_- not sure if small inverts would be safe with him around.....so might as well get a wrasse and call it a day. Might add some pom poms down the road and see what happens. 

12 hours ago, GunslingerGirl said:

For those interested. Fiance wants another clown. He saw the black onyx occs at the LFS the other day and fell in love. Lol didn't want a pair or clowns.... but alrighty then.

Current plans are to get a wrasse  or pygmy angel (tbd) and then the other clown. 

Thought about a clown goby as well....but LFS never has many gobies. Those they do are kinda meh.

Going to have to change direction with tank since Harry the hermit likes to snack on corals.... -_- not sure if small inverts would be safe with him around.....so might as well get a wrasse and call it a day. Might add some pom poms down the road and see what happens. 

If my hermit snacked on my corals I think I would snack on it! :lol:

GunslingerGirl
14 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

If my hermit snacked on my corals I think I would snack on it! :lol:

I didn't buy anything too fancy. lol I figured it needed tested first.

The hammer just melted from the tank collapse, the yumas... and the zoas... he ate. Might leave them alone if he was better fed... but meh.

I don't have a sump to throw him in... and he is too big for the AC.

Ultimately I want to make a pest tank and throw him and the gorilla in there. I have an empty 5 gallon, but I want to leave it for QT until I am done adding fish.

I doubt a smaller mantis would be able to even dent him. So might go that direction too. But LFS never has them, and KPaquatics is out of stock... :(

3 hours ago, GunslingerGirl said:

I didn't buy anything too fancy. lol I figured it needed tested first.

The hammer just melted from the tank collapse, the yumas... and the zoas... he ate. Might leave them alone if he was better fed... but meh.

I don't have a sump to throw him in... and he is too big for the AC.

Ultimately I want to make a pest tank and throw him and the gorilla in there. I have an empty 5 gallon, but I want to leave it for QT until I am done adding fish.

I doubt a smaller mantis would be able to even dent him. So might go that direction too. But LFS never has them, and KPaquatics is out of stock... :(

I bet you could email KP and see if they can get you one or when they might have one in stock.  I know others have worked with them to get stock they were looking for!  What kind of hermit is he again?  I had trouble with a zebra hermit years ago.  Now I finally mustered up the courage to try again with a scarlet hermit and LiveAquaria sent me an empty shell.  They also sent me two ceriths that turned out to be one cerith and one unidentified hermit in disguise... :unsure:

GunslingerGirl
20 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I bet you could email KP and see if they can get you one or when they might have one in stock.  I know others have worked with them to get stock they were looking for!  What kind of hermit is he again?  I had trouble with a zebra hermit years ago.  Now I finally mustered up the courage to try again with a scarlet hermit and LiveAquaria sent me an empty shell.  They also sent me two ceriths that turned out to be one cerith and one unidentified hermit in disguise... :unsure:

He is a thin stripe or something like that. Got him from John. Came in with my batch of ceriths lol He's grown A LOT since then.

I just placed an order with them a few weeks back for some stuff. I need to save up some first. But they have the best customer service. Lost an urchin in transit. And the free one they sent along with. Was refunded immediately. Great company. I did get a misidentified mantis last time, but it worked out. Still a small smasher, so all was well.

Maybe in the spring when I have a break. I need to cycle and set up the tank still anyway. I only used uncured LR, so I would need to save big for that lol I'm a LR snob.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, GunslingerGirl said:

He is a thin stripe or something like that. Got him from John. Came in with my batch of ceriths lol He's grown A LOT since then.

I just placed an order with them a few weeks back for some stuff. I need to save up some first. But they have the best customer service. Lost an urchin in transit. And the free one they sent along with. Was refunded immediately. Great company. I did get a misidentified mantis last time, but it worked out. Still a small smasher, so all was well.

Maybe in the spring when I have a break. I need to cycle and set up the tank still anyway. I only used uncured LR, so I would need to save big for that lol I'm a LR snob.

Yeah I think thin stripes get pretty big!  LR snob, haha. :lol:

GunslingerGirl
Just now, Lula_Mae said:

Yeah I think thin stripes get pretty big!  LR snob, haha. :lol:

3 inches of terror. LOL Do not recommend them.

He leaves all the critters alone though. Just the corals. He cleans the urchin. Thought he was eating him one day. Nope. Just the algae.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, GunslingerGirl said:

3 inches of terror. LOL Do not recommend them.

He leaves all the critters alone though. Just the corals. He cleans the urchin. Thought he was eating him one day. Nope. Just the algae.

Three inches would be like a third of my tank depth lol.

GunslingerGirl

Three inches would be like a third of my tank depth lol.

Its like three inches in length and maybe 2 high.. so more like a fourth of your tank lol

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Its like three inches in length and maybe 2 high.. so more like a fourth of your tank lol

This is true...I have rocks that size lol.

GunslingerGirl
2 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

This is true...I have rocks that size lol.

Well yea you have picos. He would probably take care of you algae issues right up though. lol He's a busy bugger.

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, GunslingerGirl said:

Well yea you have picos. He would probably take care of you algae issues right up though. lol He's a busy bugger.

I'm sure, both my algae problem and my coral problem would be allll taken care of! :lol:

• Haha 1
GunslingerGirl

I went stress shopping yesterday...... At least I bought things I knew I needed lol

Replaced the candy cane with a tiger. He is in QT for a few weeks to get any ich off him... see below.

I also bought a 3 mouthed ric (well 2.5) for $25, so we are trying to see if Harry will leave it alone if I spot feed him. If not, I am going to dump him on the LFS.

Originally I was going to get a firefish, but they had none left. So I thought, OK well let's see what other gobies they have... all of them had ich.. or were various forms of fuzzy... or dying. So I do not think we will be buying from them any longer.

I had to freshwater dip everything, which I wasn't sure I could do with a shrimp. He seems ok. Built himself a little nest in the substrate I threw into one corner of the QT.

Hopefully nothing attached itself to the ric. I don't want to deal with ich.

From now on, I guess I have no LFS. :(

• Wow 1
18 hours ago, GunslingerGirl said:

I went stress shopping yesterday...... At least I bought things I knew I needed lol

Replaced the candy cane with a tiger. He is in QT for a few weeks to get any ich off him... see below.

I also bought a 3 mouthed ric (well 2.5) for $25, so we are trying to see if Harry will leave it alone if I spot feed him. If not, I am going to dump him on the LFS.

Originally I was going to get a firefish, but they had none left. So I thought, OK well let's see what other gobies they have... all of them had ich.. or were various forms of fuzzy... or dying. So I do not think we will be buying from them any longer.

I had to freshwater dip everything, which I wasn't sure I could do with a shrimp. He seems ok. Built himself a little nest in the substrate I threw into one corner of the QT.

Hopefully nothing attached itself to the ric. I don't want to deal with ich.

From now on, I guess I have no LFS. :(

I went to a highly regarded (according to google and facebook reviews) LFS around Charlotte that had some of the absolute worst and most disgusting tanks I have seen in 9 years. Fell in love with a baby misbar clown. Brought her home, she got sick (well, prob was to start with), and I took her back.  Lesson learned.  And now my tank is fallow-ish lol.

GunslingerGirl
41 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I went to a highly regarded (according to google and facebook reviews) LFS around Charlotte that had some of the absolute worst and most disgusting tanks I have seen in 9 years. Fell in love with a baby misbar clown. Brought her home, she got sick (well, prob was to start with), and I took her back.  Lesson learned.  And now my tank is fallow-ish lol.

I knew to stay away from the fish lol but I couldn't help myself with the shrimp and ric.

I just hate that this is what passes for a good LFS around here. If I was back in Cleveland, I would have access to several top notch LFS with friendly staff, better stock, and better deals. I have decided it might just be worth the 6 hour round trip just to see what I am buying. 

1 minute ago, GunslingerGirl said:

I knew to stay away from the fish lol but I couldn't help myself with the shrimp and ric.

I just hate that this is what passes for a good LFS around here. If I was back in Cleveland, I would have access to several top notch LFS with friendly staff, better stock, and better deals. I have decided it might just be worth the 6 hour round trip just to see what I am buying. 

It might lol.  I've rarely had access to good LFS and even the ones in Charlotte are an hour away from me (and I went to one on the far side of the city and it took a good 45+ mins to go what usually takes 25-30 to get to the second--I don't even try to go to the one with nasty tanks as it's north of the city and a PITA to get to for me).  So I buy online.  Most online retailers have better guarantees anyway.

GunslingerGirl

It might lol.  I've rarely had access to good LFS and even the ones in Charlotte are an hour away from me (and I went to one on the far side of the city and it took a good 45+ mins to go what usually takes 25-30 to get to the second--I don't even try to go to the one with nasty tanks as it's north of the city and a PITA to get to for me).  So I buy online.  Most online retailers have better guarantees anyway.

I'm always so afraid to buy online. And my QT is an 11 inch cube. So if I buy my planned wrasse, I would feel horrible about sticking it in there for weeks. I do have an old 10 gallon in my parents attic from way back when, but gosh only knows what I stuck in that thing when I was a kid. It would be better anyway. I wish our local community had more active members on the trade boards.

6 minutes ago, GunslingerGirl said:

I'm always so afraid to buy online. And my QT is an 11 inch cube. So if I buy my planned wrasse, I would feel horrible about sticking it in there for weeks. I do have an old 10 gallon in my parents attic from way back when, but gosh only knows what I stuck in that thing when I was a kid. It would be better anyway. I wish our local community had more active members on the trade boards.

Oh, true.  Well, Petco sometimes has their dollar a gallon sale so anytime you're near them when one of those is going, just pick one up for $10!  Better than trying a 10g that has had mystery occupants lol.