Pod Your Reef

Dpolt's Dream Reef -Rimless 75 Triton Method

dpoltsdsu

8-1-17 Update

I haven't had an update in a while so here is a quick rundown of things.

Fish- All of the fish are doing very well right now and I am very happy with the selection I have.  There's a good variety of behavior, color, and movement in the aquarium.  I have not seen any sign of disease in a long time.

Inverts- All of the inverts are also doing well.  I do not have anything too crazy in there but the cleaner shrimp and assorted snails, conches, and crabs are all happy and healthy.

Coral- The last month and a half has been up and down.  The Southern California heat wrecked havoc upon the tank and bleached and killed a couple of corals including a purple Acropora and my large Neon Green Birdsnest colony.  The tank had gotten up to 86 after staying at 79 almost all of last year. I bought a tank fan that has solved the issue, but the damage was already done.  To make matters worse, I have come across Montipora Eating Nudibranchs in the system.  They spread fast and they were deadly.  They knocked off my Montipora Digitata and some of the Setosa.  I have evacuated and quarantined all remaining Montipora and they will stay out of this system for a couple of months.  Hopefully they will starve off and/or get picked off by my Leopard Wrasse.

In the meantime, my parameters are looking good so I will soon be adding more Seriatopora, Acropora, Stylophora, and Poccilopora to fill out the the top sections of the reef.  The LPS and Soft Corals have almost completely filled in the middle and bottom of the tank and were unaffected by the heat issues of last month!

Ill post some pictures soon

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

The reef is doing well.  The fan I installed has alleviated the heat issues so that is now a thing of the past. 

I have decided to run the Triton Method on this tank in order to get very stable water parameters.  To do this, I had to make a couple of changes to the system. I upgraded my pump so that there is more turnover in the sump; I adjusted my skimmer to run a bit more wet; and I purchased a Kessil H80 Tuna refugium light to better grow Cheato in my large back chamber refugium.

The supplies came in today so I'm excited to get this started!  I am adjusting my water to get my Alk at 8 so I can officially start the system.  I also did a 50 gallon water change with natural saltwater to get parameters in line with natural saltwater (which is the basis of the Triton Method).

I will be purchasing some Acropora frags later in the week to start rebuilding my SPS portion of the reef!

• Like 2

Nice! looking forward to seeing your results!  I have my reservations about Triton and am still skeptical.  While they can test for minerals and major, minor, and trace elements (some of them), I am unsure what would happen with the eventual buildup of organics in the water.

2 hours ago, Travis said:

Nice! looking forward to seeing your results!  I have my reservations about Triton and am still skeptical.  While they can test for minerals and major, minor, and trace elements (some of them), I am unsure what would happen with the eventual buildup of organics in the water.

It'll be really interesting that's for sure.  I will be sure to update this thread with the results I get, good or bad.  

My alk hit 8 yesterday so I started my first dose. To start, im doing a 5.5 ml dose per bottle for the tank and Ill see where the parameters are at in a couple days.

The corals all look good this morning and the couple of Acro frags I have look good.

• Like 1

I'm quite happy with the Triton Method so far. 

I purchased some Acropora frags and the polyp extension and color has been good so far. 

It will take a couple of months to form my opinion on the method, but so far so good.

20170830_123231.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well unfortunately I have to take this tank down as I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment complex with no elevator and this thing is just too large to care for.  I will be transferring everything in this tank to my new Cadlights 42 Gallon Versa system! I have some high hopes for the new tank! 

Link to new build

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/386147-dpolts-42-gallon-cadlights-mixed-reef/?tab=comments#comment-5579675