Top Shelf Aquatics

Dpolt's Dream Reef -Rimless 75 Triton Method

dpoltsdsu

I picked up an awesome looking Gonaistrea Coral.  I don't see a lot of these so I purchased it in the hopes it would make a good centerpiece for the right side of my reef. I'm going to place it on an overhanging rock and hopefully the coral gets larger and takes up a big portion of the area!

Here is a top view of the coral

kY0VIU1.jpg

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, dpoltsdsu said:

I picked up an awesome looking Gonaistrea Coral.  I don't see a lot of these so I purchased it in the hopes it would make a good centerpiece for the right side of my reef. I'm going to place it on an overhanging rock and hopefully the coral gets larger and takes up a big portion of the area!

Here is a top view of the coral

kY0VIU1.jpg

Oooooh, that is GORGEOUS!!!!

• Like 1

The frag tank is already finishing up its cycle after about 5 days! It was quick since I used some established live rock.  I'm going to wait until my fish are out of quarantine and then I will add the filter and heater from the QT tank into the frag tank after I put the equipment into a vinegar bath

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Nice!!

So the fish that are in QT will staff the Frag Tank?

The fish that are in Qt will staff the 75 gallon and I will likely get one fish for the frag tank to help with pests. I'm thinking a 6 line wrasse at the moment!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Gorgeous tank!!!  Glad to hear the fish got through the ich and move ok :) You have some really nice grown out coral, I hope mine get that big someday!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, dpoltsdsu said:

The fish that are in Qt will staff the 75 gallon and I will likely get one fish for the frag tank to help with pests. I'm thinking a 6 line wrasse at the moment!

6 line Wrasse sounds like a good call!!

I've used a Yellow Coris like that in the past with good success, but I think they need a sandbed to sleep in, which most frag tanks don't have. 

• Like 1

Finally got around to taking a couple of pictures of the reef with my phone.  A lot of the corals you see at the bottom will be going in the frag tank so the sand should be uncluttered soon.  I did have some Cyano that has popped up but a lot of it seems to be going away.  The reef seems to be doing well as I am getting good growth and colors from most of the coral in the tank!

Screenshot_20170315-141939.png

Screenshot_20170315-141944.png

• Like 8
On 3/13/2017 at 7:56 PM, fishfreak0114 said:

Gorgeous tank!!!  Glad to hear the fish got through the ich and move ok :) You have some really nice grown out coral, I hope mine get that big someday!

Thank you! I appreciate it. I love the look of grown out colonies. I think they make a tank look more like a natural reef

• Like 3

So the frag tank completed its short cycle at the end of last week and I have put in some hardy corals like Xenia and Kenya Tree Coral to see how they do.

Since this tank is in view, I want to make it somewhat natural looking. I have always loved the look of Mangroves so I am planning on making a rock island in the middle of the tank, lowering the water level, and planting some Red Mangroves on the top island. I am then going to get some magnetic rock frag racks and put those on the sides of the tank for the more difficult corals. If I do it properly, I think it can become a pretty unique frag tank.

Here it is as of now. There's just some rocks, a couple easy corals, and 2 open brain corals on the sandbed that I am attempting to rehabilitate from a friends tank. 

20170321_124624.jpg

• Like 4

In non-reef news..

Southern California is currently experiencing a huge wild flower bloom from all the rain we have had. 

The trails behind where I live are incredible right now 

Screenshot_20170323-084955.png

• Like 6

Those flowers are beautiful! So nice to hear you guys had too much rain for a change. I really like the ideas you have for the frag tank, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out :)

• Like 1
23 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Those flowers are beautiful! So nice to hear you guys had too much rain for a change. I really like the ideas you have for the frag tank, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out :)

It was probably the most rain I have seen here over a 3 month period. We sude did need it though!!

• Like 1
cowabunga-reefer
On 10/15/2016 at 8:19 PM, dpoltsdsu said:

My little Acropora colony with a bunch of Clove Polyps at its base.

YAsiuSw.jpg

Do you know the name of this acro? I have one in my tank but the color of yours is much deeper purple and bright green. Very  nice ? 

On 3/23/2017 at 11:55 AM, dpoltsdsu said:

In non-reef news..

Southern California is currently experiencing a huge wild flower bloom from all the rain we have had. 

The trails behind where I live are incredible right now 

Screenshot_20170323-084955.png

Oh how I miss Southern California. Don't ever make the mistake I did and move

• Like 1
23 hours ago, The-Grim-Reefer said:

Do you know the name of this acro? I have one in my tank but the color of yours is much deeper purple and bright green. Very  nice ? 

Oh how I miss Southern California. Don't ever make the mistake I did and move

Thanks! Hopefully I dont ever have to move out of this beautiful state

Its a Purple Valida Acro!

• Like 1

My 3+ year old Blue Legged Hermit Crab decided to make its home out of an old Turbo Snail shell that has some Kenya Tree Coral growing on it. It makes for a pretty unique hermit crab shell now.

Screenshot_20170330-090748.png

• Like 6

As I plan on adding some bigger fish soon, I knew that I would have to upgrade the filtration as I'm only running carbon and GFO at the moment.  The older the

So the hunt for a Protein Skimmer had begun!

Most of the skimmers that are rated for my tank size have large footprints and I needed one that would fit in the back chambers of my all-in-one.  After extensive research, I have decided to purchase an SC-301 Skimmer for the reef! It should get here today or tomorrow so I will be giving some updates on the installation!

• Like 2

Well...... I finally did it.  After 4 years in the hobby, I have finally purchased a Mandarin.  In order to give the fish the best care I can, I will be culturing Tisbe Copepods and attempting to train it to eat Nutramar OVA. I am going to put him in today so he can begin eating the current pod population in the tank.  There are a ton of pods in the system already as I do not have wrasses or any other fish that consistently eat pods.

My goal was to buy a medium sized fish Mandarin that wasn't too skinny at the time of purchase. I believe I was able to find what I was looking for. 

So without further ado, meet the newest member of the reef!

vbi82CD.jpg

• Like 6