Coral Vue Hydros

A problem I see with newbies

RayWhisperer

My favorite is the new hobbyist that cycles a tank with bio-pellets, GFO, carbon, skimmer all running together. Then freaks out when diatoms appear.

My other favorite (not) is the complaint on how often you have to clean the glass and because it is done daily, there must be a need for a reactor of some sort, or maybe I should do more frequent water changes or stop feeding the fish.

I half gave up with Glass cleaning :rolleyes: I Scrape every few days or so. Got a CUC from Reef Cleaners and the snails, well slow, but are doing a half way decent job. Except for the couple odd balls that like to climb into the back chambers :rolleyes: Snails!

• Like 3

I think this thread is great.

I never attempted any of the "upgraded" equipment for a few reasons.

1 being the confusion of them/the problems that come with them(often used as bandaids to problems like chemi clean is)

2 i think they are great marketing ploys and entice ppl to buy whats not really needed

3 i feel more involved by doing things hands on

I too don't consider it a chore to work on my tank.

• Like 1

It seems like I always have some ChemiClean on hand. The key to using it is to know what caused the cyano, to manually remove it, and solve the cause of the problem first; and only then, treat your tank to wipe it out. If I was opposed to using all chemicals, I couldn't make saltwater. But I agree, ChemiClean is overused, misused, and over relied upon.

JakeJekel37

This is the method I live by with my FW tanks. It can't be overstated enough. Been keeping them for decades with minimal effort because of keeping it simple.

My one foray into SW/Reef (which was briefly documented here about 4 years ago) was also very simple, except for the fact that I was trying to do it in a 0.9 gallon cube. Was definitely too small for a first timer. The evaporation was too difficult for me to deal with in such a small volume (probably could've benefited from an ATO instead of trying to rely on daily manual top offs).

I'm getting ready to start my 2nd tank. Still planning it out. Will be either a standard 5.5 or 10 gallon softie tank with just the basics; rock, sand, HOB, light, heater and circulation pump.

I like this post. Straightforward and helpful. Fancy equipment is fun to play with but I've always stuck with the KISS method and nor only had it saved me buckets of money, I feel it's just makes things easier overall. Will my dream tank have an ATO, auto dosing, and easy water change plumbing? YES! Am I going to get any of that stuff anytime soon? Unless I win the lottery, no.

finally got my first auto top off for my 75 gallon and it is great, one day I will have a dosing system. one step at a time.

RayWhisperer

No polishing. I never thought about it being stickied. I don't think it should be. How many sticky threads just get glossed right over? I almost never read them. This is a flash thread. It started hot, now it's fading, and that's fine. So long as a few new members take a step back and decide to learn about the goings on in their tanks.

• Like 4

I didn't read any of it, but I have a comment.

I rather newbs buy all of the expensive name brand equipment, so when they quit, I can buy it from them for really cheap.

(Just kidding. I read it and think its a wonderful post.)

• Like 1

Great post. Well thought out. Almost 12 years on the forum and just hit my twentieth post!

Ah crap... now you have to wait another year to post again. :mellow:

• Like 2
Marc.The.Shark

I don't think that all automation is bad. Out of necessity I've always had a controller. I'm gone from home for work for 7-11 days at a time for work occasionally & my apex lets me monitor my tank for issues. I also have a 14 day auto feeder that I use for flakes/pellets that I stick on when I leave for extended periods. I've had situations where my wife has called me & ive been able to correct some issues this way. I will try a doser on my new tank cause she can't be trusted to put the right thing in when I'm gone.....manicures are more important! Lol, who knew! If I didn't have a few of these things, I wouldn't be able to have a tank.

I think that Ray is referring to people thinking that these things and all the additives will make you successful & it's just not the case. People dump stuff in their tank cause someone else is doing it & have no clue. I'm guilty recently with trying the oxydator, but I still use it from time to time to dose a little peroxide. I understand what it does & what it can do for me. Glad that I'm not just starting my 1st tank in this day and age. It has to be confusing with the plethora of equipment/chemicals out there. I see a lot of for sale threads where the tank hasn't been set up for six months and they're selling it all cause it didn't work like they planned. It seems the new thing is to have a years old looking tank in a few months by throwing money at it. There are additives for everything. Have this..use this. Have that..use this. Pretty soon you have a toxic soup of who knows what in your tank & I'm no chemist! Lol

• Like 2
Kellie in CA

I'm just surprised that so many people are willing to put out so much money for these top-of-the-line first tanks just to "try out" the hobby. Start small and at least see if you like it first!

• Like 5

I'm just surprised that so many people are willing to put out so much money for these top-of-the-line first tanks just to "try out" the hobby. Start small and at least see if you like it first!

What? That sounds way too logical to be taken seriously.

• Like 4
Nano sapiens

Agreed. The thing is that many people do not realize that one can start (or continue indefinitely) with a simple tank system and have it do very well. So many horror stories and incorrect/inaccurate information floating around that fear of failure drives many to go over the top on their first tank.

• Like 1

But nobody oohhs and aahhs about the average run of the mill tank; so there's an incentive go over the top.

• Like 7

I wonder how many folks see a Marine tank for the 1st time and say "I Like that, it's Beautiful" and "I can do that" And not realize

That it is quite different from FW?

All I can think of for this generation, and sorry but, I guess I am old school, but, my feelings are, folks want "Instant gratification".

"All good things come to those who wait" Patience is the name of this game..but, that's just me.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Great write up and discussion! :)

So many people new to the hobby assume that if they get every single piece of equipment known to man they'll have the best tank ever. I know someone on my local forum who uses various equipment and doesn't even know what they do. They do no research of their own at all. And they post, confused why things are dying. Funny story, I went to their house when they were just starting out to help them with something and told them that they may want to move their GSP off the main rocks because of how quickly it spreads. They didn't believe me because I was 14. Fast forward a year and their post is "how to I remove GSP it took over my rock work!" :lol: figures.

I definitely went KISS on my tank, and I doubt I'll ever do it different. Doing things manually works well for me even though I'm only with my tank half of the time. It keeps me connected to it, and I often find myself wishing I had more to do. Equipment confuses me so much. I keep debating getting a skimmer but I don't think it's worth the money. Having limited money definitely helps too because I ask myself, "Do I want equipment or coral?" Pretty easy choice :P

• Like 1
RayWhisperer

Instant gratification is certainly a big part of it.

I set up a biocube at the lfs as a display, since nobody was buying them. Just did it as a favor to the owner. Used all his stock, nothing of my own. It was pretty basic. I just set it up how I would if it were mine. Took about a week to cycle it out (cured rock).

The day I put 2 o's some Xenia a zoa frag and some GSP in it, he sold it off the counter. I don't remember how much, but it was a hefty profit. That's how he ended up selling every one of them... Set up. Nobody wanted to do it themselves.

Instant gratification is certainly a big part of it.

I set up a biocube at the lfs as a display, since nobody was buying them. Just did it as a favor to the owner. Used all his stock, nothing of my own. It was pretty basic. I just set it up how I would if it were mine. Took about a week to cycle it out (cured rock).

The day I put 2 o's some Xenia a zoa frag and some GSP in it, he sold it off the counter. I don't remember how much, but it was a hefty profit. That's how he ended up selling every one of them... Set up. Nobody wanted to do it themselves.

Kind of Sad. But, Ray, u hit my point to a tee.