SaltCritters.com

A problem I see with newbies

RayWhisperer

RayWhisperer

That's why I relayed that story. To agree with you. I don't think that's really as bad as someone dropping loads of money on gadgets and snake oils without knowing anything, though.

Ther will always be people with more dollars than sense. They will always be divided, though. There will be the ones who want a cool tank, or living furniture, who don't want to deal with it. That's fine, pay someone, so you can brag about your tank. I think it's stupid, but at least they aren't trying to do stupid shit. Then you have the ones who know better than everyone. They know they are doing it right because it cost them $1000, or they follow the directions, or the lfs said this is how it works.

Agreed. I have an All in One. I liked it because of it's simplicity. As time went by, I did learn how to remove the hood and added the AI Prime. The Hood has CFLs and I liked the "Pop" of color u can get from LEDs. TBH, I'd love to convert our 75g FW.

But, I can't afford the costs. Just too damn expensive for me, as I am a Disabled Vet on a fixed income. It would be nice, but I know my limits :( *Sigh*

I'd like ya to take a look at my Build thread, Ray.

I am happy with our little Tank.

I do test for Nitrates and because I know I am a "Heavy" feeder, I Dose the tank w/ 1 ML of NO3PO4-X (Nopox) and my Nitrates

are under 5, closer to 0. I also Dose Reef Fusion 1 & 2 every other day. I lost my Test Card(s) for Cal/Alk. I Take a sample of water to my lfs that I trust and have it tested at least once a week. I follow their advice, I also ask them questions regarding stuff I read here on the Forums.

I recently discovered an Aiptasia problem, I am not happy about it. I haven't added anything in a long while.

Anyways, I am going to try and see if I can get a Molly Miller Blenny. I might have to get 2 Peppermint Shrimps.

I want to try and go the natural route 1st. The Aiptasia are in the Zoas and at least 1 Big S.O.B in my Goniopora.

even with my current issues, I still enjoy our Tank.

mystersyster

My favorite is the new hobbyist that cycles a tank with bio-pellets, GFO, carbon, skimmer all running together. Then freaks out when diatoms appear.

My other favorite (not) is the complaint on how often you have to clean the glass and because it is done daily, there must be a need for a reactor of some sort, or maybe I should do more frequent water changes or stop feeding the fish.

Stop feeding the fish FTW.

• Like 2
RayWhisperer

Agreed. I have an All in One. I liked it because of it's simplicity. As time went by, I did learn how to remove the hood and added the AI Prime. The Hood has CFLs and I liked the "Pop" of color u can get from LEDs. TBH, I'd love to convert our 75g FW.

But, I can't afford the costs. Just too damn expensive for me, as I am a Disabled Vet on a fixed income. It would be nice, but I know my limits :( *Sigh*

I'd like ya to take a look at my Build thread, Ray.

I am happy with our little Tank.

As Nano said, that's all that matters.

Be happy to check it out.

What branch? And if you don't mind me asking, what happened?

Army and National Guard. 10 Guard 4 active. (14 in total) 1 Year Iraq, Went in Tail end of 1st wave. March 2003.

Came Home with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I'd Be glad if I could continue to serve, it was just too much.

My Anxiety that is. I would also Gladly do it all over again too.

I finished as a Sgt. E-5

I was a Truck Driving Medic. We were Based in Balad, Iraq. Half way Between Baghdad and Tikrit.

Yeah, I do enjoy the Tank. I look in on it many times during the day. :)

• Like 1
RayWhisperer

Thanks.

Army here, too. Though I'd say I was in the first wave in Iraq. Lol. ;) I got out in 2002.

My MOS was field artillery meteorological crewman. That's army talk for weather guy, for those who don't know.

• Like 2
RayWhisperer

I don't know where my brain was last night. I got out in 1992, not 2002. I added 10 years to my service without even being there! Now where's my pension, damnit?

Sorry bout the brain fart.

• Like 1

Seabass- you made a very good point. Ppl don't pay attention to the simpler tanks, they go crazy for the show stoppers.

Been on forums where those who had all the gadgets - their tanks were paid attention to, viewed and liked by many.

The simpler tanks which were as nice, very well maintained, just didn't get the hits/recognition as the others do.

Some ppl also imply in their advice that such and such equipmwnt is needed or will help fix a problem.

I believe for hectic schedules/travel, equipment is essential or the hobby is impossible to do.

• Like 3

Hi, I'm a newbie just 5 months in. Great advice thanks.

I did fall a little into the gadget thing, mp10qd, ato, mainly to make my life easier. Stock power head kept popping off glass and was very loud. And this summer Ive been topping off 8-9 litres water per week with evap and fan blowing to drop temp in my 94l Kent marine all in one, so I decided to get a goldfish tank for rodi and auto Aqua mini ato and be done with it.

What a difference, so much easier and more stable params than me hand topping up when I can. And you have to admit the mp10qd is a thing of awesomeness and wonder!

• Like 1

This thread isn't necessarily against automation or high tech. I think it's more about realizing what can be done without it and what it really buys you.

I bought an MP10 for a small tank, primarily for how small it was inside the tank (and no cord). However, I thought it would be more functional.

final_horiz.jpg

It is a nice powerhead, but due to the size of the tank, I had to have it turned all the way down (which cancels out the wave functions). A cheap Koralia powerhead would have performed the same function (and would have given me the option to direct the flow at an angle).

Maybe that's not a great example because a powerhead is common equipment. However, I also bought a kick ass calcium reactor (haven't unpacked it yet). IMO, this still isn't a good example because I know what it can do, how it works, and how it can affect my reef tank. However, my tank really isn't ready for it, and dosing two part solution can more easily produce similar results.

A better example (and maybe more at the heart of this thread) might be a newb dosing Purple Up in an attempt to get great coralline algae growth without knowing their levels. Or dosing B-Ionic based solely on the recommended dosage on the label, and not on test kits. Or reading that amino acids were the reason that someone's tank looks like it does, so it is enthusiastically added to the dosing routine. What...? Not seeing the same results...? Better start dosing iodine and feeding Reef-Roids. :unsure:

Now the clam, that was just added to the tank (which established its cycle a month ago), needs phytoplankton, and the coco worm needs food for filter feeders. And sure that's a lot of fish for that sized tank, but someone told me it should be fine, plus "I can always upgrade if I need to".

Enter plague cyano and hair algae. "My API phosphate kit always reads 0, so I stopped testing", or "My levels are perfect" (whatever that's supposed to mean), or "My phosphate level is 0.25, which isn't bad". Understanding phosphate's role in these blooms, how the blooms affect testing, as well as the importance of phosphate to zooxanthellae are all critical. And although you can't test for it, excess organics can play an even bigger part in these blooms.

We could go on and on with dosing carbon, trace elements, etc, but you get the point. I'm not bashing these products or the people who use them. "Most" of them have their place and can be successfully used. However, it is often harder for newbies to see subtle negative effects (not to mention knowing how to correct these effects). Things like keeping the bio-load light and water changes aren't sexy; but they are proven and can help beginners be successful.

• Like 5
Nano sapiens

Seabass- you made a very good point. Ppl don't pay attention to the simpler tanks, they go crazy for the show stoppers.

Been on forums where those who had all the gadgets - their tanks were paid attention to, viewed and liked by many.

The simpler tanks which were as nice, very well maintained, just didn't get the hits/recognition as the others do.

Some ppl also imply in their advice that such and such equipmwnt is needed or will help fix a problem.

I believe for hectic schedules/travel, equipment is essential or the hobby is impossible to do.

Good point about the typical large forums and their tendencies...

I have to commend Nano-reef for being the most balanced I've seen by giving TOTM honors to such a wide diversity of systems (not just those uber-complex systems that delight the equipment selling sponsors).

• Like 1

Yes, this is the only forum I go on now.

Everyone is respectful, helpful, and friendly.

We don't seem to have "bosses" - those ppl who think what they say is the only way.

• Like 4

I enjoy the quality of this Forum. Everything seems to stay on point.

I Like the way this forum is Layed out. IMO, very easy to navigate and very user friendly.

• Like 1
RayWhisperer

N-R has actually settled down quite a bit. Seabass can attest to its rowdy, rambunctious past. While many were scared away in the old days, most of those members were dedicated reefers who were very knowledgable. They just had a tendency to flame anyone, and everyone. If one could get past the flames, there was much to be learned.

However, I think the climate in the reefing industry has changed so much. Nano tanks are no longer fringe. Information is much easier to come by nowadays. Back when CM started this site, it was probably the only place you could et reliable advice.

• Like 4

I hear ya Ray. I was a Moderator on a Land Hermit Crab Forum. And yeah, Flames/Flaming can, sadly be part of it. And I agree, if u can get passed that, U can gleen information. People can get "Passionate" about things.

N-R has actually settled down quite a bit. Seabass can attest to its rowdy, rambunctious past. While many were scared away in the old days, most of those members were dedicated reefers who were very knowledgable. They just had a tendency to flame anyone, and everyone. If one could get past the flames, there was much to be learned.

Fun times, sometimes I miss those days.
  • Like 1

As a noob ill be big enough to admit that I'm a sucker for marketing! I see a nice looking advertisement on a box and I'm hooked!lol I bought a formalize bioactive skimmer for my ten gallon because people at my lfs said it was a must have so I bought one.in all honesty a good cleaning and water change once a week and it would be good without it,now I come on this forum and I get practical advice,and I've learned that not everyone that works at a lfs knows what their talking about.now I research EVERYTHING!

• Like 1