Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Rebuilding the Shallow Reef Tank Pt.2

tanacharison

tanacharison

All fish are swimming and seemed to have survived the move. No coral warfare overnight that I can tell but the tank is packed, if things look bad i'll move them into the cube but it's not looking its best. Did a 5g water change and added fresh carbon last night. This actually reminds me of how much I missed my bare bottom tank, such a clean look.  Hopefully all the fish adjust to the changes.  

• Like 3
tanacharison

5 water changes in 3 days...  Cleaned up the sump area and equipment in every tank including the freshwater. Time to clean out the fish closet and toss out old junk.. might have a few random things to sell. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a Ball Anemone. I have one too, they're really neat little hitchhikers! Is yours out during the day? Mine is only open at night. From my research, they're harmless.

• Like 1

After more research, it looks like it's either a Corynactis sp or Pseudocorynactis sp. The Pseudocorynactis can get pretty big, apparently, and might be a danger to fish. You should try spot-feeding it something and see what it does. Apparently the tentacles are very "sticky", which sounds fun. lol.

Here's a link to an article about them: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/10/inverts#section-4

• Like 2
6 hours ago, cobra2326 said:

After more research, it looks like it's either a Corynactis sp or Pseudocorynactis sp. The Pseudocorynactis can get pretty big, apparently, and might be a danger to fish. You should try spot-feeding it something and see what it does. Apparently the tentacles are very "sticky", which sounds fun. lol.

Here's a link to an article about them: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/10/inverts#section-4

Really cool! Thanks for the information. I only remember noticing them well around feeding time but according to the article that’s normal if you feed amino acids on a schedule. I need to look early in the morning on my next day off.

Christopher Marks
18 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

How can you dislike it when corals are mixed together and happy.

25059795517_0534f64b0b_z.jpg

Quite a unique agreement they have :lol: 

How cool! Did the polyps attach to the montipora or did the monti grow around the polyps?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Quite a unique agreement they have :lol: 

How cool! Did the polyps attach to the montipora or did the monti grow around the polyps?

I am guessing montipora grew around the polyps, but I am curious to hear the answer! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, HarryPotter said:

I am guessing montipora grew around the polyps, but I am curious to hear the answer! 

Now if only I can grow acros like you! 

I picked up a container of Reef Jerky from Avast Marine and so far I absolutely love it.  Probably the biggest range of size and content in each little scoop. It’s a little difficult to hydrate but the smaller fish go nuts. I’m going to experiment with some direct coral feedings.

3 hours ago, tanacharison said:

Spent way too much money at this Saturday’s Aqua SD live sale. First time buying from them... will post a ton of pics when they arrive. 

Ha ha that describes every time I've ever bought from them. I'm jealous, their corals are always fantastic. 

• Like 1

Well as @teenyreef said Aqua SD corals look great.. i'm a happy first time buyer. The colors are amazing and everything looks healthy. Thanks @AquaSD for the freebie and who doesn't like stickers :D 

Yes everything is still in a 20L.. ROFL

25416998307_698faf65cf_z.jpg

26415659298_9e75b1318a_z.jpg

New frags in cube.. lepto is for the pico tank.

39576863224_4b207b12c2_z.jpg

Look at the chalice grow!!!

39576881394_57edd64172_z.jpg

• Like 5

I picked up 3 test acros a few weeks ago when the montis started exploding. Came home today to 1 completely RTN and another is STN. :unsure: 3 weeks later and they decided to go.. oh well everything from aqua SD is still looking good. 

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, tanacharison said:

I picked up 3 test acros a few weeks ago when the montis started exploding. Came home today to 1 completely RTN and another is STN. :unsure: 3 weeks later and they decided to go.. oh well everything from aqua SD is still looking good. 

Sorry to hear that.  I am glad the aqua SD stuff is doing well.

Optimum water parameters from Aquaforest: Salinity:  33–35 ppt Ca: 410–440 ppm Mg: 1230–1320 ppm KH: 6.5–8,0 dKH K: 360–400 ppm

Red Sea Blue Bucket Salt, water change salt:          Salinity:  35 ppt Ca: 415–445 ppm Mg: 1240–1320 ppm KH: 7.5-8.5 dKH K: 375–405 ppm

Current levels using BRS 2 Part:                                                 35 ppt Ca: 375 ppm          Mg: 1200                     KH: 9.5        dKH K: N/A

I have some work to do...