Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chris's IM30 - Cheap camera experiment

--chris--

I forgot to plug in the ATO pump after doing maintenance Monday.  Woke up this morning to some splashing noises coming from the rear chamber, checked SG to find it at 1.026-1.027 and I normally keep it at 1.025.  

Happy humpday! 

Christopher Marks
2 hours ago, --chris-- said:

I forgot to plug in the ATO pump after doing maintenance Monday.  Woke up this morning to some splashing noises coming from the rear chamber, checked SG to find it at 1.026-1.027 and I normally keep it at 1.025.  

Happy humpday! 

Good catch! 😅

The little dark spot in my hand could be the beginning of the most epic "this big leather grew from this small spec..." stories ever or it will slime up and blow away tonight in the gentle flow from the return pump.

There is a plug with a scroll coral, then a plug with some kenya tree and finally what was sold to me as "grafted" red & green monti which is a bleached out red cap and a brown cap glued to the same plug.  

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
HookedOnAquariums
16 hours ago, --chris-- said:

The little dark spot in my hand could be the beginning of the most epic "this big leather grew from this small spec..." stories ever or it will slime up and blow away tonight in the gentle flow from the return pump.

There is a plug with a scroll coral, then a plug with some kenya tree and finally what was sold to me as "grafted" red & green monti which is a bleached out red cap and a brown cap glued to the same plug.  

giphy.gif

Its not amateur hour its called being scammed lol. I would fight someone if i got a coral like that. At least you got to meet someone else with a reef tank.

• Like 1

Side project:

i found a Miracles 36x24x18 rimless with low iron glass, beveled, built in overflow, 3 holes....for $180.

whats the catch?  The current owner tried to buff out several scratches and hazed up the glass real good.

the tank comes with one of those pro polishing kits.  

If you zoom in you can see the damage. 

What say ye forum members?  Is it beyond repair?  

when It’s filled with water the scratches kind of disappear....but not enough.

F58659E8-5EEA-4041-ACA5-EE6C12854119.png

8 minutes ago, --chris-- said:

Side project:

i found a Miracles 36x24x18 rimless with low iron glass, beveled, built in overflow, 3 holes....for $180.

whats the catch?  The current owner tried to buff out several scratches and hazed up the glass real good.

What a shame, but it would still make one hell of a frag tank!

HookedOnAquariums
1 hour ago, --chris-- said:

Side project:

You could show some picture to a local glass shop  and ask if and how you can fix it. My glass place around here is really helpful in those sorts of things and if you ever want to build a tank in the future you have a place to contact.

12 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

What a shame, but it would still make one hell of a frag tank!

11 hours ago, HookedOnAquariums said:

You could show some picture to a local glass shop  and ask if and how you can fix it. My glass place around here is really helpful in those sorts of things and if you ever want to build a tank in the future you have a place to contact.

I slept on it for a night, I’m passing on it if anyone here wants it let me know.  It’s been for sale for two months, he may take a lower price.

He ended up taking a price lower than I expected...so it became a no brainier.  For a $1500 tank from Miracles, I am very pleased 🙂

First, having never seen a miracles tank in person...wow!  The quality in craftsmanship and materials is unlike anything I have seen before.  The seems are uniform, clear and straight.  The joints are nearly perfect (see last image above, what is that...0.5mm difference in height?).  The attention to detail is...muah! Just beautiful. 

Seeing one in person makes me understand why someone would be willing to pay a premium price for these tanks.  They are worth it.  

• Like 1
HookedOnAquariums
2 minutes ago, --chris-- said:

He ended up taking a price lower than I expected...so it became a no brainier.  For a $1500 tank from Miracles, I am very pleased 🙂

First, having never seen a miracles tank in person...wow!  The quality in craftsmanship and materials is unlike anything I have seen before.  The seems are uniform, clear and straight.  The joints are nearly perfect (see last image above, what is that...0.5mm difference in height?).  The attention to detail is...muah! Just beautiful. 

Seeing one in person makes me understand why someone would be willing to pay a premium price for these tanks.  They are worth it.  

Heh Heh heh now you can send me your IM 30. Great pickup tho, It doesn't look like the scuffing is as bad as i assumed.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, --chris-- said:

He ended up taking a price lower than I expected...

I'm gonna hold you to this, the day you let it go, and I end up buying it from you....

how is the micro-scratch?

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

I'm gonna hold you to this, the day you let it go, and I end up buying it from you....

how is the micro-scratch?

It has a at least 3 scratches that I have found that drove the "restoration" process he started.  They are all about 1" long, unable to put a finger nail into them.  The swirl marks from the process he started, they look like 'it'll buff out'   <---- Says the guy who has no experience in this realm lol  We will see.  I plan on trying to "fix" the front panel first, then if I am able to do that, moving onto the side panel.  If I can't fix it, then I am sure I can get rid of it for the price I paid (1/10th original cost).  It came with most of the plumbing as well.  This thing is beautiful.  My wife might see it in the day light and finally agree to a larger tank on the main level of the house.  

14 minutes ago, --chris-- said:

It has a at least 3 scratches that I have found that drove the "restoration" process he started.  They are all about 1" long, unable to put a finger nail into them.  The swirl marks from the process he started, they look like 'it'll buff out'   <---- Says the guy who has no experience in this realm lol  We will see.  I plan on trying to "fix" the front panel first, then if I am able to do that, moving onto the side panel.  If I can't fix it, then I am sure I can get rid of it for the price I paid (1/10th original cost).  It came with most of the plumbing as well.  This thing is beautiful.  My wife might see it in the day light and finally agree to a larger tank on the main level of the house.  

Might I suggest testing your diy on side panels, at least it won’t be what you look at all the time, if it doesn’t go well first time around. 

Just now, micoastreefing said:

Might I suggest testing your diy on side panels, at least it won’t be what you look at all the time, if it doesn’t go well first time around. 

Says the guy hoping I don't screw it up so he can get a deal!  LOL

Thats probably the direction I should go with it.  Good idea.  

• Like 1

I’m on mobile, can’t arrange the pics... the last pic is the before the middle and first pic are after.

honestly it’s not 100% better, buts it is 70% better.  

HookedOnAquariums
2 hours ago, --chris-- said:

First pic is before, middle pic is after.   Last is all cleaned up.  I think I’m done.

36581B3F-0E0D-4AC6-870E-AC4D1464672C.jpeg

B06456ED-A34E-4C40-8550-D962731973CF.jpeg

2DA021D1-BE23-4708-9AE9-5900CC523F10.jpeg

I would wait in a 35 hour black Friday line to get that for the price you did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1