inTank Media Baskets

Chris's IM30 - Cheap camera experiment

--chris--

I have been "breaking in" my skimmer for a week today in a 5 gallon bucket with some dirty water from the last change.

Today at 2 PM i put the skimmer in the tank, we left about an hour later for dinner.

When we got back around 8 PM i found this...

5tx4s3.jpg

I had this skimmer in the tank for 2 months when it was newer and never had any skimmate. Guess it just needed some gunk to start working.

Edit: its sideways but guess what...its staying because im on mobile.

• Like 2

Nice! I've found nano skimmers really don't work well at all until there's actually something to skim in the tank.

Is the Kessil fan still loud? The fan on the A360WE I got last month was dead silent.

• Like 1

Yeah the kessill is still loud'sh. Its only noticiable during quiet parts of movies or TV but it still bugs me. It will be upgraded when it dies or next winter...whichever comes first.

That skimmer filled up this morning. Already dumped a cup and have another brewing.

Im also starting vodka and mb7, but wont be going for ULNS...just enough to control algae and feed more often.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Lets try this new mobile version of NR out...

My phone saves images in sizes that are too large, ill have to set this lower and try again later.

Anyways, i am up to 1.1 ml of vodka daily.  The skimmer has pulled 5 cups of dark brown liquid since i set it up again and the algae appears to be getting a lighter in color like it is dieing out...but could be too soon to tell.

• 2 weeks later...

We packed up and went to Pruess Pets yesterday morning to meet a fellow reefer to buy a pair of perc clowns.  The clowns look fantastic, especially for being only 4-5 months old.  He said he screwed up and one of them may be a "C" grade picasso because of mistake during rearing/fry transfer but I DON'T CARE.  They are big, healthy and not picking at each other.  Already 3x better than the last clowns I bought.

My son named them, but he didn't tell me which is which.  So one is Nemo and the other is Darwin (my son is 4).  

23sx3m1.jpg

2ymcfx1.jpg

And here is blenny, being blenny.  

2enxe2a.jpg

• Like 3

Today is day 4 of our power outage, looking at up to 7 to 8 days potentially.  Good thing I bought that new generator two years ago! 

Just some anecdotal info for anyone with a similar tank:

-On day 1 we lost power at 11 am, I was at work until about 5 PM.  When I got home the tank had dropped from 78.5 to 71 in about 6 hours.  It took another 6 hours to get it back up to 78.5

-On day 2 we sort of got power back, but it was dirty power (voltage fluctuated from 80-90 volt) so I threw the main and went back on the generator.  The low voltage condition did not appear to damage any of my equipment (which after researching it, shouldn't...it should only damage large motors like A/C, well pump, sump pump, fridge, etc...)

-Day 3 generator ran low on oil and shut off for an hour while I figured out what was going on, tank dropped from 78.5 to 76 in one hour

-Day 4: TODAY, maybe we will get power back?  Maybe not...no estimated restoration from the DTE and I know there are still 1/2 million people without power in the area. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, --chris-- said:

Today is day 4 of our power outage, looking at up to 7 to 8 days potentially.  Good thing I bought that new generator two years ago! 

Just some anecdotal info for anyone with a similar tank:

-On day 1 we lost power at 11 am, I was at work until about 5 PM.  When I got home the tank had dropped from 78.5 to 71 in about 6 hours.  It took another 6 hours to get it back up to 78.5

-On day 2 we sort of got power back, but it was dirty power (voltage fluctuated from 80-90 volt) so I threw the main and went back on the generator.  The low voltage condition did not appear to damage any of my equipment (which after researching it, shouldn't...it should only damage large motors like A/C, well pump, sump pump, fridge, etc...)

-Day 3 generator ran low on oil and shut off for an hour while I figured out what was going on, tank dropped from 78.5 to 76 in one hour

-Day 4: TODAY, maybe we will get power back?  Maybe not...no estimated restoration from the DTE and I know there are still 1/2 million people without power in the area. 

Whoa, makes me happy that we have a whole house generator in case we loose power for my new tank....I am glad your tank is ok bro.

Hey everyone thanks for the comments, aside from the noise and hassle of running a gasoline genny and not being able to do laundry or take hot showers its business as usualy here.

Today is day 5, midday.  No estimate from DTE on restoration but they said they have restored power to 90% of the 1 million that lost it.  I guess we all know where we fall in that break down.  It will probably be tomorrow or tuesday before we get power becaue we have 2 broken power poles and a few lines down still....and no power trucks in sight.

The fish are doing well, the tank is holding up great.   The algae issue is still trending down as well.  I skipped vodka dosing on the day we lost power as well as the day after since the skimmer was not running all the time at that point.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The clowns are doing the shimmy shake dance on a piece of rock beneath the green sin, so they must be happy.  The knight gobys disapered for a week and made a cave under the left side of the rock....they may have also been laying eggs but im not certain since i could not see anything.  

The only thing that has me worried is a 11 day trip i have planned for september.  I need to make some plans for someone to feed and dose vodka while we are gone.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

August FTS

I have been slacking on the pics and updates.   Almost no change, coraline is popping up everywhere and is growing.   

Shopping for a more intense light, maybe a better skimmer if I can find one that is guaranteed to be an upgrade.

20171023_143602.jpg

• 1 month later...

Lots of catching up to do...

The thank is doing well, but I had a algae bloom blow up about a month ago...I was very confused because none of my husbandry methods/habits changed.  No fish/coral died off, food intake was the same, skimmer was working well (maybe better than ever), vodka dosing is at 3.5 ml/day.  

I ended up testing the saltwater used for my water change, found .02-.03 phosphate!  I move on to testing my fresh (ro/di w/ TDS ~ 4) and boom, phosphate around .02-.03!

I ordered a second DI stage/canister from BRS, mounted it and got it plumbed.  Making water now and will be testing shortly to see if the Po4 is gone.  How frustrating!  My source water must have had something change because a TDS of 4 after RO/DI was ok until recently.  Might be a seasonal thing?  I don't remember this happening last winter though...

At any rate, changes to the tank:

Removed almost all the green sin

Added Xenia, rastas, green paly, AOGs, Poccilipora & Red cap

The Cardinal has vanished (right after the algae blew up), I am thinking it passed and the crab ate it...

The other fish are fat and healthy

I graduated from the Bachelors program I was in, I am so happy to be done with school.  It was grinding me down the last year (full time/year round, plus work).  

• Like 1