ReefCleaners.org

Bowen's IM Lagoon 25 - Update 01/05

Bowen1022

I'm just going to use AF probiotic reef salt it replaces all trace elements anyway and doing a five gallon water change a week I shouldn't have to dose anything. I will dose their bacteria though. But as far as AF 1,2,3 I don't think Ill need it and dosing those might cause a huge problem.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stop giving me hell Cherokee. Lol the tank is in a lull right now. Im dealing with algae and stuffs :/ Now I know to never order live rock... ever. And I need to learn how to cure rock properly I guess.

I feel for ya. I went with dry rock this time to try and avoid those issues and I didn't cure it. It is curing in the tank as it cycles. Might not be the best or preferred way but.

I know that curing in the tank is ok but you should run carbon and no light I think... Idk rock is a weird thing because if you dont cure then you get leachy phosphates and ehh but your tank looks good!

Bowen have you tried GFO for the algae. Ive heard it really does a number on ALK, but significantly reduces phosphates. I could run it reef hound as I don't have livestock right now and wouldn't have to worry about alk swings

Bowen have you tried GFO for the algae. Ive heard it really does a number on ALK, but significantly reduces phosphates. I could run it reef hound as I don't have livestock right now and wouldn't have to worry about alk swings

Yeah Im running AF Carbon, GFO, and Zeo in a Reactor and actually changing it out today so we will see.

As for the light thing its up to you lol.

Unfortunately I had one of my clowns go carpet surfing last night and it didnt make it :( Now I feel bad for my lonely guy

RIP Sebastian

Yeah Im running AF Carbon, GFO, and Zeo in a Reactor and actually changing it out today so we will see.

Unfortunately I had one of my clowns go carpet surfing last night and it didnt make it :( Now I feel bad for my lonely guy

*gal

Oh no Dude that sucks man sorry to hear about that.

Oh no Dude that sucks man sorry to hear about that.

Its ok. First time it has happened but nothing I can do about it now. Hopefully I can get a screen top before the other one bails.

Upppdate... Disregard any algae. All corals are doing well. My PC Rainbow is a little pale so I am going to move it down for a few days and hopefully it colors up again.

FTS

IMG_3340_zpskm4gkhgx.jpg

Random

IMG_3341_zpsf075djuq.jpg

IMG_3342_zpsy4x8woqf.jpg

Encrusting

IMG_3345_zps9icysoas.jpg

Mille

IMG_3344_zpstwxn0uft.jpg

Favorite

IMG_3343_zpssgbp2fvt.jpg

Wow, things are going great! Did the algae just go away on its own?

No I took out some of the rocks and did some H2O2 treatment. I hope it works but I have no idea. It turned the algae white but I also H2O2 Dipped another rock a few months ago and a lot of the algae was back. Im just not quite sure why.

It really sucks too because my nutrients are low and I feel like Im starving my corals but the algaes are taking it all up

Hey Buddy check this thread out. Don't know if you have heard about it. Vibrant Aquarium Cleaner.

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner-discussion-thread.271428/

Ive looked at it... Multiple times lol. Im just not quite sold on it. I want to try it but a lot of the more "scientific" people I know on Reef2Reef (Twillard, Randy Holmes-Farley) dont really say much about it. I know people have shared success stories about it and what not. I think if Teeny finally has really significant success with it, Ill try it. For now Im trying to stick to good husbandry which is something I have been struggling with anyway so its good to work on.

Ive looked at it... Multiple times lol. Im just not quite sold on it. I want to try it but a lot of the more "scientific" people I know on Reef2Reef (Twillard, Randy Holmes-Farley) dont really say much about it. I know people have shared success stories about it and what not. I think if Teeny finally has really significant success with it, Ill try it. For now Im trying to stick to good husbandry which is something I have been struggling with anyway so its good to work on.

I'd recommend it as a relatively cheap ($20) option to try that is unlikely to hurt anything, when you've already tried everything else.

I agree that if you have tank husbandry issues you should fix those first and give it a little time before trying an additive.

So far I've seen great results on diatoms, but my hair algae is still an issue nearly a month after starting.

I'd recommend it as a relatively cheap ($20) option to try that is unlikely to hurt anything, when you've already tried everything else.

I agree that if you have tank husbandry issues you should fix those first and give it a little time before trying an additive.

So far I've seen great results on diatoms, but my hair algae is still an issue nearly a month after starting.

Good to know!

For some reason any carbon dosing I do leads to this brownish algae on the sand bed. I have no idea if it is diatoms or spirulina. Im pretty sure its not cyano because it doesnt grow in mats just more of a thicker dusting. Its annoying because it is such an eye sore.

Good to know!

For some reason any carbon dosing I do leads to this brownish algae on the sand bed. I have no idea if it is diatoms or spirulina. Im pretty sure its not cyano because it doesnt grow in mats just more of a thicker dusting. Its annoying because it is such an eye sore.

Sounds like what I had in my 40g. For what it's worth, Vibrant eliminated it overnight and it stays clean for close to a week on one dose.

But I have no idea if you have the same thing, or if it would work the same in your tank.

Sounds like what I had in my 40g. For what it's worth, Vibrant eliminated it overnight and it stays clean for close to a week on one dose.

But I have no idea if you have the same thing, or if it would work the same in your tank.

Were you carbon dosing in the 40? If you were did you continue while dosing vibrant? Might have to give it a whirl

Teeny what is your dosing regiment for the hair algae. Would really like to hear any observations you have as far as any condition,change of the appearance of the algae or if you're noticing anything.

Upppdate... Disregard any algae. All corals are doing well. My PC Rainbow is a little pale so I am going to move it down for a few days and hopefully it colors up again.

FTS

IMG_3340_zpskm4gkhgx.jpg

Random

IMG_3341_zpsf075djuq.jpg

IMG_3342_zpsy4x8woqf.jpg

Encrusting

IMG_3345_zps9icysoas.jpg

Mille

IMG_3344_zpstwxn0uft.jpg

Favorite

IMG_3343_zpssgbp2fvt.jpg

Man I think the tank looks great. I hope you get everything straightened out that's bothering you.

Were you carbon dosing in the 40? If you were did you continue while dosing vibrant? Might have to give it a whirl

Yes to both. I'm dosing NoPox at a fairly low level.

Teeny what is your dosing regiment for the hair algae. Would really like to hear any observations you have as far as any condition,change of the appearance of the algae or if you're noticing anything.

Man I think the tank looks great. I hope you get everything straightened out that's bothering you.

I've been posting status and progress pics in my 10g thread. I'm dosing 1ml twice a week. It hasn't been a miracle cure but the growth has definitely slowed down

Archived