Top Shelf Aquatics

Bowen's IM Lagoon 25 - Update 01/05

Bowen1022

Sorry to hear about the nuisance algae brother. Hope you get it taken care of.

Thanks man I think it'll clear up.

Did a 4g Water change and tested params

Calcium: 470ppm

Alkalinity: 8.0dKH

Nitrate: 1ppm

Phosphate: <0.03ppm (I think around 0.02)

Also took some photos

Top Down

IMG_3084%201_zps2gyjrxc6.jpg

Corals Coloring Up

IMG_3097_zpscteybpjs.jpg

IMG_3098_zps8qgfe7ag.jpg

IMG_3066_zpshzgocrwx.jpg

Hammer Grew 2 Heads Recently

IMG_3067_zpsqtzmkbln.jpg

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Struggling with some cyano on the sand and some hair like algae strands. I dont know what caused them as my nutrients are pretty low. Really struggling with reefing in general but hopefully I can regain the motivation soon. One thing that is keeping me going is how well Ive been able to color up these SPS pieces

IMG_3110_zps0t2tcb9y.jpg

shorten the "day", dim the lights a little

I've had to result to

chemiclean....works if you follow the directions exactly

I now dose API quickstart with water changes.. no issues for a long, long time

Unsure if it is cyano or Dino's.... has bubbles on it but they don't form strings like normal Dino photos. Anyways performing a 2 day black out and chemi clean treatment to see if I can kick this to the curb any tips?

just follow directions EXACTLY and it will be fine

I changed out my filter floss constantly and blew everything off with a baster..

get all the sluff off out of the tank

I took the cup off my skimmer for air.. and added an airstone in the main tank

I have a clam and plenty of inverts.. no loss

I also shortened my light cycle, got rid of the red lights, and dose API quick start with my weekly WC

no issues and it's been months now

just follow directions EXACTLY and it will be fine

I changed out my filter floss constantly and blew everything off with a baster..

get all the sluff off out of the tank

I took the cup off my skimmer for air.. and added an airstone in the main tank

I have a clam and plenty of inverts.. no loss

I also shortened my light cycle, got rid of the red lights, and dose API quick start with my weekly WC

no issues and it's been months now

I cut off lights completely for a few days while I am away from the tank. I took out about half the sand too over the course of this week. Hopefully when I get back on Sunday it will all be good. I have the Aquaforest Bacteria products so I will be dosing those.

Thanks teeny. The blackout went well as there wasnt anything on the sandbed when I returned. Although I am seeing some slight hints of it coming back... I am really wondering what it is now.

Thanks teeny. The blackout went well as there wasnt anything on the sandbed when I returned. Although I am seeing some slight hints of it coming back... I am really wondering what it is now.

You may have to do the blackout a few more times to get all of it. Just stick with the basics, keeping bacteria up, parameters on target, regular water changes, etc.

You may have to do the blackout a few more times to get all of it. Just stick with the basics, keeping bacteria up, parameters on target, regular water changes, etc.

I will thanks for the tips and motivation. I have been really struggling with reefing in general lately I just haven't seen any improvements. But I'm finally getting a fish this weekend. Maybe I will actually be able to keep this one alive

Finally got some fish for the Lagoon. Two mated mocha clownfish. Love these guys

IMG_3186_zpsakept6bx.jpg

IMG_3185_zps9xap7krs.jpg

Also went back to the basics and am just dosing Calcium, Alk, and Magnesium as well as running GFO and Carbon and dosing bacteria.

Finally got some fish for the Lagoon. Two mated mocha clownfish. Love these guys

IMG_3186_zpsakept6bx.jpg

IMG_3185_zps9xap7krs.jpg

Also went back to the basics and am just dosing Calcium, Alk, and Magnesium as well as running GFO and Carbon and dosing bacteria.

I loved my mochas. I always say "I think I'm done with clownfish" but they're just so pretty. The reality is I'll probably never have tank without clowns. lol

I loved my mochas. I always say "I think I'm done with clownfish" but they're just so pretty. The reality is I'll probably never have tank without clowns. lol

I didnt want clowns that much lol but nano tanks dont allow for much else. And I saw these and they were awesome

shouldn't need to dose anything unless you aren't doing water changes.. I change 4 gallons a week and only dose quick start.

I also have a maxima in the tank that is doing very well, and has been

I also just run carbon/ gfo.. but noticed I run less GFO when using quick start.

I also feed very, very heavy.. including phyto 3 times daily

Nice clowns! And everybody has them because they're such great fish :)

I have NO clowns (in the tank)

just a few chained up in the basement

Nice clowns! And everybody has them because they're such great fish :)

Thanks Teeny!

shouldn't need to dose anything unless you aren't doing water changes.. I change 4 gallons a week and only dose quick start.

I also have a maxima in the tank that is doing very well, and has been

I also just run carbon/ gfo.. but noticed I run less GFO when using quick start.

I also feed very, very heavy.. including phyto 3 times daily

I have NO clowns (in the tank)

just a few chained up in the basement

Oh my gosh the clown thing is getting ridiculous. I am going to remove the Zeomix from the reactor and hopefully everything will level out.

Beautiful clowns and great looking tank! I really like your aquascape :)

Thank you hinnenkm

NewbReefer316

Looking good, I've been thinking about dumping AF as well. Ran into my second torch that came down with brown jelly in the tank. Don't have issues with it in any of my other tanks :(

I was looking into the one by polyp labs and possibly starting to dose that as well as aminos like acro power and call it good. I do about a 5 gallon change every week or two so I may just skip dosing all together.

i don't dose, and do 4G change every week with no issues

i also feed heavily

I think that the biggest thing is to do everything consistently and on schedule..

the tank expects it and will adjust IMO

Looking good, I've been thinking about dumping AF as well. Ran into my second torch that came down with brown jelly in the tank. Don't have issues with it in any of my other tanks :(

I was looking into the one by polyp labs and possibly starting to dose that as well as aminos like acro power and call it good. I do about a 5 gallon change every week or two so I may just skip dosing all together.

The thing that sucks is its wasted money now lol. Didnt you but ZeoVit supplies too?

it all looks way too complicated.. i really don't have the time i put into my tank, i don't know how some of you do it. i need to keep things the least complicated.

i don't really clean my glass every day, my tank runs a little cruddy, my sand has algae. i haven't tested my tank in so long i don't know where the kit is...

i don't siphon the sand, i just pull water from the midway of the tank at WC

but, it's been a long time since I lost a fish, and my corals look happy. I've had a few losses, battled slime, but not for a long time..

there is a point where simple (with good equipment) means a better tank..

don't get me wrong, my tank won't be listed in the monthly reef profiles.. but it's to a low maintenance point where I can actually enjoy it

finally

just don't get discouraged.. make adjustments slowly and let the tank react to changes

Archived