Innovative Marine Aquariums

Teenyreef's IM40 Not-So-Teeny Tank - August FTS

teenyreef

2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Man, I can't go even three days without scraping the algae, I can't imagine what I would do after three weeks. I'd need a bulldozer :lol:

Haha, yup, definitely going to need the metal blade on the Tunze care magnet when I get around to it. I've got coralline growing on the glass now...

• Like 1

As of today, the tank has gone one month without a water change. Per the ATI Elements method, I ran carbon for about a week at the beginning of the month, so I'm due to run some for another week now. I'm dosing a drop of PhosphateRx avery three or four days, which has kept phosphates around .02 so far. Nitrates were up to about 10 when I checked last week, and I'll recheck tonight. I increased the NoPox dosing level starting last week to try and keep nitrates from going up much more. 

I've notice some increased algae growth in shadier spots. It's probably due to the higher nitrates but could also be something that got imported on a frag plug. I'm going to keep an eye on the levels and see if the algae starts to get worse. 

Other than that, I think things are going well. Corals are growing and colors are improving. I uploaded a whole bunch of new pictures to Flickr - here are a few previews:

War coral (favites) that I got at the reef show last month:

20171101-untitled-016-Edit.jpg

Reverse Superman Montipora:

20171101-untitled-011-Edit-2.jpg

Aussie Candlelight and Jason Fox Brain Freeze montipora. The candelight is getting brighter and brighter, and is even starting to look a tiny bit yellow, although it doesn't really look that way in the picture.

20171101-untitled-019-Edit.jpg

• Like 10
On 10/30/2017 at 2:32 AM, Felicia said:

Wow!  This tank never ceases to amaze me!  So many colors all packed in there!  Its too many things to look at and appreciate!  That huge plate coral was really catching my eye in the latest photos.  The purple green color combo is lovely, and it just looks so happy with its tentacles out in the photos!  I also absolutely love your acan garden!  I love how you've gotten them to grow together so nicely!  I love the different colors all blended together.  Also, that big green leather in the back left corner is awesome!  What is it?

Your dogs are so beautiful and little Murphy is just adorable!  I love the dogs' costumes and your costume theme!  Looks like a ton of fun!

Thanks, Felicia! The plate coral is one of my favorites. The leather in the back corner is a blue kenya tree that I got from @drgibby. It doesn't grow as fast as the regular kenya tree, and doesn't make unsolicited babies.

On 10/30/2017 at 4:10 AM, RollaJase said:

Haha, yup, definitely going to need the metal blade on the Tunze care magnet when I get around to it. I've got coralline growing on the glass now...

Yeah, I've pretty much given up on using anything other than the metal blades on my scrapers. The algae I get is a green/red film algae that doesn't wipe off with a pad, it has to be scraped off. I have to scrape about every three days. If I don't, it's really visible on the fourth day.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Glad to see things are going good as usual. That JF monti is killer,so freaking bright !!! 

Thanks! I think it's going to be a real centerpiece as it grows out.

3 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

lol, the metal blade is taped to the manual that i never read =P.  do you keep your care magnet out of water till you need to use it then?  to avoid rusting

@RollaJase has the Tunze one, I have one on a long handle, and I have the Flipper. I keep the Flipper out of the tank just in case it rusts.

• Like 1

Here's a full shot of the blue kenya tree:

Blue Kenya Tree

And a partial shot of the plate. It's a Reefgen Project X Fungia. Also in this shot are the recordea yumas and the psammacora. And a some acans :)

RG Project X Fungia, Ricordea, and Psammocora

• Like 7
9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks, Felicia! The plate coral is one of my favorites. The leather in the back corner is a blue kenya tree that I got from @drgibby. It doesn't grow as fast as the regular kenya tree, and doesn't make unsolicited babies.

That blue kenya tree is a lovely color!  I got a bright green one from Pacific East Aquaculture, but I like the more teal-blue color of this one!  Really nice variety of kenya tree.

2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Blue Kenya Tree

And a partial shot of the plate. It's a Reefgen Project X Fungia. Also in this shot are the recordea yumas and the psammacora. And a some acans :)

Beautiful photos!  That plate and kenya tree are just stunning! :wub:

• Like 1
On 11/2/2017 at 5:07 PM, teenyreef said:

Yeah, I've pretty much given up on using anything other than the metal blades on my scrapers. The algae I get is a green/red film algae that doesn't wipe off with a pad, it has to be scraped off. I have to scrape about every three days. If I don't, it's really visible on the fourth day.

I wish I could take credit for that Kenya teeny but it didn’t come from me.... it sure is pretty 

• Like 1
On 11/5/2017 at 9:22 AM, markalot said:

I've got a lot of catching up to do, and obviously I like the SPS pics, but that blue Kenya tree is awesome!  :)

Thanks Mark! Hope you are well (I have a lot of catching up to do too!)

On 11/5/2017 at 10:38 AM, debbeach13 said:

I just love, love, Love that kenya tree! If you ever want to sell a frag. I am so interested. 

It really is a beautiful coral. I have a frag that's growing out in the 30g frag tank. It's probably big enough to cut off a piece. I'll let you know when it's grown out enough!

• Like 1
On 11/2/2017 at 11:58 PM, teenyreef said:

Blue Kenya Tree

Such a beautiful kenya tree!  I think I've lost my little white one.

On 11/4/2017 at 8:19 PM, drgibby said:

I wish I could take credit for that Kenya teeny but it didn’t come from me.... it sure is pretty 

But you can take credit for my favorite wintergreen pipe organ! :happy:

On 11/5/2017 at 10:38 AM, debbeach13 said:

I just love, love, Love that kenya tree! If you ever want to sell a frag. I am so interested. 

I'm with her lol.

• Like 2

I had so much catching up to do on your tank, (and other life events).  This tank is looking amazing, which I knew it would.  I loved how your family celebrated Halloween!  What fun!  And your dogs are adorable whether they are at the beach or in your arms sleeping.  It felt good reading about such good and happy things amidst our troubled world.  Way to go teeny.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, teenyreef said:

It really is a beautiful coral. I have a frag that's growing out in the 30g frag tank. It's probably big enough to cut off a piece. I'll let you know when it's grown out enough!

I would be so excited. 

• Like 1

I've been meaning to post a few more pictures from last week - but things got busy at work again! Here we go...

WWC Yellow Tips - I have one good branch going now. I think once it starts growing up, the tips should get yellow.

WWC Yellow Tips

The Oregon Tort is recovering from the top part dying off. Now it's concentrating on encrusting which is a good thing. It's also not very blue, which is not a good thing.

Oregon Tort

The blue tenuis I got at the coral show has lost the yellow tip highlights (there seems to be a theme here with no yellow in my corals). But it's still healthy.

Blue Tenuis

• Like 5
19 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

That yellow tips is very interesting and that tenuis is BLUE,wow !! 

16 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Such a beautiful kenya tree!  I think I've lost my little white one.

But you can take credit for my favorite wintergreen pipe organ! :happy:

I'm with her lol.

Ha ha, maybe I should start an adoption list like for the Katropora ;)

14 hours ago, vlangel said:

I had so much catching up to do on your tank, (and other life events).  This tank is looking amazing, which I knew it would.  I loved how your family celebrated Halloween!  What fun!  And your dogs are adorable whether they are at the beach or in your arms sleeping.  It felt good reading about such good and happy things amidst our troubled world.  Way to go teeny.

Thanks Dawn! I need to go catch up with your thread - I hope you are doing well :)

13 hours ago, rog2961 said:

nice

Thank you!

12 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I would be so excited. 

I'll let you know :)

• Haha 1
On 10/27/2017 at 10:50 PM, teenyreef said:

Acan garden:

Acan Garden

Holy moly...now that is a might fine grouping of luscious Acans...and quite an exceptional plate coral, too!  :) 

1 hour ago, Rene said:

They may not be the color you have hoped for, but your photography skills under the nanobox are on point. Seeing the colors you were able to get helped sell me!

Wow, that's awesome! Is it going over your nps pico? And thank you :)