Innovative Marine Aquariums

Drew's 5.5 gallon pico reef [BackFromTheDead]

dferrari13

If you don't want macro in your display, take out all the Caulerpa asap

I don't mind macros at all...actually they are very beautiful to me....but if it's going to negatively effect the tank/corals or spread uncontrollably..then maybe I should remove it... anymore feed back would be appreciated

20160117_182624_zpsrl9uqjvu.jpg

Oddly enough..this tank is located in my bathroom and it's doing great so far...it's been up and running for a little over 7 months now...so far so good..it's my second small reef tank...my other is a nuvo fusion 10 gallon reef setup

20160117_182604_zpsl4mbgxh5.jpg

Wheeler goby

Just wondering do you just watch this while taking a dump?

• Like 2

I'd definitely remove it where it's touching the corals, or remove the whole thing and move it to where it has space to grow. Not only would it physically choke the coral, but plants have a knack for giving off chemicals that prevent other organisms from growing around them. Separating them gives the water column a chance to dilute that, and carbon or water changes will help remove it.

• Like 1

I don't mind macros at all...actually they are very beautiful to me....but if it's going to negatively effect the tank/corals or spread uncontrollably..then maybe I should remove it... anymore feed back would be appreciated

Racemosa has a very thick succulent looking runner. I have found it incredibly easy to remove.

Thanks so much for the invite but I'm having some people over at my place in jersey friday night...midtown bars are awesome though

There is always next time. Maria and I are in Jersey too.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the key to my success with this pico reef is really being anal about it....I'm constantly on top of things..checking things...and religiously doing 20% water changes every sunday.....and I dont mix my saltwater, I use premixed "nutri-sea" saltwater (a little expensive but worth it)...which makes water changes extremely easy and consistent

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me why my corals might be losing color like this.... they are almost turning a little pale but sort of neon looking...its really weird....and nothing has changed ( equipment, water parameters, stocking)

Before:

20161128_174138_zpsz0tjbv5n.png

After:

20161128_174027_zpsumwe8hgy.png

Before:

20161128_174938_zpsq2l6voly.png

After:

20161128_175033_zpskf1alb2o.jpg

Like I said it's strange because nothing has changed....my lighting schedule is the same, my water changes have been on time, water parameters are excellent, no new inhabitants..... it almost seems like they're kind of bleaching

'Water parameters are excellent'

That sounds like everything's at 0, right? This'll cause bleaching if light is high enough. You want phosphates and nitrates to exist, and you want to feed them regularly. Food gives them the carbon they need, along with nutrients, and then you want phosphates at least at .03ppm, nitrates around 1-5ppm at the least.

If those nutrients are that low, you don't want alk to be too high, or to swing up during a water change - this'll cause alk burn, too.

Good luck! :)

• Like 1
  • dferrari13 changed the title to Drew's 5.5 gallon pico reef [BackFromTheDead]