inTank Media Baskets

RIP Sebastian's Nuvo 30L Build- Future Goals/Plans!

RIP Sebastian

RIP Sebastian

My 2 clowns don't even get close enough to let it host, to even see if it's a possibility. I even put up a blown up picture and it didn't work.

That was me up until about five days ago. :)

Also, new page!

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

Well, unbeknownst to me, my mom bought two acans from Austin Aqua Farms. They're pretty, I just hope they do well. Will upload pics later.

• Like 2
RIP Sebastian

Acan 1:

1481147637106-853629869_zpsczdban9h.jpg

Acan 2:

1481147673810-1767828251_zpsbl4j1nwt.jpg

Sorry for my crummy photography skills. Here's a better picture of Jesse in her nem:1481147768058554422930_zpsdfhp9cvs.jpg

Also, found these:

1481147768058554422930_zpsdfhp9cvs.jpg

I'm a bit of a snoop, and I found out that they're 2 Floss holders and an Apex Salinity modules I don't think my mom realized it needed a brain unit. Ah, well, it's the thought that counts.

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 5
RIP Sebastian

That's nice of her!

Yeah! It is. She loves all of the tanks. My current FW tank was hers. She bought in 1989-before she even met my dad!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
RIP Sebastian

Love acans, they grow fast and look awesome nice come up!

Thanks! I hope these acans do well. I fed one a shrimp yesterday-that was fun to watch! "Nice come up"- is that a typo? I'm not very "hip" if that's a new saying, sorry. XD Either way, thanks!

So I'd like to make weekly updates a thing. All classes for me were canceled today since our feeder schools were declaring delays and it was only a half day for us anyway. I'm officially on break!

My macros have been going bezerk and growing like nuts. I really need to trim the grape caluerpa! It has easily doubled or tripled in size! All the fish are good. One of the gobies seems to have lost a pectoral fin somehow, but he's scootin' around just fine. I'm planning on gluing the GSP to the false wall because Fidel (the mean, murderous hermit crab my dad named) likes to use the front of the tank as a walkway and the gobies like to sit in it, too. The snake polyps are almost always open. The rainbow acan is doing good, the purple one, not so much. I'm going to move him near the rainbow one today. Also, here is a post in a thread I made. I'll copy it here so you can answer it here. I will (hopefully) post pics sometime today/this weekend.

Hello there everyone,

For those of you who don't know, I have a Nuvo 30L that is slightly under a year old and is lit by a Nanobox Quad.

I have made previous posts in other forums about my parameters, and they have been steadily improving. Here they are as of today:

Cal:390 (it's a little low)

Alk: 10.9 (high, but better than the 13 it was at. It's stable there, too)

Mag:1600 (high)

The reason for the slightly unbalanced parameters is that I have been doing more water changes than usual due to a minor cyano issue that has since been resolved. They should be back to normal within two weeks.

Other than clowns, one of the reasons I was drawn to this hobby was clams. I've been doing a lot of research as of late and was having a hard time finding some definitive answers to some of my questions. I know many of you have been incredibly successful with clams, so I figured that I would ask you guys.

1. What clam do you recommend starting with? I've heard Deresas are a good place to start, but, in my opinion, they aren't very pretty.

2. Where do you have yours in your tank? I know that different clams like different things to attach to. Where do you place your Maximas? Higher or lower on the rock?

3. How much of an impact on your parameters did adding a clam have (cal, alk, mag wise)? I've been working on getting my params stable and probably won't add one until they are-this is wise, no? Or am I over-thinking this?

4. Have any of you bought and raised clams less than three inches? If so, how hard is it to feed them and how often do you? The majority of the ones my LFS has are less than three inches.

5. What is your experience with GFO and clams?

Thanks and Happy Holidays,

Nick

• Like 2

Hi Nick,

I am happy to hear that your macro algae is taking off. That is a good sign that your water probably has enough nutrients in it to help feed a clam. I had a crocea clam before I downsized to just a seahorse tank. They say that it is not a good beginner clam but I had it probably 3 years before I sold it. I did have it up high in my tank about 12" from my T5 fixture. It was about 2 and a half inches when I got it. It was close to 6" when I sold it. I occasionally squirted some phytofeast for it but I did not feed it much, once a week if that. I stopped feeding it when it got to be 3". Clams rely more on the light source when they get over 3" and croceas need more light than other clams. I chose a crocea because they grow slower and stay smaller than other clams. I believe I used GFO with the clam.

When you choose a clam look under the mantle and hopefully the last growth ring will be white. That means the clam has been still growing recently. The other thing is pass your hand and arm over the clam but under the light. A healthy clam should temporarily close up and then open up fairly soon.

RIP Sebastian

Hi Nick,

I am happy to hear that your macro algae is taking off. That is a good sign that your water probably has enough nutrients in it to help feed a clam. I had a crocea clam before I downsized to just a seahorse tank. They say that it is not a good beginner clam but I had it probably 3 years before I sold it. I did have it up high in my tank about 12" from my T5 fixture. It was about 2 and a half inches when I got it. It was close to 6" when I sold it. I occasionally squirted some phytofeast for it but I did not feed it much, once a week if that. I stopped feeding it when it got to be 3". Clams rely more on the light source when they get over 3" and croceas need more light than other clams. I chose a crocea because they grow slower and stay smaller than other clams. I believe I used GFO with the clam.

When you choose a clam look under the mantle and hopefully the last growth ring will be white. That means the clam has been still growing recently. The other thing is pass your hand and arm over the clam but under the light. A healthy clam should temporarily close up and then open up fairly soon.

Thanks Dawn! I was considering crocea, but Adam only carries Deresa and Maxima. Leaning towards maxima because fidel likes to run through the the front of the tank and close everything up. Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

Thanks Dawn! I was considering crocea, but Adam only carries Deresa and Maxima. Leaning towards maxima because fidel likes to run through the the front of the tank and close everything up. Thanks for the info!

Adam did have 1 crocea because that is where I sold mine, ha ha! I think a Maxima is a good choice.

Oh yeah, the coral you gave me are doing great! Thank you again.

RIP Sebastian

Adam did have 1 crocea because that is where I sold mine, ha ha! I think a Maxima is a good choice.

Oh yeah, the coral you gave me are doing great! Thank you again.

Glad to hear they are doing well! If you want more, let me know. :)

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

Well,I trimmed my macros because they've been growing like wild fire. I put them in a bag along with a few softie frags and Fidel. I took them to my LFS. Adam, the owner, was ecstatic and traded me for a neon green wall hammer that had an unmarked price- he said he was going to sell it for $85! I also brought home my frogspawn and micro hammer he HD been golding for me, as well as a photosynthetic gorg. Pics to come!

• Like 2
RIP Sebastian

Really nice trade!!

Right??! I can't believe it! A wall hammer has been on my list for a while and wouldn't you know it, one pops up locally!

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

Well, here is the photo update. On a side not, I've decided to use Instagram as a photo storage source because Photobucket has been acting up. I also attached my GSP to the false wall in the hopes that it grows into a nice big mat.

Wait! I can't do that on android. Crap.

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

I would love to see an updated FTS!

I have it! I just have to get my butt in gear.

Waiting patiently...

Well, maybe not so patiently <_<

That's like me with Photobucket!

• Like 2
RIP Sebastian

Okee-dokee, folks! I got it working...somehow.

The Wall Hammer Has Adjusted Well:

2016-12-23_11.03.50_zps2wlyhmgw.jpg

As Has the Gorgonian:

2016-12-23_10.56.23_zpspfdfpj8u.jpg

And Finally, an Updated FTS:

2016-12-23_10.57.08_zpsgfqzde7f.jpg

I've also noticed some new heads on the Acans, which is exciting! The alk is dropping, too. I was thinking of adding a clam to aid in that process. Will it be okay with swings? I'm considering, when the time is right, about implementing the Red Sea Reef Care Program. All the reviews I have seen speak highly of it and I like how everything is explained and the info is out in the open, unlike ZeoVit.

The anemones have been a little grumpy lately, hence their absence in the FTS. Ah, well, such is life.

Happy Holidays,

Nick

• Like 7