SaltCritters.com

RIP Sebastian's Nuvo 30L Build- Future Goals/Plans!

RIP Sebastian

RIP Sebastian

Headed out to the LFS, which I assumed was closed. My mother didn't see a notification that it was (she was using Google, not the Facebook). We went and, luckily, the owner was there and was nice enough to let us in. I got two Zoas (about 5-7 polyps each) and a colony of Snake Polyps. Will post pics when I get home and they open up!

Nick

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

Hey, way to go Nick. You were lucky the owner was there when you went, how fortuitous.

Thanks! There were two other people who pulled p after us and were allowed in.

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

Hi all! Here are the pics, as promised:

Zoas (IDs Needed):

14800905719611136711586_zpstyessmwl.jpg

1480090625892-953297906_zpsjibhvhsb.jpg

Snake Polyps:

1480090610598-1743263652_zpsndspfd3j.jpg

Also, this happened:

Capture_zps5tbmjczc.png

If you can ID those Zoas, that'd be great!

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 4
RIP Sebastian

Can't help you on those zoa ids, but those rfas are sweet!!

Thanks! Sandy and Ramiro have been great. Sandy actually sent me a photo of the three I picked out! Here it is:

5018070811_zpsgijympoc.jpg

• Like 4

im almost 100% the second zoas are scrambled eggs. and the first ones im fairly sure are mandarin orange zoas. if your mandarins open up they look epic i have a WWC morange and its sick.

RIP Sebastian

im almost 100% the second zoas are scrambled eggs. and the first ones im fairly sure are mandarin orange zoas. if your mandarins open up they look epic i have a WWC morange and its sick.

You appear to be correct! Thanks!

Beautiful coral Nick. I adore RFAs and the ones you are getting are really pretty.

Sorry, I can't help with any id's, I admit that I don't know my zoas at all.

Thanks, Dawn!

The RFAs won't be here until Wednesday, but they're so pretty. I'm willing to wait.

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

Quick Update! I ripped out most of the Xenia on the far left rock because it was shading some of my Palys, and is, you know, a weed. I put my Duncan up there and he is very happy. I also rearranged/trimmed some macros. I had a plug of Utter Chaos Palys that had grown on the bottom of the plug, so I cut off the bottom polyps and glued them to the top. So far so good! I also did a quick and small water change with the Red Sea blue bucket salt. Finger crossed!

Also, sorry if i don't reply fast today- I have to go march a parade.

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 2
RIP Sebastian

Yesterday I did my first water change (small, only two gallons) with the Red Sea Salt (blue bucket). I checked my params today and they are as follows:

Alk: 10.6

Cal:400

Mag: 1400

My Hammer looks a lot better than he has in the past. He is the only Euphyllia that hasn't taken a huge beating through this whole process. I'm thinking about doing a larger WC tomorrow to bring the Alk down a little more. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Nick

• Like 1

In general you want lower alkalinity if you have low nutrients, and vice versa. So it depends on your nitrates and phosphates. A lot of successful reefers here have had good luck with alk between 7 and 8.

But what's most important is keeping it stable and making changes slowly.

• Like 1

What teeny said! I think you should do something between this small WC and your normal one next time, then move on to normal ones.

Still can't believe your old salt. Wow.

RIP Sebastian

What teeny said! I think you should do something between this small WC and your normal one next time, then move on to normal ones.

Still can't believe your old salt. Wow.

In general you want lower alkalinity if you have low nutrients, and vice versa. So it depends on your nitrates and phosphates. A lot of successful reefers here have had good luck with alk between 7 and 8.

But what's most important is keeping it stable and making changes slowly.

So do a larger one less than my usual next week, or do something over this week? I haven't done changes to lower the alk, so I'm slightly worried about my nutrient levels.

So do a larger one less than my usual next week, or do something over this week? I haven't done changes to lower the alk, so I'm slightly worried about my nutrient levels.

Larger than 2 gallons, less than your usual. This is just in case your usual water change is going to be too sudden for the tank. Now that you know 2 gallons isn't too much, you can experiment with something higher. And as you make the water changes bigger, you'll get to your normal routine and all will be well again :)

Have you measured the nutrient levels? You can replace carbon or GFO-type media to hold you over until things are back to normal, if needed :)

RIP Sebastian

Larger than 2 gallons, less than your usual. This is just in case your usual water change is going to be too sudden for the tank. Now that you know 2 gallons isn't too much, you can experiment with something higher. And as you make the water changes bigger, you'll get to your normal routine and all will be well again :)

Have you measured the nutrient levels? You can replace carbon or GFO-type media to hold you over until things are back to normal, if needed :)

I've been dosing Prime intermittently and replaced my Carbon/GFO today. Everything seems good. I'll work on that WC soon :)

• Like 2
RIP Sebastian

Good news!

Got Corals does ship today! The RFAs and Rics will arrive before I get home tomorrow! Maybe I'll ask if I can get picked up......

• Like 3
RIP Sebastian

Well, they should open more once they've relaxed some. They usually turn out to be like 1/4- 1/2" larger.

Yeah, they sure are! Let them purge like you told me two. They gobbled up the shrimp I gave them today!

• Like 1