ReefCleaners.org

Hijacked - RTF's RFA Nuvo 8

righttirefire

righttirefire

Like I said to harry. If they are low load, and you multiply it by 10... it's a larger load. I appreciate your reassurance.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
righttirefire

Tonight 7 pm

20151219_191122_zpsjjkqe6t0.jpg

Today 9am

20151219_085406_zpsx85vp9ob.jpg

Still sky hi ammonia and nitrites, nitrates are rising... I'm going to let it roll. Test tomorrow around noon. That'll be 48 hours. Thinking scrub the rocks again, 100% water change and add 0.5ml ammonia. Test and let it ride... I want to get my ammonia readable. But I'm not overly concerned with hi ammonia in a bucket. I have two 10w heaters in the bucket and not temp gauge. But I know it's warm. Maybe remove 1.heater also

righttirefire

I couldn't handle the ammonia/ammonium(Seachem's orime)

100% water change. Rock scrub. Played with scape... can't find it. But it'll have a nice base for the pistol to make a home, and cave, overhang and 2 peaks... so the RFAS have plenty of options.

Nh3:

Right side - control base API reading - 0ppm

Left side - 0.5ml nh3 added API reading - who the #### cares? 1ppm?

20151219_201721_zpsnnddt2ht.jpg

Control measurement:

Nitrites (blue) API reading - 0 ppm

Nitrates (yellow) API reading - 0 ppm

20151219_202828_zpsmmjvw1lj.jpg

Let the count down timer begin! 8pm

righttirefire

Only one putting out a heavy bio load is Harry as he is full of shit.......

I like Harry... full of shit or not, he's always good for laugh.

righttirefire

20151220_094058_zpsnf9c9rvu.jpg

12 hour check-in

Ammonia still reading, nitrites reading, didn't test nitrates...

It's been a while since I've cycled rock. I forgot how much "fun" it is. And the demon is participating in testing. So that's nice...

righttirefire

20151220_190823_zpstckqxvdb.jpg

22 hour update.

Ammonia still reading strong

Nitrites still reading strong

Nitrates are reading

Not overly suprised by results. There are seasoned rocks with bacteria, but obviously not the amount required to had the ammonia load.

Continuing observation/testing

Recap:

5 gallon bucket

2 gallons 1.025 saltwater

0.5ml Ammonia

4 drops Seachem's Prime

5# of "uncured" live rock

2 cured live rocks about 2#

10w heater

Small pump

righttirefire

That was the plan. But I have my concerns about adding "new" rock.

So are you taking out the rock that is currently in the nuvo and replacing it with this rock you are cycling?

I like the overall current scape, but (1) it has some big nasty bristleworms I can't seem to evict, haven't tried a trap. (2) has coral on frag plug sandwichs. (3) has most the zoa colony matted onto the rock.

So... I had intended to re-scape, but wanted to make sure everything settled in the tank before a major switch and planned on using ReefCleaners rock, but with this recent rock flower shipment. The time line spend up, so as much as I want to.change it, I don't want to crash my system...

I did remove the RFA once during the tank move. I can't remember why... oh it was on a rock that wasn't staying in the system so I had to detach the RFA which wasn't a great experience. So I'm not sure I want to detach 11 RFAS...

righttirefire

Front view

20151221_193749_zpsqxerqbhf.jpg

Left side

20151221_193754_zpsdsbwzvol.jpg

Right side

20151221_193817_zpsvvah5397.jpg

You'll notice the sheet of paper that's roughly 4" narrower than the tank and 3" shorter front to back. So my fat hands can clean the glass

Why are you testing hourly? :o

That would be dumb... I'm testing daily... maybe 12 hours if I'm home. But I take a base line after water change to varify low level ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates...

righttirefire

I haven't either, but the nitrates won't go away by themselves. And my theory is the bacteria is still alive, I'm still feeding it, so the only harm is the bacteria than consumes nitrites... it's an experiment

Why not just let it be for a week and cycle? I never heard of all these 100% water changes with ammonia and the bacteria stuff.

It was almost a waste of time. One person at rare reef misses the note to hold until Jan 7th, I got shipping notification today. Lucky I got it at lunch and stopped it before I had to take tomorrow off

righttirefire

You know all these water changes and testing is for a bucket of rocks in the garage right? That will go into tank for the new aquascape right?

I was home long enough tonight to.shower and leave. But hopefully soon. We'll be.home.again test again 100% water change and retest.

righttirefire

20151223_214739_zpsrghunumm.jpg

Sorry jack... Spectra here you go. The pre water change test. The ammonia is gone, but nitrites and Nitrates are outta this work. 100% water change and toothbrush treatment. Something cam apart tonight. It was a soft tube. And looked very porous inside. Kind of sponge like. I don't know it's gone now.

2 gallons fresh saltwater preheated, 0.2ml ammonia, and let's get this party started!

20151223_225712_zps7sbc6jhs.jpg

A little side note, you can see the first vial on the left is the dosed test, ammonia. The next three are fresh saltwater, pre-dosing. They were left to set for about 30 minutes. You can see the ammonia started to get hazy, cloudy, change colors... that why you need to get your reading quickly with ammonia... it will change to the darker side. Not really more green, just muddier

righttirefire

Looking good. 14 hours in and the ammonia is 0, the nitrites are still up and converting to nitrates quickly... so looking promising!

20151224_111116_zpsupdha05i.jpg

Archived