inTank Media Baskets

Hijacked - RTF's RFA Nuvo 8

righttirefire

The little hi-fin got after mysis last night. Big mouth for a little fish. Huge appetite too, ate 3 frozen mysis. I'm hoping it shared with the pistol.

I've seen my Yasha take a mysis, turn around and spit it into their burrow for the shrimp, then turn right back around and take anther mysis. They do seem to look after their shrimp buddies. :)

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
righttirefire

That wasn't the case tonight... well maybe the shrimp seemed "aggressive" toward the goby, but ended up with mysis. Than got its own and fought a monster bristleworm for it... and lost.

Maybe the rocks need a coral dip to rid myself of these bristleworms... there is a huge population of them.

The hi-fin took a mysis it couldn't eat... took 15 minutes to get it all in its mouth, not convinced it won't choke to death.

This is the last I see of my tanks until Sunday lights up... but I fully trust amber to take care of them in my absence. However I was more comfortable leaving the for 7 days with no tank sitter...

• 2 weeks later...
righttirefire

My RFA just holds the food... I've never seen it try to eat it. It aggressively grabs the food, but never seen it curl and eat it like my BTAS do... the crab is a mean motor scooter. It has to be feed before the RFA or it attacks until it gets the food.

There is a lot of competition for food in that tank. Bristleworms, nassarius snail, and candy cane all fight for top of the food chain.

The crab and goby are king of the food chain

Weird. Some of my RFAs are more eager eaters than others, but they will all pucker up their mouth and curl their tentacles in whenever I give them food.

righttirefire

20151205_154552_zpslnnt9mf2.jpg

No significant changes, but as you can see the drawer is stained and installed. It holds all my test equipment, as planned.

Pistol is happy and eating mysis. May try and get the tank changed to flakes/pellets.

Goby eats like 5 mysis a feeding and picks out "stuff" from the water column.

Aviator, I'm going to text you! Hope all is well.

Anne and Cleo are fine. Anne is walking, I think it's the spin stream and mj900 pump. "She'll" settle in soon.

• 2 weeks later...
righttirefire

Well, everything is keeping on. No changes, but a bug change is in the works.

Harry got me drooling over rare reef RFA 10 pack. So this will become my new species tank.

I will be doing away with this scape. It'll go into the 20 sump. The rocks in the sump will be scaped for nuvo. Let everything settle. I'm entertaining the thought of adding another porcelain crab, sexy shrimp, and of course leaving my shrimp goby pair in here

righttirefire

20151216_192125_zpsbgjjfkq2.jpg

So scape are impossible to photograph. This is 2 base rocks. Should give the shrimp and goby enough space to make a home. The top 2 rocks make a plateau and shelf and sharp peak.

20151216_192346_zps6jm48slq.jpg

Same 2 base rocks but switched the top rocks. All my other "rock" is coral skeleton and as nice as the pieces are they don't work in my mind. They look like a pile of rocks...

Open to suggestions

I like the top scape and think that will work better for the RFAs. You could maybe even get away with a little less rock, though this way with the overhang they have their choice of partially shading themselves if they so desire. While I have a few RFAs who like to perch themselves on the highest part of the rock, the majority of my RFAs keep to the bottom half of the rocks or in the sandbed. Therefore I don't think you need a super tall scape.

righttirefire

Well. I got 4 "new" live rocks, scrubbed, and cycling in a bucket with 2 seasoned rocks out of my 20 sump. I had the most wonderful scape at the LFS... once home couldn't figure out what I had. It seemed stupid simple like that's the only way the rocks could fit together... now nothing.

Only thing to do is hurry and wait

I had the most wonderful scape at the LFS... once home couldn't figure out what I had. It seemed stupid simple like that's the only way the rocks could fit together... now nothing.

I feel you pain! It is always like this.

righttirefire

So I'm having serious second thoughts about rescaping the nuvo.

I got 5# of "uncured" live rock from my LFS yesterday. The rocks came from their supplier in L.A., but no other origin information was available.

I got the rocks home and brushed the shit out it! I don't brush my teeth that well. Knocking off all the lose shit. The little dead pieces of algea, mud/dirt.

The rocks were added to 2 gallons of "fresh" saltwater (5 gallon bucket) water along with 2 "seasoned" rocks out of my sump, a small power head and heater.

I added 2 ml of ammonia, which is way too much FYI! My assumption was it wasnt very concentrated and 2ml would be mostly water. I use api test kits for cycling. And this shit is GREEN! So high ammonia. Maybe 8ppm. Like I said too much. Maybe I'll go test nitrites

I did put in my BRS group buy a bottle of bio speria. To help the process, but the RFAs (10) will put a strong bioload in my tank. Nothing happens in a hurry

So the RFA may get sumped in the 20 until I'm comfortable making the transfer... slowly.

Thoughts?

righttirefire

20151219_085406_zpsx85vp9ob.jpg

So as of 9am, roughly 21 hours after dosing. Everything is registering. So that's promising. Ammonia and nitrites are sky high, and nitrates are registering... so maybe a water change this afternoon. And a couple drops of ammonia to keep feed that bacteria.

righttirefire

It's all relative, right? Less than 8 gallons of water. 1 RFA, 1 hi-fin goby, 1 porcelain crab, 1 candy cane pistol, assorted snails... I think that's a light load compared to added 10 RFA.

I could be wrong be even a small bioload multiplied 10 times could be a big load at once.

righttirefire

They still feed. The light provides the "little sons of bitchs" with energy, the RFA consumes the "little sons of bitchs" and they become energy for the RFA, that produces waste... Poop.

Or am I just an idiot. Thinking I'll get a manta ray next for the nuvo

Well. I got 4 "new" live rocks, scrubbed, and cycling in a bucket with 2 seasoned rocks out of my 20 sump. I had the most wonderful scape at the LFS... once home couldn't figure out what I had. It seemed stupid simple like that's the only way the rocks could fit together... now nothing.

Only thing to do is hurry and wait

oh I can't tell you how many times I set up the scape, loved it then couldn't figure out how to fit it back together. So frustrating.

yeah, I agree with Mirya. The RFAs don't put out a heavy bioload.

Archived