Pod Your Reef

Java's Artisan II 70 - Lots of Pics and Growth

JavaJacketOC

The going price for fat heads is $35/head

Good to know, I honestly haven't looked at them much, I may be able to swing a head or 2 if he's close to that price.

Is he selling any of that leather.....or just for display?

Glad you got some lighting figured out.

I assume he's going to sell it. He's got a few other leathers and some long poylp toadstool frags. He's only had it for about a week though and I didn't ask on price because I really just want a nice yellow fiji leather.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A LFS was having a "just because"s sale. Picked up a couple favia, an acan and a lobo for super cheap (like 5.00 and 10.00), no fancy names but nice looking. The lobo is a little under colored but I expect it will color up nicely. I think I remember when they initially got it, if it's the same it was a vivid green with orange mouths.

Pearly Iridescent Favia (Can't capture the correct color but very pretty)

gqatFyS.jpg?2

Acan Bowerbanki (Very red, color in pic doesn't do it justice)

YFWnBK3.jpg?2

Where's the rest of the haul?

You asking for pictures?...kidding

I couldn't get a good shot of the other favia and the lobo is just meh right now, I only got it because I'm pretty sure it has really good potential...and it was only 5.00.

These aren't really accurate colors but you get the idea.

doI1kec.jpg?2

Also, I may or may not have have picked up a terminal phase male McKoskers flasher in hope that the initial phase male I have is 1) A McKoskers and 2) Reverts back to female. The store I bought it from said it was a Carpenters but I haven't seen an actual Carpenters in a while, most are McKoskers.

Too tired to play video games tonight and need thoughts on pump placement,

I bought an RW-8 to replace my MP10 so I can sync it with my RW-4. Thoughts on placement? As of now I have them on opposing sides with the RW-8 closer to the back of the tank and the RW-4 about in the middle. So far it's a lot of water movement but I don't love having the pumps on the sides where I'm going to try and clean every day or two.

Possible placement options:

1. On the back wall hugging the overflow box pointing forward. I would think that I'd get good gyre from each of them but I'm a little concerned about the amount of water movement from the RW-8, don't want any sand storms. Might have to aim it up at the water surface.
  2. On the back towards the sides of the tank and angle them to criss-cross through the middle of the tank (might make the fish JUMP, JUMP. If you get that, you're old).
  3. Leave them on opposing sides of the tank with the RW-8 running across the back and the Rw-4 running closer to the middle/front.

Thoughts?

P.S. The McCoskers is eating flake food practically out of my hand but I can't get the SOB to even look at pellets,

That lobo is going to be sweet, Java! And I like your other scores as well.

And yeah, I must be old because I get the reference in #2 above :)

I don't know about placement so much. Right now, I have my mp40 on the back wall and it is creating some nice indirect flow.

You asking for pictures?...kidding

:lol: ZING! Although Jack has been providing photos lately. I don't even know what the hell to think of that :)

That lobo is going to be sweet, Java! And I like your other scores as well.

And yeah, I must be old because I get the reference in #2 above :)

I don't know about placement so much. Right now, I have my mp40 on the back wall and it is creating some nice indirect flow.

:lol: ZING! Although Jack has been providing photos lately. I don't even know what the hell to think of that :)

IKR.

I got the ReefBreeders fixture today an set all of the 48 light points, however the cord on these is only 6 feet. Makes no sense to have a 6 foot cord on something like this but whatever. Gonna hit HD today and pick up an extension cord and some Velcro to mount all the controllers on the inside of the stand.

I have a question. So everyone mounts controllers on the inside of their stand. I'm paranoid to do this because of the moisture/humidity the sump causes. Any nervousness about that? I mounted mine to the outside of the stand/cabinet.

I have a question. So everyone mounts controllers on the inside of their stand. I'm paranoid to do this because of the moisture/humidity the sump causes. Any nervousness about that? I mounted mine to the outside of the stand/cabinet.

I am a little concerned about moisture so have been trying to decide if I just want to suck it up and have everything on the outside, still a little torn. I expected to have more room in the stand but the sump is so damn big there really isn't much extra room. I'm using a power center from NewEgg but I'm still contemplating switching to a DJ strip so I can mount it on the side of the sump with the least water turbulence. I don't think I'll have enough outlets with the DJ strip though :(

I put everything but the controller display inside the stand. I like the display on the outside so I can see it, not due to humidity concerns.

I would like to have the pump controllers on the outside in case I decide to use the night mode but I don't think I will use it.

I have a separate stand for the controllers or they are wall mounted.

I would like to do this but I can't find a cool table or stand or something that goes well in the area. I've been looking since the 18" cube was set up. Just didn't find anything I loved.

I am a little concerned about moisture so have been trying to decide if I just want to suck it up and have everything on the outside, still a little torn. I expected to have more room in the stand but the sump is so damn big there really isn't much extra room. I'm using a power center from NewEgg but I'm still contemplating switching to a DJ strip so I can mount it on the side of the sump with the least water turbulence. I don't think I'll have enough outlets with the DJ strip though :(

I would like to have the pump controllers on the outside in case I decide to use the night mode but I don't think I will use it.

I would like to do this but I can't find a cool table or stand or something that goes well in the area. I've been looking since the 18" cube was set up. Just didn't find anything I loved.

I used that crazy Scotch velcro stuff that isn't really velcro to mount the stuff to the stand this way if I decide to change stuff up, I don't have holes I put in the stand that I need to worry about covering up.

this stuff specifically:

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00347A8EO/ref=rr_xsim_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449860461&sr=0

I used that crazy Scotch velcro stuff that isn't really velcro to mount the stuff to the stand this way if I decide to change stuff up, I don't have holes I put in the stand that I need to worry about covering up.

this stuff specifically:

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00347A8EO/ref=rr_xsim_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449860461&sr=0

I've been looking at a version of this from Home Depot. I thought about using it on the outside of the stand as well, just worried that it may ruin the finish (inside or out) if I decide to remove it at some point.

I've been looking at a version of this from Home Depot. I thought about using it on the outside of the stand as well, just worried that it may ruin the finish (inside or out) if I decide to remove it at some point.

It's pretty sticky. I'm thinking as long as you don't yank it off but more carefully scrape it off, it would be fine. But I don't know! The first time I used these I used them in the car for the EZ Pass on the windshields. But it says you can use them to mount stuff to walls, etc. and shouldn't ruin paint blah blah blah blah

It's pretty sticky. I'm thinking as long as you don't yank it off but more carefully scrape it off, it would be fine. But I don't know! The first time I used these I used them in the car for the EZ Pass on the windshields. But it says you can use them to mount stuff to walls, etc. and shouldn't ruin paint blah blah blah blah

I wonder........do you think you could GWYB with that stuff?

IKR.

I got the ReefBreeders fixture today an set all of the 48 light points, however the cord on these is only 6 feet. Makes no sense to have a 6 foot cord on something like this but whatever. Gonna hit HD today and pick up an extension cord and some Velcro to mount all the controllers on the inside of the stand.

I hate that cord! That's my only bitch about this OR light....same thing....I forgot about it until you mentioned it. How's the light look?

I hate that cord! That's my only bitch about this OR light....same thing....I forgot about it until you mentioned it. How's the light look?

So far so good. I programmed all of the time points for 30 min intervals with a 6 hours peak at like 65% and 60%. I'll ramp up to 80-90% over the next few weeks. I don't think I need to worry about bleaching since this light isn't insanely stronger than the razor but reviews say they're pretty intense.

Stella and I were just talking about the http://maggiemuffler.com/on my 18" because I was bitching about the waterfall sounds from the overflow and how it would be a nightmare to try and get a new standpipe, blah blah blah. But then I looked at Alex B's thread that Kat linked (which I decided not to even try and convert to) so I looked up the bulkhead sizing for a 1.5" drain and I think it would fit fine...I could have SCH40 this bitch a month ago.

I might do it so I can get another maggie muffler and silence this bitch.

The 16g is probably just fine.....Id just go a little heavier for the hell of it.

I just got the 16 gauge. The only one they had that was 14 was like 25 feet and the next shortest was a 12 gauge AC plug.

I'm already in love with this lighting. Don't judge my fallen over favia frag...I snapped a picture before I cleaned everything up.

9YXfGxi.jpg?2

Archived