Top Shelf Aquatics

TMR's Softie Lagoon update 7/29/18

Tmr8188

My order from Bluezoo Aquatics came in today. I got a Devil's Hand leather, Crown Leather, and a Fiji Yellow leather. Everything came in tip top shape and much bigger than I anticipated. I was very pleased. The only downside is that I am seriously out of room in this tank.

After adding 6 Berghia Nudibranches last week I have not seen a reduction in aiptasia and assumed they were dead, until I moved a frag plug and saw a damn near 3/4" Berghia. I was very relieved to see that little guy. I am hoping there are enough left alive to breed so I can get rid of aiptasia once and for all!

I am also still combating no nitrates and elevated phosphates. I have a film on the glass that I need to scrape daily and corals have started losing color. I pulled the purigen from the media basket and put in a mixture of carbon and phosguard. I also suspect silicates are leeching from ceramic rock so the phosguard should handle that as well.

As I said in an earlier post, I would like to add hopefully 2 more fish. I have a few fish in mind:

Gum Drop Coral Croucher (I shouldn't have anything small enough to be threatened by this guy)

Pink Streaked Wrasse (nice active fish that'll take care of pests, I don't want to add one until the aiptasia are eradicated)

Hifin Perchlet (I love these little guys)

Some type of basslet (thinking Royal Gramma, Black Cap, Yellow Assessor, or a Candy Basslet)

Some small gobys

I am leaning towards a Coral Croucher and either the Wrasse or Blackcap Basslet.

I also suspect silicates are leeching from ceramic rock so the phosguard should handle that as well.

What rock are you using? I've never seen it before.

Your sig pic is WAY too big man, cut that thing down to size :P

In my browser it was fine. I'll take it off.

What rock are you using? I've never seen it before.

Its Biotek Marine Ceramic rock.

Its Biotek Marine Ceramic rock.

That's what I thought after I did some searching last night. Thanks!

I found a piece that they offer that would fit my current tank perfectly. However, I can't locate any dealers. May I ask how you purchased your pieces? I emailed them to inquire, but I don't expect to hear back until after the weekend.

That's what I thought after I did some searching last night. Thanks!

I found a piece that they offer that would fit my current tank perfectly. However, I can't locate any dealers. May I ask how you purchased your pieces? I emailed them to inquire, but I don't expect to hear back until after the weekend.

I bought from Aquarium Specialty. Back when I was buying rock I sent them an email asking whether a certain piece was ever going to be restocked, they never responded.

I bought from Aquarium Specialty. Back when I was buying rock I sent them an email asking whether a certain piece was ever going to be restocked, they never responded.

Thanks for the information! I'll try to contact Aquarium Specialty as well.

Thanks for the information! I'll try to contact Aquarium Specialty as well.

Not a problem. They had a column rock that looked awesome but it never came back in stock.

Not a problem. They had a column rock that looked awesome but it never came back in stock.

Yeah, I really like their pillar structure. I'm really hoping that I can find one of these, but I can't seem to find them ANYWHERE.

I ordered a Santa Monica Drop .2 Algae scrubber today. Kinda wish I read the reviews about the other scrubbers before I ordered. Hopefully it does something.

I ordered another reefbrite the other day and it should be here later on this week. One looks awesome, two would be epic! I also have another Kryptonite shroom coming in the next few days as well.

I'll be starting some kalkwasser in the ato as well. My consumption is getting up there.

any recent pics? i used a peppermint shrimp for my aptasia and it worked perfect.

I am seeing some reduction in aptasia. Ill see how it is in a month before I add anything else to deal with it. I have some tidying up to do in the tank and I will have some new pics. I have a cultivated reef order coming in next week with a Beach Bum so I am pretty excited.

The Reefbrite and drop algae scrubber came in yesterday. Unfortunately I misplaced my torx bit to attach it to my fixture. I will have to grab one at the store tomorrow. I held it up to see what I would look like and it looks incredible. A second reefbrite adds a noticable blue hue and shimmer (even with all 4 bulbs on), and the pop is noticably enhanced.

An update on the aiptasia, I had some anemones on my clam and I woke up this morning to them gone! These little buggers are putting in work!

I did a water change and added a few tea spoons if kalk to the ato reservoir. Hopefully it helps out to stabilize the ph a bit. I have some sps losing color. I will have pics as soon as my cilultivated reef order comes in.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Alot to update, my aiptasia battle is over. The berghia ate every single one. I picked up a white banded possum wrasse and it died in qt 4 days later. I pulled the biopellets to deal with nutrient issues. Then my ato dumped the entire contents of kalk water. Had a massive bacterial bloom that killed my cleaner shrimp. Everything is back to normal now. I will be adding some sand and moving around corals. I will have pics when everything settles down.

A couple pics:

20160916_224603_zpshkoufiij.jpg

Jawbreaker getting some color

20160916_224449_zpsiylnnt7c.jpg

Blasto with a big bubble and babies growing@!

• 2 weeks later...

The drop off was initially going to be a macro tank but I decided against that. The current plan is a low tech planted tank with a pair of apistogrammas.

This tank is still around.  It'll be hitting it's 3rd birthday soon.  Hopefully I will have the motivation to keep the build thread updated.