Coral Vue Hydros

TMR's Softie Lagoon update 7/29/18

Tmr8188

Starting up a planted tank?

Yup, going to be an iwagumi with a hc carpet. Going to grow it emersed to start. I have a kessil a160 tuna sun that will be going on it.

So last week I sold/traded my stratosphes to a shop. Got a ton of frags and some cash. I have an order from kpaquatics and yourreef coming tomorrow. I am pretty excited. My kessil came in for the planted tank as well.

Gorgs and sponges are in.

20160714_160432_zpsxyxbtjgc.jpg

Its not that blue irl.

Digging the HDPE substrate. How do you like it? I'm thinking about going with that instead of sand. Have you found any issues with using it yet?

Digging the HDPE substrate. How do you like it? I'm thinking about going with that instead of sand. Have you found any issues with using it yet?

I like it. I have detris channels on the side so I can siphon it easily. There is an mp10 behind the big rock to stir up detris. Aside from looking a bit weird at first there weren't any issues.

I got a bucket of aquaforest reef salt 22kg. I am licking myself right now because I am really thinking of dropping the biopellets and skimmer and going full aquaforest. The acros are not doing well. I probably wont be replacing them and going montipora dominate instead.

I am licking myself right now

wish I could do that

the tank really looks good though.. I guess i'm wondering about the lack of surface area that sand provides.. but I've also wondered that about all bare bottom tanks

wish I could do that

the tank really looks good though.. I guess i'm wondering about the lack of surface area that sand provides.. but I've also wondered that about all bare bottom tanks

Im part cat.

The marinepure takes care of the surface area. I have been tempted to add a thin layer of sand though.

are the Helfrichi and purple firefish the same fish?

also, can you explain your filtration setup a little more?

I have a skimmer, 2 floss baskets, and a media reactor running GFO and carbon.. feel like it's just not enough for how much I feed

are the Helfrichi and purple firefish the same fish?

also, can you explain your filtration setup a little more?

I have a skimmer, 2 floss baskets, and a media reactor running GFO and carbon.. feel like it's just not enough for how much I feed

The Helfrichi is a deeper water dart fish. I have seen them up for sale in my area for $140.00. The lfs I frequent where I am good friends with the owner offered it to me for $55. I've heard before that they are shy and aren't really suited to aquarium life. This guy is always in the center of the tank playing in the flow.

My filtration is:

Left media basket (floss, marine pure spheres)

Next chamber has the heater, apex temp probe, and top off line

Pump chamber

Aquamaxx hob-1 skimmer (which I have had off because its been going crazy lately)

Right media basket (floss, purigen (probably going to regular carbon, ecobak ez biopellets)

The biopellets are specifically made to stick in a media area instead of in a reactor. It is supposed to provide a gentler filtration. I don't have any idea whether they work. I feed a moderate amount and I don't really get any algae aside from the film stuff. I have been too lazy to test any parameters on this tank despite having all the tests new in box.

The plan for the next few days doing my first water change with the aquaforest reef salt (5 gallons) and putting together some type of parameter log and commiting to a testing regimen. Hopefully after the water change the Aquamaxx stops being a flipping idiot and goes back to normal (seriously I am ready to throw it off the top of my house). Once I get some tests under my belt I can see what my alk + calcium demand are and plan a dosing schedule. I have a jebao dp4 that will be adding some 2 part. I've been drinking voss water lately so I have some dosing containers to setup.

the tunze 9001 works great IMO

Yeah my only concern would be splitting the return lines and running 2 pumps instead of 1. That area is a pain to work in and the cost of replacing a perfectly good pump.

Did some tests today with pretty interesting results. Nitrates came up zero and phosphates came out at 1. Looks like the clam and sponges are soaking up those nitrates. With the skimmer running the phosphates should go down. I may have to start dosing nitrates though.

the split isn't really a pain at all.. there isn't one with 2 pumps

i used 2 eheim adjustable 600's.. i actually just went in and turned 1 down because i added a wave pump to get some cross flow.

the pumps aren't expensive and the MOD is easy

i use my old pump for mixing SW

all works better than i expected..

i'm on the hunt for some creeper sponges.. can't find any starts at all, but headed to the lfs tomorrow to dig for rocks

Do you think the ATI unit with just 4 bulbs be enough for the 25 lagoon?

Should be the tank is only 12 inches tall. The most light demanding corals will be montis. I also have the reefbrite xho.

Did my first water change using aquaforest reef salt. This is the easiest mixing salt I have ever used. A little less than 2 scoops in a 5 gallon bucket of ro and we are at 1.026. Mixes completely clear in 15 minutes with a power head. Its been about 8 hours since my water change and I swear the polyp extension has improved.

I splurged a little this weekend. I have a jf burning banana, chili pepper monti, mystic sunset monti, and some acans coming in Tuesday. I also have 10 zoa frags coming next week.

• 2 weeks later...

My aiptasia problem has gotten a little out of hand. So I have 6 berghia nudibranches coming. Hoping that these buggers take care of it.

The nudibranches came in today and all were alive. I acclimated them and in they went. I have my mp10s turned off to give them a shot.

• Like 1
nolanrob123

I know you may not be open to introducing chemicals into the tank but I purchased a piece of live rock once that was so beautiful....until the aiptasia started. A fellow reefer told me to use gel super glue on top. I did and after a few days it was all gone. Once dead just use tweezers to remove the glue.

I know you may not be open to introducing chemicals into the tank but I purchased a piece of live rock once that was so beautiful....until the aiptasia started. A fellow reefer told me to use gel super glue on top. I did and after a few days it was all gone. Once dead just use tweezers to remove the glue.

use it in the tank? or pull the rock out and apply?

when I had a big problem, I injected them with lemon juice.. a few days later the peppermint shrimp (2) just attacked. 2 weeks later no signs were left

peppermint shrimp eat them after they have been weakened, or with lemon, or both

nolanrob123

That's awesome. If the juice works for you go with it. Yeah you put the glue on while I'm the water. I hate aiptasia. Such a nuisance. Good luck with it either way!

• Like 1

This wasnt a single anemone I was wanting to kill. This is literally dozens. It started with one that I hit with aiptasia x. With as much as I feed this tank they quickly multiplied. I bought a pair of peppermint shrimp but they didnt live past 4 days. The nudibranches are my last ditch effort.

• Like 1