Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TMR's Softie Lagoon update 7/29/18

Tmr8188

Nice tank :)

Ill probably try a few acros directly under the light and some digitatas off to the side. I didn't want to go too much light with all the lps and shrooms i have.

• 1 month later...

I'm really liking the start you love gotten off to. What's the plan for corals in this tank?

Thanks! My plan for corals is on the main rock formation on the left some acros directly under the light. In the shaded recesses some high end acans and favias. On the other rock possibly some digitatas. Under the left rock I will have my shrooms (wwc bounce, jawbreakers, kryptonite jawbreaker) and a wwc jellybean chalice I have. Behind the left rock I want to add some gorgonians. Throughout the bottom I will have some big polyp lps (scolys and some blastos). Then ill fill in with some palys.

Nothing too new to report. I got my replacement aqualifter and hooked up my hydor ato. I also labeled the power switches. Ive been dosing microbacter7 as directed and ghost feeding. Ill probably grab a cheap zoa frag from the lfs to throw in there over the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Tossed in some zoa frags I had lying around along with a few snails. I have a fine dusting of diatoms on my glass after 2 weeks of dosing microbacter7 and ghost feeding flaked food. I am having an issue with 2 pieces of equipment though.

Issue 1:

I cannot get my Hydor Smart Level to work. I have it paired with an aqualifter pump and no matter what it'll start beeping after a few minutes to an hour.

Issue 2:

I cannot get my reeflink to recognize my 2nd mp10wes. This is an mp10es that I purchased and added the rf module separately. I may have to give Ecotech a call.

I hooked up my Aquamaxx Hob-1 today after running it with some vinegar and saltwater. I made a diy bubble stopper using some pvc with holes drilled in with a sponge wrapped around it. Hopefully it breaks in pretty soon. I also put together my BRS screen top and I must say I am impressed with how it looks. You can't tell its there. It isn't secure for an eel but for regular reef fish it'll do the job. $30 well spent.

I did a 5 gallon water change and the first fish goes in tomorrow. Either a blueeyed cardinal or a pajama cardinal, leaning towards the blueeyed cardinal. Assuming all goes well with the cardinal, I'll be adding a Fathead anthias in a few weeks along with the rest of the inhabitants later on. I am pretty excited to get this build going.

I have been exploring different lighting setups since I am not too fond of the XR-15. Looking at either supplimenting the radion with some t5's and building a floating canopy or a reefbrite metal halide with some xho strips. My lfs (Reef Shac) has a 400w 20k halide with led supplements on their growout tank and the colors are insane! So definately leaning towards halides.

Nice clean work!

Thank you!

First fish is in. Its a pretty decent sized blue eyed cardinal. Hes currently hiding, I had to turn the mp10's off because he was getting blown around. This guy and his buddy have been at my lfs for almost a year and eats everything under the sun. Hes nice and thick. Imo a very underrated fish. I cannot wait to have him out in the open.

• Like 1
reefernanoman

Thank you!

First fish is in. Its a pretty decent sized blue eyed cardinal. Hes currently hiding, I had to turn the mp10's off because he was getting blown around. This guy and his buddy have been at my lfs for almost a year and eats everything under the sun. Hes nice and thick. Imo a very underrated fish. I cannot wait to have him out in the open.

Blue eyed cardinal? That sounds interesting. Maybe snap a picture later on?

Blue eyed cardinal? That sounds interesting. Maybe snap a picture later on?

Hes currently hiding in the rock. He better not be stuck.

And a 3rd Georgia person. Right smack dab in the middle of Atlanta

Yup, in Reef Shac country. I am in Powder Springs.

strummerfan

Hes currently hiding in the rock. He better not be stuck.

Yup, in Reef Shac country. I am in Powder Springs.

I've been out of the hobby for about 4 years so I'll have to get out there and check them out. I stopped into a store about a mile from my condo and was shocked by their prices.

I've been out of the hobby for about 4 years so I'll have to get out there and check them out. I stopped into a store about a mile from my condo and was shocked by their prices.

What store was it? If its in the city I don't doubt it. But the prices have gone up across the board, the whole sellers have gotten in on the price gouging. Reef Shac is the best store I have ever seen as far as pricing and selection of corals. They are in the midst of a massive expansion now.

strummerfan

What store was it? If its in the city I don't doubt it. But the prices have gone up across the board, the whole sellers have gotten in on the price gouging. Reef Shac is the best store I have ever seen as far as pricing and selection of corals. They are in the midst of a massive expansion now.

I can't remember at the moment. The first letter began with a p, so Pxxxxxx Reef. It's just off Ponce behind the Majestic. They had a rock with 12 or so green mushrooms for $80, GSP was $80. The GSP wasn't small, but it wasn't that spectacular fluorescent green you see every now and then and it was still just GSP. I might have been there between deliveries, but their fish selection was pretty bad and $$$, very few inverts(just some assorted snails and hermits). I'll give them another shot since they're so close, but as it stands it looks like I'll be driving or paying shipping fees. :(

I can't remember at the moment. The first letter began with a p, so Pxxxxxx Reef. It's just off Ponce behind the Majestic. They had a rock with 12 or so green mushrooms for $80, GSP was $80. The GSP wasn't small, but it wasn't that spectacular fluorescent green you see every now and then and it was still just GSP. I might have been there between deliveries, but their fish selection was pretty bad and $$$, very few inverts(just some assorted snails and hermits). I'll give them another shot since they're so close, but as it stands it looks like I'll be driving or paying shipping fees. :(

Oh wow. I heard that that place had just opened. Pretty crazy. I mostly just buy from one lfs or order online. I buy enough that shipping is usually free.

strummerfan

Oh wow. I heard that that place had just opened. Pretty crazy. I mostly just buy from one lfs or order online. I buy enough that shipping is usually free.

Part of my criticism about that store might just be that the bar was set so high several years ago by the now defunct Cappuccino Bay. I don't know if you are familiar with that store, but CB was the best saltwater aquarium store I've ever seen. They had hundreds of healthy SPS colonies and frags at great prices. To me one of the coolest things about that place was their clam tank. An 8'x8' shallow tank loaded with clams. RIP CB you are sorely missed.

Part of my criticism about that store might just be that the bar was set so high several years ago by the now defunct Cappuccino Bay. I don't know if you are familiar with that store, but CB was the best saltwater aquarium store I've ever seen. They had hundreds of healthy SPS colonies and frags at great prices. To me one of the coolest things about that place was their clam tank. An 8'x8' shallow tank loaded with clams. RIP CB you are sorely missed.

I have heard stories about that place. I wasn't in the hobby when it was open though. I live close to where it was.