Pod Your Reef

TMR's Softie Lagoon update 7/29/18

Tmr8188

The cardinal has emerged from the rock! I'll be breaking down my biocube tomorrow so more livestock will be going in the lagoon. I got an avast porthole the other day so I may break out the dslr and try to take some pics.

• Like 2
reefhound

The cardinal has emerged from the rock! I'll be breaking down my biocube tomorrow so more livestock will be going in the lagoon. I got an avast porthole the other day so I may break out the dslr and try to take some pics.

well, hurry the hell up!

well, hurry the hell up!

I have no idea how to take pics with my dslr. Heres some crappy cell pics instead.

20160507_140842_zpsr6rng19v.jpg

20160507_140835_zpswyqfwaaz.jpg

perfect! nice selection going in!

Thanks. Still torn on whether I want to include some acros or just embrace the softies and lps.

I am going to have to reposition one of the mp10s on the bottom. I have a pretty decent detris buildup already towards the back.

Added another blueeyed cardinal today. Hopefully they hang out together like they did at the lfs. I also added a pair of turbo snails.

Just ordered a 24" 4 bulb ati sunpower. Do I yank out 2 bulbs for 2x nanobox reef arrays or do I add a reefbrite xho strip or 2?

• Like 1

I bought a Helfrichi Firefish today as well as a dragon soul torch. I couldn't walk away from the price I got on the Helfrichi.

HarryPotter

Just ordered a 24" 4 bulb ati sunpower. Do I yank out 2 bulbs for 2x nanobox reef arrays or do I add a reefbrite xho strip or 2?

You should have gotten a 6 bulb and ripped out center 2! :P

You should have gotten a 6 bulb and ripped out center 2! :P

That would be a lot of light for this little tank. What I should have done was bought a Giesemann Matrix 6 bulb and gutted 2 bulbs and thrown in the reefbrites.

That would be a lot of light for this little tank. What I should have done was bought a Giesemann Matrix 6 bulb and gutted 2 bulbs and thrown in the reefbrites.

ok, throw it out and start over.. or, i'll send you a shipping label..

PM your address and i'll get it right out

ok, throw it out and start over.. or, i'll send you a shipping label..

PM your address and i'll get it right out

Send a box too?

you don't have the box?

no good... i'll pass

Ill just throw it out then...

I took off the radion and sent it to its new owner today. I have a kessil on the tank right now until my t5s come in. It looks so much better than the radion.

The 2 cardinals and the helfrichi are swimming around today. The helfrichi is particularly photogenic.

20160517_180805_zpsqyqbyeii.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

One of the cardinals passed away last week. The other fish are still doing well. I put up my ati sunpower today. I should get my xho strip next week.

Got my Reefbrite strip in. They are made to fit onto the ati sunpower. The biggest issue was finding a torx bit to remove the screws from the sunpower.

My current lighting situation is:

24" ati sunpower (3x ati blue plus and 1x giesemann super purple) with a 24" reefbrite xho blue strip. On its own it looks quite good. With 2 blue plus you get a decent amount of shimmer and alot of pop, with all 4 bulbs on you still get some shimmer and some decent pop. Overall pretty pleased with it.

Every coral is enjoying the t5's except my wwc jellybean that started receding on me. I also managed to get aiptasia in the tank somehow. I will be placing an order for some nudibranchs.

I have some cheap sps coming in tomorrow and I will be moving in some other corals so be prepared for some pics.

with aptasia, I've had pretty good luck with a peppermint shrimp and injecting the aptasia with lemon juice

the shrimp seem to like them with lemon

with aptasia, I've had pretty good luck with a peppermint shrimp and injecting the aptasia with lemon juice

the shrimp seem to like them with lemon

I am going to have to look into that.

I decided to replace my ato since the hydor decided to stay on. While shopping online I decided to get a few other things.

20160614_123848_zpsgwodi2sf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had a mini cycle about a week ago. Lost a wwc jelly bean chalice, acros are looking like poop, and my wwc bounce decided to bleach out.

I did however move my clowns and some corals to the Lagoon. The corals are pretty pissed right now but pics regardless!

20160624_143647_zpsfuebmumw.jpg

Jawbreaker, Kryptonite Jawbreaker, BSA Stratosphere Palys (grew from 1 polyp), some giant red bouncy shroom, and a vampire paly.

20160624_143653_zpshumb0zzp.jpg

Some blastos and a dragon soul torch

20160624_143705_zpsrwntlexj.jpg

Acros that look like poop.

• Like 1

Everything has opened up beautifully from the move except a green torch. I made a trip to the lfs today and got 2x Peppermint shrimp, 2x cerith snails, 2x banded trochus snails, and a fighting conch. Tomorrow is water change day. I am thinking of removing one of the blue + for an actinic bulb and switching to aqua forest probiotic reef salt from reef crystals.

• Like 1

i'm pretty sure the conch won't be happy without sand.. mine buries himself and you can see two eyeball stalks poking out.. he's moved a total of 4 inches in the month ive had him

Last Cardinal passed away today. He was swimming around with the rest of the fish earlier today and when I found him his fins were really messed up. Thinking it's the female clown. So looking for a 4th fish now.

NewbReefer316

I am going to have to look into that.

I decided to replace my ato since the hydor decided to stay on. While shopping online I decided to get a few other things.

20160614_123848_zpsgwodi2sf.jpg

Starting up a planted tank?