SaltCritters.com

My humble SPS journey - Shallow 80g

joshky

Beautiful tank! I bet those spoticinctus will love that anemone!

Thanks! Some new pics below. :D

I got the magnifica anemone in the display today, I was too excited not to take some pics even though I wanted to put it off until tomorrow. The magnifica anemone has lost some of its color (on the tips really) due to the medication/stressful environment but should color back up I think.
Also bought some 1 1/4" Amphiprion bicinctus var. spotcinctus to live in the new addition, they've already started working on building up their immunity to it.
28948172873_19a02f55a1_o.png
28948173263_44637a8164_o.png
And to keep the post purple, how about a photo of the purple plasma?
29491101021_cfabcef64f_o.png
  • Like 3
Some more pics

Acro Island

29351566920_607c8a9ef9_o.png

Purple Plasma - Side angle isn't much to look at, but I'm sure with growth it'll be just as pretty as from the top down.

29642218595_ce0a7a94a4_o.png

Wild "Superman" Acro - Starting to regain some color after browning out late July/early August. Quite a few acros had some issues but I had some personal matters that put my tank on the back burner a bit.

29642217305_9a855587b3_o.png

BC Ultimate Table - Browned out after being moved, yellow is slowly coming back but this one has never been amazing to look at from a frontal view. Maybe someday it'll be a stunning table in my tank.

29016065884_614e509d91_o.png

Red Planet - This one broke in half when I did the reaquascape, I like the look of this much better than the way it was growing naturally so I'm ok with that. :)

29642218025_752d06e2f0_o.png

29351568950_875ebf4592_o.png

29351567470_0ffb326874_o.png

Elegance - Still going strong, I actually like its new placement and I think when the acros grow out it'll be really pretty.

29351568350_41874b9875_o.png
  • Like 3

I can't get over that anemone. Absolutely stunning.

It finally started to settle in more today and looks much happier/healthier! :)

29367689280_9e016bb3b8_o.png

is that a pink and yellow elegance??? or just the photo colors messing with my eyes?

No it must be the monitor or phone screen giving off that illusion! It's actually just a nice tan with blue tips and convict neon green center.

Those clowns are awesome.

Thank you! :)

pffffft I've seen WAY better 80 Breeder tanks :P hahaha j/k. wicked looking nem, thing looks like its a decent size too. Wanted to add one but my clowns already hosted to my GSP so now it's like whats the point.

pffffft I've seen WAY better 80 Breeder tanks :P hahaha j/k. wicked looking nem, thing looks like its a decent size too. Wanted to add one but my clowns already hosted to my GSP so now it's like whats the point.

Haha thanks. It's about 10" in diameter, much larger than I thought it was but plenty of room for it so no worries. In your situation I totally agree, GSP is a great alternative and is much safer. :)

• Like 1

Your reef is looking fantastic. It's awesome to see that species of anemone doing well in a reef tank!

Without treatment it surely wouldn't be doing anything! Glad that's out of the way, it's doing great now. :) Thank you!

Wow looks great. Awesome sps collection. That elegance looks great.

Thanks! I love the elegance too, just wish that it would stay the size it is now lol. :D

Small picture update.

Magnifica top down, loving the red undertone through the purple. :D

29735727691_6ecb820ab0_o.png

Matrix in a DIY gutter guard basket for easy removal to clean in WC, not sure if I'm going to replace it with something better or add a handle yet.

29190873014_4316dea6e7_o.png

Pink Lemonade, more of a true yellow right now actually, but you can see the polyps are still more of a tan color vs. the last photo of it. I want those pink polyps back!

29735727081_0b878ba1bf_o.png

29782635666_6a2c1a51ee_o.png

29735725641_22e05ffd15_o.png

29735724711_49d413da58_o.png

This one is finally doing something, took a photo to document the pink/purple coming in on the new growth.

29735723431_9185c22731_o.png

BC Ultimate Table, looks like crap right now but it just keeps on growing! It's getting huge.

29735728661_5c6a409968_o.png

Overall colors aren't that great right now, some are doing good and others are still adjusting to the reaquascape and previous stress episode that happened when I had to go out of state without much warning. I think in a few more weeks I'll probably have much better colors, they've all been bouncing back really well and I'm starting to see some good improvements so I'm optimistic.

• Like 4

my SPS are turning dull / brown =(. Any tips?

Considering that's where I am right now with most of mine, I'm not sure I can help! LOL

Stability and patience is all I've got, some of mine went dull/brown from a stress episode late July, and then the rest went when I changed the aquascape up. Both of mine were from instability, I'm not at all surprised I'm in this situation. I've been keeping things very stable since changing up the aquascape and I've seen so much improvement, but I've still got a ways to go to be back where I used to be.

• Like 1
lilmatty5dimes

Great pics. I wouldn't mind having any of those pieces dull or brown in my tank right now. Lol What are your nitrates and po4 at? I've been reading and know a few people that there tanks were actually to clean and it causes the sps to dull out. They had to add some type of amino acid or NO3 to the tank to start getting back color again. I'll try and find the article.

Great pics. I wouldn't mind having any of those pieces dull or brown in my tank right now. Lol What are your nitrates and po4 at? I've been reading and know a few people that there tanks were actually to clean and it causes the sps to dull out. They had to add some type of amino acid or NO3 to the tank to start getting back color again. I'll try and find the article.

Someone else brought up the possible low nutrient issue, which might be the problem but I'm not too sure yet. I think instability has a lot to do with it so time will tell, I'll be sure to update how I brought my colors back around when I get there again. :D

no3 2.5ppm - salifert

po4 0.012ppm - hanna ulr phosphorus

For now I'll start feeding more often, nothing drastic, if I don't see much better colors in a month or so I'll probably add more fish. I'm currently dosing 7ml of TLF Acropower twice a week, but I'd prefer not to focus too much on dosing aminos and just add more fish if necessary. Because of the really low po4 reading I could easily add a few more fish, not really concerned about nitrates too much.

Someone else brought up the possible low nutrient issue, which might be the problem but I'm not too sure yet. I think instability has a lot to do with it so time will tell, I'll be sure to update how I brought my colors back around when I get there again. :D

no3 2.5ppm - salifert

po4 0.012ppm - hanna ulr phosphorus

For now I'll start feeding more often, nothing drastic, if I don't see much better colors in a month or so I'll probably add more fish. I'm currently dosing 7ml of TLF Acropower twice a week, but I'd prefer not to focus too much on dosing aminos and just add more fish if necessary. Because of the really low po4 reading I could easily add a few more fish, not really concerned about nitrates too much.

Your tank is beautiful but as a suggestion if I may be so bold; Keep it simple. I have a healthy bio load like you, I feed my fish every other day, dose the tank with ONLY calcium manually once a week, water change (25 gallons) once a month. I've found in the past 5 years the simpler you keep it the easier and smoother things go.