SaltCritters.com

My humble SPS journey - Shallow 80g

joshky

Let me know if it works,Ive been fighting it in my nano,and nothing is working. Best of luck to you man.

Thank you! Hopefully it'll work, it should be much easier to fix your problem in the nano with this stuff if it does! :)

Inwas emailing the guy last night once I sae your post ajd he said 15-20 .5 ml does should work,so I'll try and get some and see what happens.

Yeah man I hope this stuff works, good luck to you!

I've decided that for my system I will be dosing 10ml Mon/Wed/Fri, this is one day more than the recommended amount however I'd like to knock this bryopsis problem out asap. There are people doing a much higher dose than this with no negative effects so I'm hopeful I won't either, will be keeping a close eye on it though. I trimmed my bryopsis quite a bit last Thursday, hopeful that it would also help speed the process up.

Here is an updated FTS to show the bryopsis now/tank in general.

30213003683_3d0b5e6b81_o.png

New Multibar Angelfish - already nipping LPS, oh well! The angel stays. :)

30216204084_1e0c7fdde1_o.png

You can somewhat see the bryopsis in the picture above the angel kind of going grey at the tips, I've dosed three times thus far. Not 100% convinced it's from the vibrant dosing, it could just be from me trimming, time will tell.

• Like 3
Ah just caught the Starcki Damselfish out so I had to grab the camera, didn't think I would before lights out, I got this guy with the Multibar Angel. One more picture. :P

30732244362_afa6b8d11b_o.png

• Like 3
So I don't want to get ahead of myself and read into this too much, but I figured it was worth documenting in case this is something; the remaining bryopsis in my overflow is looking really weird, has a clear slimy substance covering it that I've never witnessed before, could it be the vibrant working? I see it on some of the bryopsis in the tank too, but not to the magnitude of the overflow, I imagine this may be a flow related thing? Let me know what you think, maybe there's another explanation for this. :)

30779560381_6e320f064f_o.png

30779561951_6ee0669bba_o.png

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to update everyone, sorry for not having photos I'll try to snap a few today if at all possible.

The Vibrant isn't working as fast as I would have liked, and some of my acros are a little upset probably from the continuous nutrient instability this product is causing, but still holding on okay for the most part. My actual nutrients when I test are holding steady but with all of the die off and new growth from said die off, I have to believe there's an instability problem going on. I'm seeing the bryopsis tips die off while the stuff closest to the rocks is still thriving currently, it's still growing about the same rate and I'm trying to keep up with manual removal. I am seeing minor progress and I'm cautiously optimistic about the future, hopefully I can get some photos of what my bryopsis is looking like now to document this part of the phase.

A fishy update, my tank has gone pretty wrasse dominate... ;)
Katherine's Fairy Wrasse - Absolutely a stunning species! When this wrasse flashes it seriously leaves me in awe.
27978089244_de0558ddeb_o.png
Ornate Leopard Wrasse
27978088854_899c55399a_o.png
Potter's Leopard Wrasse
28310850720_9cf3eaee2b_o.png
Solon's Fairy Wrasse
27978087884_7df39ac711_o.png
Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse
28488330732_62a07d2871_o.png
Scribbled Rabbit Fish
28310850240_7b64fd7154_o.png
Here's an updated photo of my sump area, yeah it's kind of a mess. That shelf the doser is on is supposed to be temporary, but I've been lazy.
28488331392_76241d1495_o.png

Man I love your acros. They look great. I hope you can get your algae problem under control. Just my two cents. I would remove the block in your sump and set that area up as a refugium. Among other benefits the algae down below will help starve out the algae up top. Here is an example of one of mine. Hope it helps.

OMVwXUN.jpg

NwlXXLc.jpg

• Like 1

Man I love your acros. They look great. I hope you can get your algae problem under control. Just my two cents. I would remove the block in your sump and set that area up as a refugium. Among other benefits the algae down below will help starve out the algae up top. Here is an example of one of mine. Hope it helps.

OMVwXUN.jpg

NwlXXLc.jpg

I have already been phasing out the block with matrix and I had the exact same thought as you to throw some chaeto in there, thanks for the comment. :)

• 2 months later...

Stunning. :) If I ever set up a bigger tank, it will most likely be wrasse and tang dominant.

I love wrasses, I constantly find myself wanting more but instead I want to focus on smaller gobies and such now to add something you have to look for. I added a super small ruby red dragonet today to fit that bill. :)

Looks awesome Josh any updated FTS?

No, the vibrant did wonders on everything but my bryopsis and ultimately my initial aggressive approach sent most of my acros into dormancy and for a while I lost all interest in the tank from feeling defeated. I just recently beat it with fluconazole, and after stopping my vibrant dosing things are slowly getting back on track but not anywhere near the last FTS. I have plans to do a photo update on Sunday I hope, it's probably not as bad as I'm making it out to sound. :P

How are you liking the frosted background? I have a deep blue 60 and I want to either do a frosted back or a blue back.

I loved it at first but I've grown to really dislike it. It's gotten bubbles etc. in it over time from cleaning and the background looks grey if you don't have blue light near it (I had to put a blue+ bulb in the back of my fixture to keep it blue). To be completely honest if you don't have plumbing in the back, which you most people do, but if not, and you can paint the wall that the tank is on, I would paint the wall blue and have no background on the tank, it's the cleanest look you can get IMO. If only I could go back in time and do my return plumbing somewhere else and painted my wall. :P

I'm constantly debating taking it off and painting the background something similar to the color swatch below, it's a lot darker than the frosted background but I found it easier to take photos with a darker background in the past... I could be remembering incorrectly but ever since I've had that semi-transparent background I swear it just seems harder to get the camera to focus (not an expert!).

8ddca6408c17b10b97d93abeea18d9e3.jpg

How many doses of the fluconazole did you had to do. I'veen struggling for almost a year with Bryopsis and cannot defeat it...

One dose and it's done, then you can sit back and watch it happen. I think the current recommended amount is 200mg/10g, that's what I did anyways.

• 1 month later...
Picture update. Colors still haven't fully returned but progress is being made so for now I'm taking the slow and steady approach, waiting can be the hardest thing in this hobby. I did add two BioTek 20k (blue) LED "T5" bulbs to my 8x54 SunPower, so far I'm in love with them, but I'll have to figure out how to take photos in my tank again. :P These will do for now.

33518423145_35f160db28_o.png

33518422715_c3a4f924f1_o.png

33134760880_bdb4cbcfd5_o.png

33134758340_a0e5bc898d_o.png

33477388876_d458cb0002_o.png

33518419315_2bee0f4eb0_o.png

33134753400_5d40882411_o.png

33518419955_afcd34d16d_o.png

33134755310_59bce2e901_o.png

32845542102_c158929e8a_o.png

33134759670_ed32277ed5_o.png
  • Like 5