Cultivated Reef

My humble SPS journey - Shallow 80g

joshky

that pink lemonade is so nice

Thank you! It's got new branches growing upwards on the base, I can't wait for it to turn into a mini colony. :D

nice my one is doing good, its suppsoed to have red in it like yours in the pic but its getting there i suppose, has great pe and encrusting just need color.. i have quite a few of adams stuff..still all small though. my snipers blue gummy or whatever he calls its so close to start sending new branches out. but my far brads defuego and pc rainbow are my fav

I will definitely be buying more from Adam in the future, he has so many pieces I want LOL. :) Thank you.

Fun little gif of my Pink Lemonade showing growth and color improvement, sorry about the image quality, I couldn't get it to save any better. These pictures are basically a month apart.

23677631031_89886d061c_o.gif

I think I need to visit Battle corals website- those acros are looking really nice

You should, he has some nice stuff!

• Like 5
  • 2 months later...
I've been having quite a few issues here recently with dinos, it's really just been a pain to deal with and my entire tank has suffered as of late. I made a decision recently to reboot my system using TBS 2.1 Walt Smith live rock, and ended up purchasing a 30g package that includes 60lb of live rock, 30lb of live sand, a bunch of inverts and freebie throw-ins such as the sponges and gorgonian you see littered around my tank. Unfortunately with me working weekends it didn't give me much time to do much with it. However, I've been working on it as much as possible in my spare time and I was able to take a few photos for you guys of where the tank is at currently.

Sorry the FTS makes it seem like it's super cramped, I'll probably need to get a better angle of it again later. I took two photos from the sides to show that it is indeed quite spacious. clear.png

FTS

24691489914_2496f14cf2_o.png

Left Side

24954446289_c69b66be49_o.png

Right Side

25229002451_e11492679f_o.png

It's not quite a "minimalist" aquascape, as before, but I really like the direction so I'll probably just do some minor tweaks from here. I hope you guys enjoy and forgive me for the brown acros with STN. :PThis is just step one in getting my tank back on track, more to be posted later.

• Like 4

Small picture update for you guys! Sorry it's mostly flubber, I promise to take more SPS pictures as things mend a bit more. I'm seeing great progress with a few other pieces so I'm really encouraged that things are on the right track!

Wild SSC
25389740621_564dc1827f_o.png
Pink Lemonade
25389741551_63d9df0499_o.png
Neon Green Trumpets
25482591345_d918699427_o.png
Elegance
25456452296_90de130842_o.png
Blue Squamosa
25187004480_638cccd4be_o.png
Cirrhilabrus lyukyuensis
25389741121_0bc06f83ae_o.png

For a reboot it is looking pretty good :).

Thanks so much, it's been a great decision as I'm seeing so much recovery on my SPS already!

• Like 4

Tank is still looking beautiful! I have to admit I've been a little lazy with mine past couple weeks so I got a weekend of cleaning! And hopefully the LFS will have a Tang I like in stock.

I wasn't able to get a picture of everything and kind of rushed things in the end so some of the quality is sub par, but this should give you a good idea of how my acros are doing. I pretty much had a mini crash thanks to the dinos, but things are back on track now I believe, so hopefully that's behind me. I'm seeing amazing improvement from acros everyday, the Oregon Tort for example was almost pure brown before I got the new rock and look at it now.
A. efflorescens
25514786446_44a98396a1_o.png
A. vermiculata
25514785666_3fbbf9a750_o.png
25514784996_85d507ef1d_o.png
25245294290_5f15affaf8_o.png
Oregon Tort
25173378389_2c948c798f_o.png
25422370422_2350a1da8d_o.png
Red (brown) Planet
25514781756_a117125901_o.png
A. valida
24910381164_8b15799f70_o.png
25448170491_a4b6e33635_o.png
T. maxima
25173379079_841ba0689f_o.png

Tank is still looking beautiful! I have to admit I've been a little lazy with mine past couple weeks so I got a weekend of cleaning! And hopefully the LFS will have a Tang I like in stock.

Thanks. :) Good luck getting a tang!

• Like 4

Looks better than most of mine. Hopefully the Dinos are a thing of the past.

Ugh. I'm really sorry Mark, really sad to hear that buddy. I hope you get things back under control, it's terribly discouraging to have things like this happen.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
I have a small update for you guys, as well all know pictures speak louder than words so I wanted to show some comparison photos from my last update. I would have done more to compare but I've been feeling sick so when I get better I'll take more photos for you guys.
25675824772_1653ef18ce_o.png
25166318684_1bb5be24c1_o.png

I am 100% convinced as of right now that things are on track and I'm seeing so much improvement day by day that I'm super happy with. Colors still have a lot of improving to do on all pieces, even my pink lemonade and SSC are both looking like crap color-wise; however they've had the best polyp extension I've ever seen and growth has been fine so I'm thinking it might just be them adjusting to the new parameters of the system? Whatever the case is, I'm not too worried.

• Like 4

Sorry to hear about the dino issues youve had. They struck my tank pretty hard as well and wreaked havoc on all my montis and some of my acros. some things did okay others tanked. But i think they are on the downward slope now and if i can stop neglecting the tank and get back to taking care of it things should be okay.

What method did you use to try and rid the dinos from your tank?

Some more updated photos documenting my acros recovery.
25367576173_f092a5c8ec_o.png
25875528852_fe76af20e1_o.png
25367576943_27b2fe7e23_o.png
25996316045_2ab30f2d86_o.png
25367578123_547f71ea3d_o.png

Sorry to hear about the dino issues youve had. They struck my tank pretty hard as well and wreaked havoc on all my montis and some of my acros. some things did okay others tanked. But i think they are on the downward slope now and if i can stop neglecting the tank and get back to taking care of it things should be okay.

What method did you use to try and rid the dinos from your tank?

I replaced my rock with TBS 2.1 live rock, actually bought a 30g package so sand and inverts too. After all of my research I found that dinos love a tank without biodiversity so from now on I'll be a big supporter of REAL live rock, TBS has some great rock. Things are going really well thus far, dinos went away the first night after replacing all of my rock and most of my sand.

• Like 2

I replaced my rock with TBS 2.1 live rock, actually bought a 30g package so sand and inverts too. After all of my research I found that dinos love a tank without biodiversity so from now on I'll be a big supporter of REAL live rock, TBS has some great rock. Things are going really well thus far, dinos went away the first night after replacing all of my rock and most of my sand.

Ive read that as well, I plan on ordering a large shipment of pods from key reefer here to jumpstart my microfauna again now that im done with dosing h2o2. Might try and order some other critters or get some chaeto from an established tank or from a lfs to toss in there. The fish will devour it but im hoping the critters inside will move to the live rock or glass and th erest of the tank

Good to see your recovery!

Do you use a doser? if so what do you dose?

Ive read that as well, I plan on ordering a large shipment of pods from key reefer here to jumpstart my microfauna again now that im done with dosing h2o2. Might try and order some other critters or get some chaeto from an established tank or from a lfs to toss in there. The fish will devour it but im hoping the critters inside will move to the live rock or glass and th erest of the tank

Good to see your recovery!

Do you use a doser? if so what do you dose?

I have a doser from kamoer but it's not hooked up, I haven't figured out where I'm going to put it so I've been hand dosing. I built a shelf for it but I plan on getting a ATS from Turbo's Aquatics so the shelf I made won't work, because that's where the ATS will be going haha. I dose 20ml of alk/calcium daily right now so it's manageable.

Two more photos to document changes/growth.

I lost quite a bit of this from accidental fragging, it's just kind of been hanging on after all of my drama. It's starting to recover nicely and show some growth/color again.

25915922141_4ef00de1cb_o.png

I believe this to be a frag of A. spathulata, it's never done well for me at all, the outer growth was always super stressed, polyps completely retracted, and color non-existent. Well it's finally doing something, color is coming in, polyps are starting to come out, and growth hopefully not far behind.

26010856535_71001cfde6_o.png

• Like 1

Awesome comparison shots on the corals recovery! In such short time too!!!

How you liking the mp40's? I'm trying to decide btw 2 MP40 vs a Gyre on a 75g. Ugh.

I'm creeping on everyone's threads right now for inspiration :ninja:

After all of my research I found that dinos love a tank without biodiversity

I couldn't agree more with this.

Awesome comparison shots on the corals recovery! In such short time too!!!

How you liking the mp40's? I'm trying to decide btw 2 MP40 vs a Gyre on a 75g. Ugh.

I'm creeping on everyone's threads right now for inspiration :ninja:

Thank you!

In a standard 75g I would say the MP40s would be really nice, with my shallow dimensions I'm having a little buyers remorse, I can't get the flow how I want it to keep the sand where it should be. That being said as things grow out, the flow will be less of a problem and I'll eventually be happy I think. I've considered getting a gyre to supplement my MP40s and put them all on a lower speed, that would give me a more varied flow without having to crank them up so high. Ultimately either will work but if you're wanting a lot of SPS I think you'll need to upgrade your flow if you go with the single gyre, good luck. :)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Small photo update, nothing super special, things are getting better. B)

26378886175_1f4a08531a_o.png

26378884785_b623d9103f_o.png

25774060054_2138a7042e_o.png

26286550342_99c2e11bd4_o.png

26286549512_87b4fa7a74_o.png

Hope everyone is having a good April so far, thanks for stopping by. :)

• Like 2

great photos as always. looking back, what do you think contributed the most to your SPS recovery?

Stability. At the peak of my dinos I let the tank go more than I care to say, I'm sure we've all been there before, but I was ultimately my worst enemy.

• Like 1

How did the rock from tbs turn out? I'm moving in may and considering just ordering a package from them and setting the tank up with all new rock and sand..

Did you have pests? Did you cure the rock or anything?