inTank Media Baskets

DrGibbys 10g shutting them down :(

drgibby

Went to a local vendor Yesterday Matt Bennett of Matts corals. Hes a real nice guy and was selling frags for $25 so i figured it was time to see if the tank was ready. I told myself i was only going to buy 1 Frag because i didn't want to kill more then one. Well i couldn't decide so i came home with 2 :(

28618715851_5c6f64ec5b.jpg20160731_161247 by drgibby, on Flickr

I really like them a lot. i acclimated an dipped them. This is them just after i put them in the tank

28618701731_9d3079303b.jpg20160731_181057 by drgibby, on Flickr

Fingers crossed this attempt goes better. Really nice frags for $25!! fingerscrossedfingerscrossed

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Acros are looking great. Great polyp extension and color is looking good. Whats the white on the monti cap is it growth or bleaching? Its just a small spot but man is it white.

28639910502_eb6d62b7b2.jpg20160803_080451 by drgibby, on Flickr

28667647491_8827c2e9bb.jpg20160803_105611 by drgibby, on Flickr

Also wondering what this is. It looks like a piece of my frogspawn broke off and is floating around the tank

28639904572_8e0a97dc8c.jpg20160802_184303 by drgibby, on Flickr

FlamingPrawn

The Acros are looking great. Great polyp extension and color is looking good. Whats the white on the monti cap is it growth or bleaching? Its just a small spot but man is it white.

28639910502_eb6d62b7b2.jpg20160803_080451 by drgibby, on Flickr

28667647491_8827c2e9bb.jpg20160803_105611 by drgibby, on Flickr

Also wondering what this is. It looks like a piece of my frogspawn broke off and is floating around the tank

28639904572_8e0a97dc8c.jpg20160802_184303 by drgibby, on Flickr

It might've had a poly bail out. It it settled on the sanded don't be surprised if it starts growing :P

The white spot on the monti look like something stung it or damaged it. As long as it doesn't spread it should be fine.

The white spot on the monti look like something stung it or damaged it. As long as it doesn't spread it should be fine.

:( no clue what could have stung it... it might have been hit by a flying snail as it got stuck in the mp10 and shot out... that was a fun sound at 2 am. Now im all paranoid that its dying. In response i have moved the mp10 a little higher so its not blowing directly on it..

Heres a top down so you can see whats around it

28479809850_b70104af78.jpg20160804_081140 by drgibby, on Flickr

The receding on the monti seems to be getting worse. It's focusing on going in the middle. Not sure why it started or what to do besides wait. I hate seeing this..

The monti has stopped receding i think.. Or its going slowly its hard to tell. I have bought a doser and am trying to figure out how much to do.

28234944373_250624b21f.jpg20160808_104915 by drgibby, on Flickr

I need to figure out how little i can do. I need a small amount of Ca daily and Alk every other day. I pulled out the directions and it doesn't seem to difficult i just dont want to set down and set up a trial area where i can measure and wait days to see how consistent it is and make sure everything will stay within limit. Until then ill just keep manual dosing.

28849842355_980ec251aa.jpg20160805_103525 by drgibby, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe i haven't posted here in a week. The monti cap has stopped receding and might actually be coloring up so i guess its going to be ok :). I still have not setup my doser but am slowly working at it and manually dosing. This weekend im hoping to bring home some new frags to add to the tank. Im very happy. Things are going great. I think NYFishies has found the perfect centerpieces for my 4g and couldn't be happier. (unless i can get Kat to throw in a piece of Katropora then i would be ecstatic! fingerscrossed:P ) Ill post some pictures early next week hopefuly omgomgomg

Are you going to be stopping somewhere during your road trip this weekend?

Yup back to Matt bennet in Columbus hes making me some frags from his mother colony's :)

I still want that frogspawn :(

Come pick it up :) Im thinking of getting rid of the bigger one as well make room for the new stuff coming

I'm glad the monti is doing better!

I have the DP-4 doser too. In a small tank like a 10g or 4g, it can be tricky to use because it pumps fast and the minimum dose is 1 ml. When you want to dose something like exactly 3.5 ml/day it's hard to do when your only choices are a total of 3 or 4 ml. And to compound the problem, the DP-4 doesn't dose the exact same amount every time when you're only dosing 1 ml, because it runs for such a short time.

I found I was able to make it work by diluting the dosing solution with RODI by a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio. Then just double or triple your usual dosing amount and it's much more accurate.

I'm glad the monti is doing better!

I have the DP-4 doser too. In a small tank like a 10g or 4g, it can be tricky to use because it pumps fast and the minimum dose is 1 ml. When you want to dose something like exactly 3.5 ml/day it's hard to do when your only choices are a total of 3 or 4 ml. And to compound the problem, the DP-4 doesn't dose the exact same amount every time when you're only dosing 1 ml, because it runs for such a short time.

I found I was able to make it work by diluting the dosing solution with RODI by a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio. Then just double or triple your usual dosing amount and it's much more accurate.

Oh Teeny you know just how to make me not want to set it up even more.. You give some good ideas though I will get around to it... maybe..

Im feeling really good right now about this tank. Its looking great and when i get some time i think im going to start mounting frags and placing to see who tolerates what positions best in the tank. I went back to columbus and might have picked up a few more :)

28564807953_48ffbfe3ec.jpg20160823_121234 by drgibby, on Flickr

28564760493_c63643c1cc.jpg20160823_121227 by drgibby, on Flickr

They look amazing to be honest. While walking around Matts place Something else caught my eye.

28562381174_a32b4177cd.jpg20160821_170938 by drgibby, on Flickr

This would quickly outgrow my tank so i might have picked up a maxima... dont hate me and i know it will be difficult to raise in a smaller tank but it might force me to get a bigger one.. so he came home with me

28562370354_409e88b7b7.jpg20160823_121223 by drgibby, on Flickr

i wish i would have taken a picture while at the shop but i was so excited and impulsed to buy. I have him placed on a piece of small tile right now hoping he attaches and opens even wider

Nice new corals! Are you going to put that maxima in the center spot?

Thanks Kat! I really like the new pickups. The mother colonys they came off of gorgeous :wub: I wanted to put him center right under the lights but right now i have moved the frogspawn to the front lower right and hes placed on a tile on that spot. He keeps moving to the left side of his tile so i dont think he has attached yet. I also dont think right in the middle on the rocks would be good since the mp10 would be blowing directly on him. We will see you can see in the new picture how hes has moved slightly over. Not sure if he was bumped by a snail or he can walk...

29152055586_1fe954590d.jpg20160823_152246 by drgibby, on Flickr

FlamingPrawn

I'll take all the frogspawn if you're worried about it getting stung :) You're really gonna need to watch your cal and alk... might need to start putting kalk in your ATO

I'll take all the frogspawn if you're worried about it getting stung :) You're really gonna need to watch your cal and alk... might need to start putting kalk in your ATO

HAHA hes actually very happy in his new place but i really am leaning towards getting rid of it so i can fit a setosa in that position. The Cal and Alk i monitor twice a week and have figured out a manual dosing for both. As i keep saying i need to get the doser figured out and test it out to a diluted solution but for now manual dosing is easier.

Thanks Kat! I really like the new pickups. The mother colonys they came off of gorgeous :wub: I wanted to put him center right under the lights but right now i have moved the frogspawn to the front lower right and hes placed on a tile on that spot. He keeps moving to the left side of his tile so i dont think he has attached yet. I also dont think right in the middle on the rocks would be good since the mp10 would be blowing directly on him. We will see you can see in the new picture how hes has moved slightly over. Not sure if he was bumped by a snail or he can walk...

29152055586_1fe954590d.jpg20160823_152246 by drgibby, on Flickr

The clam looks a little pinched to me. That can happen for many reasons, especially stress. Stress can be caused by it not liking it's placement - light or flow or both. Yes, it can walk. It jumps too. I'm perfectly serious. It will detach itself from the tile if it can't move with the tile.

The clam looks a little pinched to me. That can happen for many reasons, especially stress. Stress can be caused by it not liking it's placement - light or flow or both. Yes, it can walk. It jumps too. I'm perfectly serious. It will detach itself from the tile if it can't move with the tile.

Well the wife and I came home from date night and the clam had fallen off his tile and rock... He was never attached to anything. I have moved him to the sand bed with the tile under him to get him to attach.

When you say pinched do you just mean not fully open? He hasn't opened nearly as much as he was when I got him. I'm wondering if he is just stressed or placement is not right or the light not enough yet. We will see

Pinched means the mantle is not evenly extended. No matter how much it extends, all the petals/folds are evenly extended in a happy clam.

Pinched

6216315090_3339bee037_b.jpg

Happy

Maxima.jpg

That means he was unhappy when I bought him. :( the one side has never opened as much as the other... Is there a way to fix this or will he just end up dying?

Archived