Pod Your Reef

DrGibbys 10g shutting them down :(

drgibby

Honestly, the easiest way to tell is that the dinos will almost certainly never go away. But yours looks exactly like what I had which was not dinos.

John from reefcleaners has a nice guide to nuisance algae on his site. You can see a picture of both there. Note in particular his advice for how to handle dinos :lol:

I read the guide and I'm hoping its what you had cuz I still don't see the difference. I really don't feel like starting over...again... I have corals coming Sunday so I need to be ready

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I took teenys advice and blew off the rocks which look nice now and did a 10% water change which brought ammonia down to .25ppm which I feel is pretty good for one water change. Now I'm hoping after doing this for a couple of days things even out and settle down. I'm really hoping I didn't just unleash Dino's everywhere in my tank. Oh well we will find out soon enough.

Awesome, that's great news! Just be careful and go slow with adding stuff. In other words, do as all the experienced reefers say, not as we always seem to do :lol:

Time for a CuC?

Cuc was added a week or so ago. I might add some more of something but I'm not sure what. I need something that loves algae and will eat off the rocks.

I'm going to try going slow but it's so hard!

If you need some convincing on going slow, just wander over to my thread. :unsure:

However I got a tail spot blenny, and he has done wonders for keeping my algae in check. You should look into them, they are very fun fish.

So Busy weekend: Friday there was a fish sale and i bought 2 clowns. My wife wanted to pick one and i picked one so here are the 2 new little guys

24567007433_d909f66654.jpg2016-02-20 08.18.40 by drgibby, on Flickr

25193837815_64a1c4013d.jpg2016-02-19 16.50.13 by drgibby, on Flickr

They are doing well are eating flakes and mysis and pods. They also seem to really enjoy the front of the glass and rarely go around the tank.

On Saturday i had a friend go to LEAR the frag swap and pick up some frags for a nice price! I know i know go slow... :slap: i really am trying. So i put in a piece of angry GSP and Frogspawn

24897825210_36fd26c046.jpgfrogspawn by drgibby, on Flickr

24825750689_7f80f8cf70.jpggsp by drgibby, on Flickr

and that leads me to my first ever ... very boring :wacko: FTS!!!

24897814090_062a356a7c.jpgFTS222 by drgibby, on Flickr

Im sure i will mess with placements and all but for now i am very excited and hope everything stays alive and grows!

So Busy weekend: Friday there was a fish sale and i bought 2 clowns. My wife wanted to pick one and i picked one so here are the 2 new little guys

24567007433_d909f66654.jpg2016-02-20 08.18.40 by drgibby, on Flickr

25193837815_64a1c4013d.jpg2016-02-19 16.50.13 by drgibby, on Flickr

They are doing well are eating flakes and mysis and pods. They also seem to really enjoy the front of the glass and rarely go around the tank.

On Saturday i had a friend go to LEAR the frag swap and pick up some frags for a nice price! I know i know go slow... :slap: i really am trying. So i put in a piece of angry GSP and Frogspawn

24897825210_36fd26c046.jpgfrogspawn by drgibby, on Flickr

24825750689_7f80f8cf70.jpggsp by drgibby, on Flickr

and that leads me to my first ever ... very boring :wacko: FTS!!!

24897814090_062a356a7c.jpgFTS222 by drgibby, on Flickr

Im sure i will mess with placements and all but for now i am very excited and hope everything stays alive and grows!

Nice additions!

Those clowns are cute. And that's a pretty good sized frogspawn. Make sure you watch your GSP, as you probably know the stuff grows like crazy.

Nice additions!

Those clowns are cute. And that's a pretty good sized frogspawn. Make sure you watch your GSP, as you probably know the stuff grows like crazy.

i know! 3 heads for 5$ the GSP was just placed there for now he will be moved if he ever opens up

Everything seems to be doing ok. The frogspawn is getting really puffy and showing off his mouth. Im not sure if this means hes hungry or just happy. I have tried spot feeding some mysis but never see anything get eaten so im not really sure if im doing it right. I have put some reef roids near and around him and the gsp hoping that helps.

24611019403_cac7d19db3.jpg2016-02-24 11.59.30 by drgibby, on Flickr

25119530542_0a08fe7aef.jpg2016-02-24 08.45.52 by drgibby, on Flickr

FlamingPrawn

Frogspawn typically won't eat. Have to get something like Coral Frenzy if you want them to get something. But nitrates will increase... at least in my experience

Got a coral shipment in from Cultivated Reef. Great Corals Better customer service. Ill show you want i got.

Nightmare Pally not a great picture best i could get

25328584342_1fef9f94e3.jpg2016-03-01 12.13.17 by drgibby, on Flickr

Devil Armor Paly

25446990975_a2b3ee8e47.jpg2016-03-01 12.13.05 by drgibby, on Flickr

Green Ricordia

25354046371_6a1fb14e1f.jpg2016-03-01 11.01.53 by drgibby, on Flickr

The Devil armor paly will most likely be the first corals i try to scrape off the rock its on and transfer it to another. Im nervous for that so any advice i will love. :scarry:

I also have redone the scape for i think the 3rd time since i said i love it and wouldn't change it. Ill share a picture of that later but for now im going to let things grow in!

I need a better camera but id rather spend money on corals..

FlamingPrawn

is red your favorite color? ;) seems like a lot of your stuff is red. especially zoas haha. Glad your's are growing! idk what is going on with mine :(

Got a coral shipment in from Cultivated Reef. Great Corals Better customer service. Ill show you want i got.

Nightmare Pally not a great picture best i could get

25328584342_1fef9f94e3.jpg2016-03-01 12.13.17 by drgibby, on Flickr

Devil Armor Paly

25446990975_a2b3ee8e47.jpg2016-03-01 12.13.05 by drgibby, on Flickr

Green Ricordia

25354046371_6a1fb14e1f.jpg2016-03-01 11.01.53 by drgibby, on Flickr

The Devil armor paly will most likely be the first corals i try to scrape off the rock its on and transfer it to another. Im nervous for that so any advice i will love. :scarry:

I also have redone the scape for i think the 3rd time since i said i love it and wouldn't change it. Ill share a picture of that later but for now im going to let things grow in!

I need a better camera but id rather spend money on corals..

Love the new coral, looks like they Pop really well!

Also don't be afraid to transfer coral, those things are crazy resilient.

Just make sure to wear gloves and glasses with the palys, they secret a toxin that can really cause issues.

Keep the pictures coming, they look great!

Love the new coral, looks like they Pop really well!

Also don't be afraid to transfer coral, those things are crazy resilient.

Just make sure to wear gloves and glasses with the palys, they secret a toxin that can really cause issues.

Keep the pictures coming, they look great!

I'm terrified to transfer coral so afraid I will kill them. What's the best way to go about doing it? How do you get the glue to work underwater or do you use putty? What parts are ok to cut and what arnt? Thanks for the help!

is red your favorite color? ;) seems like a lot of your stuff is red. especially zoas haha. Glad your's are growing! idk what is going on with mine :(

Red and orange although im really liking the green ric as well. I really want that ufo micromusa and green spartan lepto. Im trying very hard to be patient though.

I'm terrified to transfer coral so afraid I will kill them. What's the best way to go about doing it? How do you get the glue to work underwater or do you use putty? What parts are ok to cut and what arnt? Thanks for the help!

Superglue works fine underwater, just use the gel kind. However, I've found I get stronger bond if I drain enough water to expose the rock to the air, glue the frag on, let it sit for 30 seconds, and then put the water back in. Or just take advantage of the opportunity to make a water change with new water :)

If you have a big gap, you can make a sandwich with epoxy putty in the middle and superglue on each side.

You can usually use a pair of dikes, wire cutters, or bone cutters to remove the frag from the plug. Or just cut away at the plug until you just have a really small piece of plug left. Zoa and palys can be removed with a chisel or putty knife but scraping the mat off the pulg.

I was brave this Sunday and decided to try to make things more permanent. Everything was very happy in its place so i decided to secure it. The Nightmare paly was easy, I just scraped it off the plug and glued it down with a big pile of glue making sure not to get any on the poly. The plugs of the Ricordea and GSP were trimmed back and secured as well. I tried to pry the Devil armor Paly off its stone but im pretty sure i killed one instead so i decided to just fix the stone in place with some putty and glue and im hoping it will just eventually grow over the area and hide it.

Getting things off stone seemed to be the hardest. All the nooks and crannies. When i cut under the paly it pretty much deflated and scared me to death. I gave up easily but oh well im happy with the way it looks. I need to figure out a way to make it easier though because i really want to get the Ric off its rock in my 4g.

Everything is still angry but i will get pictures soon!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Things seem to be doing well. One of the frags i got from Cultivated reef had 2 small Aiptsaia on them so i quickly superglued them closed. I hope that will be the end of that. The frogspawn i got is getting big. Hes very happy nice big and puffy. He also seems to have these small buds around the base of his stalk that im not really sure what they are.

26087944541_be57f64970.jpg20160331_111133 by drgibby, on Flickr

26061810552_e35e5a03a2_z.jpg20160331_110316 by drgibby, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

So well I can't say enough for craftsmanship of this top. Smiz really did a great job. The cuts are flawless and it fits like a glove. A little wiggle room for error but you really can't do much better than this top. His packaging was great there was no way this would arrive broken unless the carrier intentionally would smash it.

26098474270_189924a616_c.jpg20160405_080908 by drgibby, on Flickr

It was dark last night and I was shining a flashlight in the tank looking around for any weird things i might find. Well i found this

26427558395_db1d6fc0d2_c.jpg20160413_222605 by drgibby, on Flickr

Im looking at the clear almost translucent flower type spores under the zoas. I tried poking them to see if they would withdrawal but they didn't move. Any clue as to what they are? Are they bad?

Archived