SaltCritters.com

DrGibbys 10g shutting them down :(

drgibby

I must have stumped the community on this one.. No responses :P

While i wait to see if people have an idea I picked up a new zoa and ricordia at a local place for cheap!

26494292251_3eeb3fa88b.jpg

25955392444_204ccc8fa9.jpg

I do love these 2 the reef is slowly filling in :)

[25955446294_54bc26faea.jpg

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was dark last night and I was shining a flashlight in the tank looking around for any weird things i might find. Well i found this

26427558395_db1d6fc0d2_c.jpg20160413_222605 by drgibby, on Flickr

Im looking at the clear almost translucent flower type spores under the zoas. I tried poking them to see if they would withdrawal but they didn't move. Any clue as to what they are? Are they bad?

Bringing this forward..

Looks like some kind of Feather duster to me...but you said that when you touch them they don't retract...so idk

Yeah they don't retract almost remind me of a big spore. At least you gave me something to look into

reefernanoman

So well I can't say enough for craftsmanship of this top. Smiz really did a great job. The cuts are flawless and it fits like a glove. A little wiggle room for error but you really can't do much better than this top. His packaging was great there was no way this would arrive broken unless the carrier intentionally would smash it.

26098474270_189924a616_c.jpg20160405_080908 by drgibby, on Flickr

That sure looks nice! Your tank is looking good too!.

Does it look like this? I saw this post t'day. Urs looks similar.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/372992-something-growing-on-my-live-rock/#entry5318472

Doesn't quite look like this. seems mine is more dandelion like. Hasn't spread or shrunk.. im thinking its not going to be invasive. The reef is doing well. Its almost to the point i want it to start growing out instead of adding to.

That sure looks nice! Your tank is looking good too!.

Thanks! Its doing well Im planning on adding a few more pieces then letting it go for a couple months to just grow in. This is a really fun hobby and im thinking of doing a bigger tank. Wish it wasn't as expensive. Here hoping i win a red sea reefer or Cads light tank soon! :P

Doesn't quite look like this. seems mine is more dandelion like. Hasn't spread or shrunk.. im thinking its not going to be invasive. The reef is doing well. Its almost to the point i want it to start growing out instead of adding to.

Thanks! Its doing well Im planning on adding a few more pieces then letting it go for a couple months to just grow in. This is a really fun hobby and im thinking of doing a bigger tank. Wish it wasn't as expensive. Here hoping i win a red sea reefer or Cads light tank soon! :P

You and Me both :PB)

I know im due for a FTS this month but i did a water change wanting to take one but after the change everything is all pissed off so i checked ammonia levels cuz it seems to be what i have trouble with. They had spiked to 4PPM!!! with api test kit. So i waited about 2 hours and they are now down to .5ppm. I dont know what caused the spike but oh well. This tank im battling algae a little bit. The Turbo helped a little but i feel as if i need to either add another one or add some cross flow so theres less dead spots. I also want to add a tailspot but no store has any ATM :furious::furious:.

Im promise i will take a picture when im less embarrassed :(

If you're getting any ammonia at all that means you've got a mini cycle going, which is not uncommon in young tanks. It happens every time your bioload increases faster than the bacteria can reproduce. It takes them a week or two to catch up. It's part of the reason why it's so much easier to grow finicky corals in more mature tanks.

You can dose a little Seachem Prime to protect your tank residents from the effects of the ammonia while it gets cycled out.

If you're getting any ammonia at all that means you've got a mini cycle going, which is not uncommon in young tanks. It happens every time your bioload increases faster than the bacteria can reproduce. It takes them a week or two to catch up. It's part of the reason why it's so much easier to grow finicky corals in more mature tanks.

You can dose a little Seachem Prime to protect your tank residents from the effects of the ammonia while it gets cycled out.

Thanks teeny I was starting to freak out a little bit wondering if I should do more water changes or something... Also while your checking In I was wondering about adding a wave max or something to add more flow around the tank to help with some of the algae that's growing. If know you have a eco tech in your does that extra flow seem to really help?

An extra water change is always a good idea when your parameter are off :D

The MP-10 is very important in my tank. Without it there would never be enough flow, no matter how much I upgraded the stock return pump.

An extra water change is always a good idea when your parameter are off :D

The MP-10 is very important in my tank. Without it there would never be enough flow, no matter how much I upgraded the stock return pump.

That's what I'm feeling I need something simlar with this tank. What mode do you run it on and is it on constantly or just during the day? t night?does it seem to get the flow all around the tank and behind the rocks or just focus it?

I was looking into this

http://www.marinedepot.com/Maxspect_Gyre_Generator_Flow_Pump_Adjustable_Flow_Aquarium_Powerheads-Maxspect-0M30040-FIPHAD-vi.html

Because it seemed to cover more area but I know Eco tech is such a respected brand in this hobby. Opinions?

That's what I'm feeling I need something simlar with this tank. What mode do you run it on and is it on constantly or just during the day? t night?does it seem to get the flow all around the tank and behind the rocks or just focus it?

I was looking into this

http://www.marinedepot.com/Maxspect_Gyre_Generator_Flow_Pump_Adjustable_Flow_Aquarium_Powerheads-Maxspect-0M30040-FIPHAD-vi.html

Because it seemed to cover more area but I know Eco tech is such a respected brand in this hobby. Opinions?

From what I've heard from others, the Gyre is way too big for a 10g tank. It would be like putting a hot tub jet in a mixing bowl - water all over the floor :blink:

I keep the MP10 on 24/7 in reefcrest mode (the random flow setting). So it constantly ramps the speed up and down. I can only set it to run at 50% speed or less before corals start getting blown away. So I could get high flow to every part of the tank, but the corals wouldn't like having it set that high.

In my opinion, no single pump can put high flow in every nook and cranny of the tank, that's more of a function of the way you do your scape. And of course you want some low flow areas so you can keep corals that don't like high flow like ricordea.

To keep things clean, I turn the pump up a couple notches higher than usual, then a blow off the rocks and stir up the sand with the turkey baster. The MP10 creates enough flow to keep most of the goop suspended until it gets filtered out.

So ive been monitoring the ammonia in the tank to make sure it doesn't spike to high. I did go to the store to get some Prime just in case. Its rollercoastering right now going from .5 to 4. Im really not sure why. Either way things seem to be doing better and ill probably dose some prime before the weekend since i go away for it.

I think i will be buying an MP10 to help get some extra flow in the tank and try to discourage some algae grown and encourage nutrient transport.

I also plan on adding a tailspot to the tank but my lfs doesn't have any and liveaquaria requires a minimum amount to order and i hate paying more shipping then what im buying :(

I might just get another turbo snail to see if it might do the job.

FlamingPrawn

So ive been monitoring the ammonia in the tank to make sure it doesn't spike to high. I did go to the store to get some Prime just in case. Its rollercoastering right now going from .5 to 4. Im really not sure why. Either way things seem to be doing better and ill probably dose some prime before the weekend since i go away for it.

I think i will be buying an MP10 to help get some extra flow in the tank and try to discourage some algae grown and encourage nutrient transport.

I also plan on adding a tailspot to the tank but my lfs doesn't have any and liveaquaria requires a minimum amount to order and i hate paying more shipping then what im buying :(

I might just get another turbo snail to see if it might do the job.

Next time you come up this way we can go check out a LFS here that usually has them... (tailspot). as for the mp10 i'm sure you could find one cheap these days (older models) just dont do what i did and put it on the blue setting and make waves that splash out of you tank.

Next time you come up this way we can go check out a LFS here that usually has them... (tailspot). as for the mp10 i'm sure you could find one cheap these days (older models) just dont do what i did and put it on the blue setting and make waves that splash out of you tank.

Sounds like fun :happydance:

what store im driving up to PA this weekend maybe i can stop on the way back to pick it up

So this tank got a new inhabitant. Meet Jackson

26169619274_a4933ff913.jpg

Hes the new Tailspot blenny already making himself at home in one of his many caves. Hes got a lot of work to do.

Also look at this frogspawn!! Hes taking over! IM not sure what to do about it.

26169692404_709fe989ff.jpg

FlamingPrawn

So this tank got a new inhabitant. Meet Jackson

26169619274_a4933ff913.jpg

Hes the new Tailspot blenny already making himself at home in one of his many caves. Hes got a lot of work to do.

Also look at this frogspawn!! Hes taking over! IM not sure what to do about it.

26169692404_709fe989ff.jpg

frag it. If you can differentiate between heads just take bone cutters and cut them apart :) Make your 10 gallon an Euphyllia paradise! Frogspawns, Torches, Hammers, etc

frag it. If you can differentiate between heads just take bone cutters and cut them apart :) Make your 10 gallon an Euphyllia paradise! Frogspawns, Torches, Hammers, etc

i would frag him but i have not place to put frags :( that and im not totally sure where to cut. You can see the different heads but its really only 2!

This tank is becoming a headache. I want the algae under control. I had some snails die which spiked my ammonia and i think i have gotten them out so things can become more stable. I added two mexican turbos and a tailspot blenny to help. My one mexican turbo i had isn't doing well. Hes acting drunk all the time staying in the same place when he does crawl he falls off rocks and falls of the glass so im expecting him to die as well. I hope theres not something in the water that would kill them off.

ammonia is staying around 1ppm. Id post a picture but im embarrassed at the algae disaster of this tank :(

teenyreef

This tank is becoming a headache. I want the algae under control. I had some snails die which spiked my ammonia and i think i have gotten them out so things can become more stable. I added two mexican turbos and a tailspot blenny to help. My one mexican turbo i had isn't doing well. Hes acting drunk all the time staying in the same place when he does crawl he falls off rocks and falls of the glass so im expecting him to die as well. I hope theres not something in the water that would kill them off.

ammonia is staying around 1ppm. Id post a picture but im embarrassed at the algae disaster of this tank :(

I'm sorry to hear things aren't going well, I totally get how frustrating that feels!

I've been there a couple times with my tanks, and one thing that helped was to take the attitude that since things are going badly, I probably can't make things much worse with any crazy solutions I want to try :)

If you are continuing to measure any ammonia at all, that's a crisis for the creatures in your tank, because ammonia will kill them very quickly. You can help by immediately doing large water changes, and adding Seachem Prime to neutralize the ammonia. Otherwise you get into a cycle like you seem to be in where the ammonia kills something like a snail, it decomposes, and creates more ammonia, ad nauseum. The trick is to get a head of it and stay ahead, so that the tank has a chance to complete the mini cycle and get back on track.

The algae will come and go, and mostly goes away with time once the tank gets more mature. Hang in there!

So I think my test kit is broken. I have been using the api ammonia test kit. Yesterday I did a 10% water change and removed everything that had died or was possibly dieing. Checked the ammonia this morning and it was 8 ppm very dark blue. There was no way this was right so I saw I had an api nh3 test kit and did that one. It came back at o to .25 ppm... So I did both test again. Ammonia was 1ppm and nh3 was 0 again. Besides the algae everything is open and alive and the fish look great. I need to get a new tester so which one is more reliable. I'm not sure I trust either at the moment but I don't think my situation is as bad as I though

teenyreef

Api test kits are notoriously unreliable and or hard to read. The Nitrate test requires shaking the reagent like crazy and the Ammonia test hardly ever seems to read zero.

A lot of people just get an Ammonia badge while the tank cycles since it's very unusual to have ammonia once the tank cycles.

In general, Salifert, Red Sea, and Hanna are all good. I like the red sea pro Nitrate test kit, the Salifert Ammonia, calcium, and Mag test kits, and Hanna checkers for Alk and phosphates.

Archived