Innovative Marine Aquariums

Something growing on my live rock

Rookie1

My tank is still pretty new but when I started it I got a couple small pieces of live rock from the LFS, one covered nice coralline algae.

I've noticed something growing on it and thinking it was hair algae I didn't think much of it. They appear to be coming out of holes in the rock, there are 3.

Thoughts??

25947945723_d0d54306d9_c.jpg

26550871165_98aa027a8a_c.jpg

william_payne1

i had one of these in a tank once i think its a Corynactis or a type of strawberry anemone it never caused any problems for me, then one day my shrimp found it tasty

AlejandroDelRey

i had one of these in a tank once i think its a Corynactis or a type of strawberry anemone it never caused any problems for me, then one day my shrimp found it tasty

I had one of these and thought it was an aiptasia. Blew a bunch of boiling water at it and killed it LOL

william_payne1

I had one of these and thought it was an aiptasia. Blew a bunch of boiling water at it and killed it LOL

LOL, I had mine for about 6 months, cool to watch at night when feeding, I added some mysis and it loved it.

Sounds like I'm safe?? :D It's not going to morph into a bobbit worm or one day explode and poison my tank?? Some of the hitchhikers is this hobby are freaky!! This one on the surface of things is at least pretty.

william_payne1

Sounds like I'm safe?? :D It's not going to morph into a bobbit worm or one day explode and poison my tank?? Some of the hitchhikers is this hobby are freaky!! This one on the surface of things is at least pretty.

well not 100% safe, they will sting coral so I would keep them away from zoas and other coral that can get irritated by them. I placed mine so they were at the bottom facing the rear of the tank so they could be left to do as they please. Just something to think about.

well not 100% safe, they will sting coral so I would keep them away from zoas and other coral that can get irritated by them. I placed mine so they were at the bottom facing the rear of the tank so they could be left to do as they please. Just something to think about.

That works. I've only got a few zoas in my tank so far and they are pretty far away. Luckily these little things are on a small rock I could place anywhere.

They sure are pretty. Are they pretty hardy or do I need some special care instructions for them? They were already near the bottom of the rock not getting much light so I left them where they were at.

william_payne1

That works. I've only got a few zoas in my tank so far and they are pretty far away. Luckily these little things are on a small rock I could place anywhere.

They sure are pretty. Are they pretty hardy or do I need some special care instructions for them? They were already near the bottom of the rock not getting much light so I left them where they were at.

no special care, they don't need light and they will feed off of what ever is in your tank as you feed fish and coral, they do spread but very slowly from what I have found, much slower than any coral I have had.

I would take the rock out and burn them...Your Tank is to small for a pest like that as they will eventually take over your Tank.

william_payne1

If they spread slowly as indicated above, could I just inject them with boiling water if one pops up where I don't want it??

it's up to you, it can be done that way, some people like a pest free tank, others (like myself) deal with particular pests that they don't like and leave the rest so the reef is as natural as possible.

I've had one or those in my tank since start-up (1.5-2 years??). I recently noticed a few more but they are all tiny, smaller than a pea, maybe caper sized I can't see them taking over a tank since that seems to be as big as they get. I think they're cool and haven't noticed any issues from them.

Archived