SaltCritters.com

DrGibby's 4g shutting them down :(

drgibby

I'm glad things are going better. Zoas are very mysterious, between my two display tanks and the frag tank. there's always at least one tank where they aren't doing well even though the parameters are basically the same in all three tanks.

They definitely can be bothered by inverts crawling over them, although usually that's a temporary condition.

As far as calcium goes, you really need to pay attention if you've got a lot of stony corals growing, like montis, or if you are trying to keep really finicky corals like acros. You'll know if you need to dose because calcium will go down steadily, and your alk will go down significantly every day (like .5 or more). 360 is lower than ideal, but I don't know what the calcium level of your new saltware is, so it's hard to say how much it's been depleted.

If you do dose, use a good two-part and dose both parts, at different times of the day. Don't just dose one because it will affect the level of the other element and you'll be constantly chasing parameters.

I use Seachem Fusion 1 & 2, and Aqua Vitro Ions for magnesium. But there's nothing magic about what I chose, it's just what they had at the LFS when I started dosing and I've never had a reason to change.

After reading this I decided to check my calcium today again. The last time I checked was Saturday so it's been 2 days and calcium is down to 340.

I have made 2 decisions....figure out how to do dosing and automate it because I'm lazy

And buy better testing supplies... Common bulk reef lets do this group buy alread

• Like 1

After reading this I decided to check my calcium today again. The last time I checked was Saturday so it's been 2 days and calcium is down to 340.

I have made 2 decisions....figure out how to do dosing and automate it because I'm lazy

And buy better testing supplies... Common bulk reef lets do this group buy alread

Yeah, it may be time! But also check to see how much it goes up after a water change first.

Yeah, it may be time! But also check to see how much it goes up after a water change first.

Water change day is scheduled for Wednesday. Should it go up a bunch? What should I be expecting?

Also what dosers do people use some are pretty expensive I see...

I've got one and it works well. The only problem using it in a 4g tank is that it has a minimum dose size of 1ml. So it's hard to dial in the precise dose needed. I dilute my dosing solution 3:1 to help with that problem.

• Like 1

I've got one and it works well. The only problem using it in a 4g tank is that it has a minimum dose size of 1ml. So it's hard to dial in the precise dose needed. I dilute my dosing solution 3:1 to help with that problem.

I have a feeling this is going to be a long tiring process...

wow.such.chris

What salt mix are you using?

With the small water volume and low number of stony corals I really don't think dosing is a good idea. I would test Ca and Alk every day for two weeks with weekly water changes of at least 2 gallons before you decide to start dosing. IMO water changes should take care of any and all of your Ca depletion in a tank at this volume and stage of maturity.

What salt mix are you using?

With the small water volume and low number of stony corals I really don't think dosing is a good idea. I would test Ca and Alk every day for two weeks with weekly water changes of at least 2 gallons before you decide to start dosing. IMO water changes should take care of any and all of your Ca depletion in a tank at this volume and stage of maturity.

Im using instant ocean salt mix.

I am going to start monitoring them much more closely for sure. Also i have heard that when the tank starts growing coralline algae it really starts to suck the CA levels low.

wow.such.chris

Im using instant ocean salt mix.

I am going to start monitoring them much more closely for sure. Also i have heard that when the tank starts growing coralline algae it really starts to suck the CA levels low.

That is true, regardless I'd bet you could handle that with water changes. I've had my 20 gallon for almost 3 years now and have never really NEEDED to dose. Yeah, it probably could help keep Ca elevated and would accelerate growth but I'd never drop below 350 with weekly 20% water changes. that was with a caulastrea colony about 9 inches across, 2 large monti cap plates, and lots of other various stony corals.

Be wary of the test kit you are using as well. What are you testing with?

• Like 1

That is true, regardless I'd bet you could handle that with water changes. I've had my 20 gallon for almost 3 years now and have never really NEEDED to dose. Yeah, it probably could help keep Ca elevated and would accelerate growth but I'd never drop below 350 with weekly 20% water changes. that was with a caulastrea colony about 9 inches across, 2 large monti cap plates, and lots of other various stony corals.

Be wary of the test kit you are using as well. What are you testing with?

I do weakly gallon water changes to this point so i guess thats 25% a week. It seems to have been doing well and besides the fruit loops being angry i haven't noticed an issue. Corals are all growing and doing ok.

That is something i am definitely looking into. I have been using API but this weekend when BRS has the group buy im ordering some new test kits that are more reliable. right now leaning toward the Red Sea reef kit. Would do hanna checkers but i dont have enough cash at the moment.

wow.such.chris

I do weakly gallon water changes to this point so i guess thats 25% a week. It seems to have been doing well and besides the fruit loops being angry i haven't noticed an issue. Corals are all growing and doing ok.

That is something i am definitely looking into. I have been using API but this weekend when BRS has the group buy im ordering some new test kits that are more reliable. right now leaning toward the Red Sea reef kit. Would do hanna checkers but i dont have enough cash at the moment.

The API test kit is why you're getting low Ca levels. I can almost guarantee that your Ca is fine and that it is test kit error. The Red Sea test kits is fantastic. Make sure to update once you get it, I'd be interested to see if the problem really was the API test kit. Good luck!

After water change today it was 340 before and 2 hours after it was 380. I won't do anything to it yet until I have a new test kit just interesting to track. Still wish I could figure out why the fruit loops won't open though

So ive been reading froot loops like lower light with moderate flow. Im trying to decide if a coral will open for a while while acclimating but then all of a sudden decide its to bright and close up. They have been closed now for about 2 weeks When do i start to worry do i need to move them lower or start changing locations? Since they use to be open and reproducing in this location is location light and flow not really an issue.

Fruit Loops are weird,my lfs had them under ati hybrid fixtures,getting blasted with par,i get them to my tank and they close up,ita still growing polyps but not opening. I moved them down about 2 inches and magically they opened. And are recieving maybe 50-80 less par (so im guessing). Zoa's are stupid and thats why i love them lol.

Fruit Loops are weird,my lfs had them under ati hybrid fixtures,getting blasted with par,i get them to my tank and they close up,ita still growing polyps but not opening. I moved them down about 2 inches and magically they opened. And are recieving maybe 50-80 less par (so im guessing). Zoa's are stupid and thats why i love them lol.

I can understand a bit if its moving from tank to tank and not opening but they have been in that spot since i got them and have been happy. If they stay like this ill have to chisel them off the rock and try moving them down.....ugh that would be a pain :furious:

Even the store i got them from,saod they didnt settle in and become happy until almost a month before they decided to take off. Some morphs are a royal pain in the ass. Like my rastas have melted 2 times already and grown back to 10 polyps,my black hole sons have done the same thing and so have my super saiyans. Its the bs this hobby comes with man lol.

Even the store i got them from,saod they didnt settle in and become happy until almost a month before they decided to take off. Some morphs are a royal pain in the ass. Like my rastas have melted 2 times already and grown back to 10 polyps,my black hole sons have done the same thing and so have my super saiyans. Its the bs this hobby comes with man lol.

Crazy! With your Rastas did you move them around or was it the same spot and they just decided to come back

Nope,same spot both times. Now this time around after my move they are about middle way up the tank. And doing great.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a lot of new growth but the fruit loops started to open again. not all the way but just enough to know they are still alive. I did add a small amount of gfo about 2 days ago which seems to be helping. I also got a new test kit in red sea brand and tested Ca which was under 290.... things are good so im not going to change a thing.

• Like 2

Not a lot of new growth but the fruit loops started to open again. not all the way but just enough to know they are still alive. I did add a small amount of gfo about 2 days ago which seems to be helping. I also got a new test kit in red sea brand and tested Ca which was under 290.... things are good so im not going to change a thing.

Bump up that CA for sure. Having all the params in line will only better your tank.

-Dave

Just got in some new snails from John at reef cleaners trying to give the ones there some help. They seem to all be doing great added some ones to try and help clean the sand bed and stir things up so we will see how that goes. Been trying to also keep better track of my parameters they are all doing better ca is still a little to low but better. I'm looking for an app to track these anyone have some good ideas?

• Like 1
FlamingPrawn

Just got in some new snails from John at reef cleaners trying to give the ones there some help. They seem to all be doing great added some ones to try and help clean the sand bed and stir things up so we will see how that goes. Been trying to also keep better track of my parameters they are all doing better ca is still a little to low but better. I'm looking for an app to track these anyone have some good ideas?

Pen and paper ;) I've never had luck with apps that are Free. I'm too cheap to pay for them haha. I just had the iPad sitting next to the tank and would jot down when I took tests. Speaking of... Going on week 3 with no WC on the 4 :P. Might do one before we leave for vacation just to make sure its good.