Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Wretched 66 SCA

Wretched

Looking good. Any significant change like the reactor and chemipure will cause a reaction like that. I personally would still use some carbon and phosphate media, just start slow and small amounts. You'll see that corals will adjust to the cleaner water.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good. Any significant change like the reactor and chemipure will cause a reaction like that. I personally would still use some carbon and phosphate media, just start slow and small amounts. You'll see that corals will adjust to the cleaner water.

I ditched it for now, as I am running NoPox. But when I was running it, I removed 50% of the chemipure and only half dose on the carbon, which the reactor probably got a lot of contact and stripped it faster and better than just running the chemipure in a bag. But as of now, both are offline due to NoPox Dosing, going to give this a month or two and see how it goes. My nitrates are down to 15 on Day 5 now. I plan on doing a small maintenance water change tonight. I'm also ditching Red Sea Coral Pro and going back to H2Ocean. I like those paramters better than what RSCP has. Once i'm down with NoPox, I'll start over again with the carbon and chemipure probably at quarter dose, then up! Thanks bro

Cool, I've heard good things about the nopox. Sounds like you got it things covered.

Well, just did a round of testing again before I do a 7g water change...

As follows:

CA: 420

Alk: 8.4

Nitrites/Ammonia 0

Nitrates 8

Phos 0.02

Looks like NoPox is effective so far, i'm aiming for ~2ppm nitrates.

Is it the frogspawn heads that on the lower part of the group? That might be the cause. On my colonies I had the lower heads that always seemed pissed because they were being shaded by the rest of it. I trimmed it down and now they are fully expanded. The leather might be shedding... maybe try blowing on it with a turkey baster and see if anything comes off.

Is it the frogspawn heads that on the lower part of the group? That might be the cause. On my colonies I had the lower heads that always seemed pissed because they were being shaded by the rest of it. I trimmed it down and now they are fully expanded. The leather might be shedding... maybe try blowing on it with a turkey baster and see if anything comes off.

Yes, on the lower part. See photo down below. The frogspawn colony is large and I don't dare to remove it from the epoxy and the rock lol. The leather did go through a shed just this week, he seemed done...but its starting to get his 'sparkly' coat again? One shed after another? Possible. My leather does shed 2x a month give-or-take.

It almost looks like they're trying to split now that I inspect when the lights are off, any input?

20151017_210602_zpslkmedu8i.jpg

So for shits and giggles, I tested nitrate again but this time with the API it reads.... 20 ppm

My NYOS nitrate reads 8ppm. Argh.

First I just wanted to say I really like the style of the tank. Great use of flowing corals and negetive space/open sandbed.

Here is my deductive reasoning:

With the frogspawn, it is not a water quality issue or else all the heads would be closed. Since you have mulitple heads closed that do not appear to be connected by any tissue I think we can also rule out splitting. There is something about that area that is bothering the coral. Maybe its light, or flow or a critter like a shrimp or nipping fish. I would look to see what is differnt about that one spot compared to the rest of the frog spawn.

If the small open leathers are the same genetics as the big one then you can use the same reasoning as frogspawn. Maybe it grew to large and is in the path of a powerhead now or could it be getting stung by one of your lps? Again I would look for something physically bothering it.

I personally like to run carbon all the time. I have done silly things before, like putting way to much not rinsed carbon into a pico. It tinted the water black, the coral only looked mildly irritated and 10 minutes later the water cleared up and everything was back to normal. I doubt you could do any harm using carbon as you discribed.

Yes, on the lower part. See photo down below. The frogspawn colony is large and I don't dare to remove it from the epoxy and the rock lol. The leather did go through a shed just this week, he seemed done...but its starting to get his 'sparkly' coat again? One shed after another? Possible. My leather does shed 2x a month give-or-take.

It almost looks like they're trying to split now that I inspect when the lights are off, any input?

So for shits and giggles, I tested nitrate again but this time with the API it reads.... 20 ppm

My NYOS nitrate reads 8ppm. Argh.

That head is in the process of splitting yes, but splitting doesn't cause the tentacles to retract in my experience. Just kinda happens and the piece overall gets bushier over time.

Honestly, that's really my main "beef" with leathers. They are in some ways a extremely easy coral to keep yet they do have this odd finicky and frustrating side where they get that glossy sheen for...sometimes a week! I wish I had more experience with leathers but I never really got attracted to them tbh lol, I had two eight years ago (which doesn't mean much).

Just keep up with water changes and NoPox and if you wanna try some other dosing stuff, go for it. Who knows? Could be the weirdest thing like Magnesium or heck, strontium lol!

Good luck! :)

First I just wanted to say I really like the style of the tank. Great use of flowing corals and negetive space/open sandbed.

Here is my deductive reasoning:

With the frogspawn, it is not a water quality issue or else all the heads would be closed. Since you have mulitple heads closed that do not appear to be connected by any tissue I think we can also rule out splitting. There is something about that area that is bothering the coral. Maybe its light, or flow or a critter like a shrimp or nipping fish. I would look to see what is differnt about that one spot compared to the rest of the frog spawn.

If the small open leathers are the same genetics as the big one then you can use the same reasoning as frogspawn. Maybe it grew to large and is in the path of a powerhead now or could it be getting stung by one of your lps? Again I would look for something physically bothering it.

I personally like to run carbon all the time. I have done silly things before, like putting way to much not rinsed carbon into a pico. It tinted the water black, the coral only looked mildly irritated and 10 minutes later the water cleared up and everything was back to normal. I doubt you could do any harm using carbon as you discribed.

Some good options, and all have been considered. As it's been a week, i've nixed fish nipping, coral bothering(possible, but these two hammers have been next to each other for years.) Shadowing.... i'm about 75% leaning towards. the other 25, im not sure. Haha.

As for the leather, he's way in the back and nothing has changed (other than the new tank, possible he's now feeling the effects of a newer tank?) He's shed once already and started to extend polyps, but it looks like he's about to shed again as he just did this week....

The only reason I took carbon/gfo offline was to dose my NoPox, and as above stated parameters, it's working. I do plan on continuing carbon in the reactor and chemipure... i'll gradually ramp up to my dosage after I finish with NoPox. I've never had a 'bad' nitrate spike as such, not even sure if 40 ppm is that bad for a LPS/softy tank, but I do plan on bringing them down to ~2.

I am with you on the carbon dosage amount though, everything else looks great in the tank. My other leathers, just fine. It's those 4 heads and my large leather. They don't look like they're dying so i'm not worried. They just dont extend... so after writing this long post, i'm about 83% shadowing is the factor now LOL.

That head is in the process of splitting yes, but splitting doesn't cause the tentacles to retract in my experience. Just kinda happens and the piece overall gets bushier over time.

Honestly, that's really my main "beef" with leathers. They are in some ways a extremely easy coral to keep yet they do have this odd finicky and frustrating side where they get that glossy sheen for...sometimes a week! I wish I had more experience with leathers but I never really got attracted to them tbh lol, I had two eight years ago (which doesn't mean much).

Just keep up with water changes and NoPox and if you wanna try some other dosing stuff, go for it. Who knows? Could be the weirdest thing like Magnesium or heck, strontium lol!

Good luck! :)

See above post, forgot to tag you as well, sir. I just finished my 8g or so water change. So as I said my leather had shed this week already, and was done... it looks like he's about to shed again, which is odd never had back-to-back sheds. Had to be the carbon...

20151017_221102_zpsskg9mhce.jpg

I have a lyretail in my tank. You would be fine with just 1 in there IMO. I know some people might object and say you need a bigger tank. Mine is doing great so far. Hangs out with the clowns, has plenty of rock to hide in and sleep at night, eats like a pig. The other night I saw him sleeping inside a hole in one of the rocks with just a small part of it's tail hanging out. That fish is a lot of fun to watch and hasn't had any issues with anything in the tank.

I had downsized from a 90g to a 36g and my 2 lyre tail anthias made the change. I kept them both for over 2 years in the 36g until recently when I gave them to a local reefer so I could take my 36g in a different direction.

I had downsized from a 90g to a 36g and my 2 lyre tail anthias made the change. I kept them both for over 2 years in the 36g until recently when I gave them to a local reefer so I could take my 36g in a different direction.

Good to know, so far I still have the two anthias. Three just wasn't my number. One anthias is plump, big and happy. the other is getting skinny. Very finnicky in trying to find what he likes.... Spits out mysis, flake, pellet, brine... He seems to like the Cobalt Cyclops, but im not sure it's enough nutrition because his belly is looking thin. I do soak in Selcon as well... nothing.

Good to know, so far I still have the two anthias. Three just wasn't my number. One anthias is plump, big and happy. the other is getting skinny. Very finnicky in trying to find what he likes.... Spits out mysis, flake, pellet, brine... He seems to like the Cobalt Cyclops, but im not sure it's enough nutrition because his belly is looking thin. I do soak in Selcon as well... nothing.

Try frozen marine cuisine. Mine ate any and everything but they really liked that.

Try frozen marine cuisine. Mine ate any and everything but they really liked that.

Wilco. I actually have that in the 4 saltwater multi pack, just not sure which one it is. Which color does the cube have? The box contains Emerald entree, squid, cuisine and some other, but doesn't tell which ones are which

Wilco. I actually have that in the 4 saltwater multi pack, just not sure which one it is. Which color does the cube have? The box contains Emerald entree, squid, cuisine and some other, but doesn't tell which ones are which

Emerald Entree is green, marine cuisine looks kind of like brine shrimp in color. If I remember correctly the squid is whitish. The anthias may eat the Emerald Entree too but it needs a higher protein content right now until it fastens up a bit.

Emerald Entree is green, marine cuisine looks kind of like brine shrimp in color. If I remember correctly the squid is whitish. The anthias may eat the Emerald Entree too but it needs a higher protein content right now until it fastens up a bit.

Let me get you a picture... So you can identify. Stand by

20151020_132654_zpsgjcrwxoe.jpg

Hmmm, it's either the 1st row from the left or the 3rd. I would guess the 1st. Are you sure it doesn't say what the last food is? I used to buy those variety packs but I can't remember what was in them either. My guess is that both the 1st and 3rd rows are meaty with protein judging by the color.

Hmmm, it's either the 1st row from the left or the 3rd. I would guess the 1st. Are you sure it doesn't say what the last food is? I used to buy those variety packs but I can't remember what was in them either. My guess is that both the 1st and 3rd rows are meaty with protein judging by the color.

I figured as much but no it doesn't say specifically. On the back yes it does say what is in it... but it doesn't like label it above the row. I'll try both within a couple days and see the response I get from the anthias. The larger anthias eats everything I throw in. The smaller just doesn't dig anything.

On a good note, 3/4 heads of frogspawn are back open and the 1 that's closed is for sure losing to shadow. The leather was indeed shedding again, twice in a row... never had that happen; had to be from the introduction of carbon in the reactor... Wasn't much carbon, only 120ml. I've ran way more prior to the reactor, except it was in a media bag... Possible was more effective in the reactor than in the bag which caused a shock? My heater took a dump on my last night which leaving my tank @ 76 degrees. I keep it consistent at 78.5-79 at all times. So I ordered a new heater. Luckily I live in California and it's hot here so ambient temperature was only 74 in the house.

So I went to Petco today to see what I could rescue from that monstrosity of a place... Guess what I found? An Indigo Dottyback!! The guy is super blue, almost electric like the ORA ones... He's in the drip acclimation currently.

Guess what I paid???

14.99!!!!

FTS Update

2015-10-20_16.01.39_zpsbskwu3mm.jpg

Archived